zx heater blower - volcane
I have a problem with a non-functioning heater blower. I have read all the relevant threads admitedly after I spent many long hours investigating the problem.
The Story.
The blower was working perfectly but didn't work after returning from the supermarket.
I looked at the fuses all ok, then looked at the resistor seemed ok but tried a new one anyway no luck. Then took out the motor and powered it directly works fine. Then stripped down to the switch seems ok but no power there. Then discovered no power across the fuse. Should have done this first but was sort of working backwards.
What now???? should there be power across the fuse at all times? why is there no power at switch if fuse ok. Getting fed up and have too big a collection of spare screws!!!!!!

Please Help.
zx heater blower - RichardW
I know of problems with this on Saxos and Xantias, so it's likely to affect the ZX also. The power for the blower is switched by the ignition switch, which isn't man enough for the job, and burns out. You can fix by replacing the ignition switch. However, I guess there is no reason you can't install a relay, taking a feed straight off the battery and using any convenient ignition on live to feed to the switching side of the relay.

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
zx heater blower - Maud-Dib
I had this exact problem a few months back when I brought a k plate ZX Aura. When I went to see the car at the dealer I tried every electrical component apart from the heater blower (so easy to forget when your making sure the windows and lights work). I didn't realise that it wasn't working until I was driving it home. I thought it must be something simple to sort out like a fuse or relay in the dash or engine bay. So I checked the fuse charts in the citroen manual and found that the blower was tied into the same fuse and relays as other electrical equipment like the sun roof which was working. Confused I contacted the garage as it was on warranty still. They took it in checked it and found the problem - apparently the control switch which allows you to change the blower speed had gone. Now this can go with out knocking out other electronic equipment. They ordered the replacement and fixed it quickly.

Now the bad news - to diagnose and replace said component they need to take your dashboard apart which means your car is going to be in for a few hours. I can't comment on the cost of the component as this was a warranty job and not my problem but I got the impression that it was inexpensive (that should be good news).

I have to say that since this was done no problems, I'm very happy with the car and the garages service.

On another note try the garage at a citroen main dealer, at the moment they are trying to regain market share from back lane garages, AA/Halfords and motor factors. I have found my local citroen main dealer very helpful and competative.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Don't know what this business about the blower being tied into the ignition system is about - sound silly to me.
zx heater blower - volcane
Thanks Richard, your advice led to a cure. Took car to autospark yest evening he had a quick hoke found no power getting to fuse board as I knew but thought key switch ok. Took a live from behind the fuse board put in a relay and got it going. 20 mins and 20 quid. Was amazing to see how quick he did it.

Maud I already had stripped the car and the switch was ok thanks anyway.

D
zx heater blower - Maud-Dib
Lucky it was simple, I know when people mention Citroens and electrics people tend to go cross eyed.

Which is a shame as they are good cars - when people put down the ZX I like to point out that under the skin it's a 306.

Happy Driving ... Maud-Dib