Bleeding diesel - Alvin Booth
In the handbook for my Vectra 2.0DTi it gives instructions for restarting the car if the tank has become completely empty.
For the X1.7DT diesel engine it goes on to say it can be restarted by automatically bleeding the fuel system by use of the starter motor.
For the X20 DTL engine however it says. "Never let tank become empty!!"
"On account of the very high injection pressure a complicated procedure is required to bleed the system, this must be carried out by a Vauxhall Dealership".
What is this complicated procedure?? Is it bleeding at each injector as some engines require anyway or is there actually something more complicated as they say.
regards

Alvin
Bleeding diesel - David Lacey
Nope, nothing more than priming the filter with the priming bulb (if fitted - well done Rover!) and slackening off the HP injector pipes to bleed the FIP, whilst cranking the engine.
Prolonged cranking to bleed the system without priming and slacking off injector pipes would only burn the starter motor out.

I would, at all costs, avoid running out of diesel.

The bleeding procedure is different with modern common-rail systems, with the stand alone HP pump. Avoid running these out of fuel at all costs.
I will look at the Rover 75 CDT manual on Tuesday and look at the bleeding procedure & report back

Rgds

David
Re: Bleeding diesel - Peter
I ran out of Diesel in My Peugeot 406 HDI the other day - D'oh !!! but when I got hold of some and refilled the tank it started with no bother, I was a little apprehensive as I remember that very old diesel engines had to have the fuel systems bled. could I have caused any harm to the car ? Ive not had it long but I reckon its not as economical as they would have you believe, 42 - 44 mpg.
Re: Bleeding diesel - Alvin Booth
Thanks David,
No the Vectra dosn't have a priming bulb.
Changing the fuel filter the last time I forgot to refill it with diesel as I usually do, and it took some cranking before it would fire up.
You said you would look at the Rover 75CDT. Is that a similar set up as the Vectra having the Bosch high pressure pump?.
regards
Alvin
Common Rail Diesel Engines - David Lacey
Alvin,

The Rover 75 CDT has a *** engine, fitted with Bosch Common Rail Fuel Injection system. This is quite an advanced system to give accurate fuelling and therefore maximum power with low emissions.

I don't think (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that the Vectra DTI is a Common Rail engine. I think it employs the good old distributor type F I P.

I wouldn't advise running a Common Rail engine out of fuel. I'm sure there is some safeguard built in, but I wouldn't want to run the (expensive!) HP pump out of fuel, both from a complicated bleed procedure and premature wear point of view.

Some manufacturers have the forethought to fit a priming bulb into the fuel delivery line (Thank you Rover!) to provide a way of priming the fuel system - filling the fuel filter with unfiltered diesel fuel from a can is not the best way to prime a system. Think of the dirt (possibly) contained in the fuel.

Some technicians I see cranking and cranking the engine to prime the fuel system bring fear to me - burning out the starter motor in the process?

Rgds

David
Re: Common Rail Diesel Engines - Alvin Booth
David,
You are quite right in that the Vectra is not common rail.
However it does have the Bosch high pressure injection pump.
With regard to filling the fuel filter there is the possibility of getting dirt in but one would have difficulty starting again without slackening off the injector unions. I found this when I didn't fill it last time and it took quite a while for it to fire up.
I am careful about using the starter and only use it for a short burst and then let it rest for a while.
Thanks david

Alvin