Golf Mk3 clock resets itself - CM
An annoyance rather than a problem but every so often when I turn the ignition on the digital clock resets itself (to midnight).

Does anyone here have the first idea what might eb causing this? I think that I might have asked this before but couldn't find it in the search. SWMBO is nagging me.

For your info the car starts without any problems so doubt that there is a bad connection. It also started when it returned from its service at the main dealer but I am loathe to take it back there to get them to sort it out as proving that they did it would be impossible and I am unwilling to pay £85 an hour ex VAT.

Thoughts on a DIY fix would be very welcome (remembering that anything too technical might possibly go over my head!).
Golf Mk3 clock resets itself - Dynamic Dave
I vaguely remember this being previously asked before. I'll do a search of previous posts and post the link if I can find it. In the mean time if anyone else can help...?
Well found a couple of threads that both suggest the battery is on it's last legs.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=32...9

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=11...5
I vaguely remember this being previously asked before.

I was right; previously asked by you before. lol. One of the links I provided was posted by you. I take it that the suggestions mentioned in that previous thread were of no help then?
Golf Mk3 clock resets itself - John S
CM

The clock is clearly seeing zero (or very few) volts for a short time which is causing the reset.

I've seen this when a battery was getting near its end, and starting the car on cold mornings dragged the volts down to the point where the clock reset.

The clock has a permanent connection to the battery to maintain it during periods when the car's parked. You indicate the reset occurs when the ignition is turned on, not when you start the engine, which is strange as the ignition doesn't drop the volts significantly. I wonder if the supply to the clock 'changes over' when the ignition's turned on to activate the illumination in the clock, and there's a contact problem in the ignition switch which leaves the clock unpowered for an instant.

Regards

John S
Golf Mk3 clock resets itself - NRB
As the other replies have suggested the indications are that the battery is not in good shape. I had exactly the same symptoms on my Golf mk3 (1.4) and a replacement battery did the trick. Initially it seemed to be starting fine, but after a couple of days the battery died.
Golf Mk3 clock resets itself - CM
Thanks all for the replies.

yes I did post it earlier but couldn't find the details.

Resets itself to zero when engine turnign over and not when I put the ignition on (sorry!)

also sometimes when I go to start up there is a hesitation before the starter motor turns - is this another sign that the battery is on the way out?

Presumably there is no point recharging and a new one is needed. if I buy a new one (say from Halfords) how much charge do they usually come with and do I have to do a decent run to get it up to full charge?
Presumably there is no point recharging and a new one is
needed.

Not necessarily. All that may be wrong is that the battery contacts need a good clean up. Remove one at a time and give both the contact and connector a good wire brushing and reasemble, giving all the contact surfaces a good smearing of petrollium jelly.
if I buy a new one (say from Halfords) how much charge do
they usually come with...

All depends on how long they've had the thing sat on the shelf.
and do I have to do a decent run to get it up to full charge?

An overnight charge with a battery charger would be more preferable.