'Time out' when composing replies? - LHM
On quite a few occasions, I've been caught out by what appears to be a 'timeout' function when composing a reply to a backroom thread. It's not a case of being long-winded, just trying to make a considered response.......

On hitting 'Post Message', the login screen appears again (even though I'm already logged in), and logging in then 'wipes' that considered response from the reply form! No amount of using the 'Back' browser button restores it, either :-(

Have others found this a problem, and is there a way of overcoming it? Or shall I resort to the quick, ill-considered one-liners which so often cause unwitting offence to other Backroomers??!

I've taken to copying the text before posting, ready to paste it back if this 'problem' occurs.............

\'Time out\' when composing replies? - HF
LHM - take a look in the \'Announcements\' section. There\'s an explanation there of how to avoid this.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=3&t=78...5
'Time out' when composing replies? - LHM
I'm indebted to you, HF!

It just goes to show that no matter how familiar some things are, it pays to check out things like 'FAQs' and 'Announcements'!!!

Thanks again,
David
'Time out' when composing replies? - THe Growler
What I do miss compared with the other fora I infest is the lack of an Edit/Delete facility. Have never understood this.
'Time out' when composing replies? - HF
David - you are welcome. I cannot take credit for the link though, Mark or Dave must have put that in for me - thanks mods.
'Time out' when composing replies? - frostbite
What I do miss compared with the other fora I infest
is the lack of an Edit/Delete facility. Have never understood this.

Amen to that!
'Time out' when composing replies? - Dan J
I've taken to copying the text before posting, ready to paste
it back if this 'problem' occurs.............

Well done that man! Exactly my method.

One word of warning though - my usual system composes of highlighting the text and pressing 'Ctrl'+C to copy it. Do make sure to keep the Control button pressed as watching your hour's worth of beautiful prose being replaced by a "c" can induce a large bout of Tourette's and deprive us fellow readers of your words as wisdom as you go off to sulk!
'Time out' when composing replies? - Mark (RLBS)
>>keep the Control button pressed as watching your hour's worth of beautiful prose being replaced by a "c"

If that happens to you, immediately try ctrl-z, you might be surprised what happens next.
'Time out' when composing replies? - Alfafan {P}
I write my longer replies in "Word", use the spellcheck and then copy and paste into the message box. That way, I can take time out part way through the message to do some of the things I'm paid for! :)
'Time out' when composing replies? - Dan J
If that happens to you, immediately try ctrl-z, you might be
surprised what happens next.

As they say, you learn something new every day!

Clearly a poet and I didn't know it...
'Time out' when composing replies? - mondeo-man
This just happened to me too. At the second attempt, I found it easier to compose in Word and then copy/paste into The Back Room. Does anyone know how long you get before 'time out'?
about 20 minutes.
\'Time out\' when composing replies? - Dynamic Dave
I found it easier to compose in Word and then copy/paste
into The Back Room.

Sometimes this method will put spurious characters into the text once you\'ve posted your message. If you can remember, press the preview button to check before actually submitting.
It's probably me, but whenever I've tried writing in Word and then copying/pasting, it doesn't work. ie my copy and paste in Word doesn't seem compatible with the AOL one, and I can't move the AOL screen so that I can have Word appearing on the screen at the same time. I am explaining this appallingly, but, if anyone can make head or tail of what I'm saying, could you just let me know if I'm being thick please?
[sigh]

You've probably got both windows expanded to full size which is why you can't see mroe than one at a time, however that doesn't really matter.

Go to word, use the mouse and select all the text. Type Ctrl-c.

Go to the other window, click on it with the mouse and press ctrl-v. - the text should appear...

As if by magic, a door appeared.................
Ok, am testing this right now.

Aha!! Got it - thanks Mark!
'Time out' when composing replies? - eMBe {P}
It's probably me, >>

HF: Next time start up AOL, minimise the AOL window, then start up Internet Explorer. Then onwards, use the IE windows for your surfing. Keeping AOL minimised will keep your connection live, but you can then be free to surf independently via IE. Try it and report back.