Drink and Driving - The Final Medical - wibbler
Hi,
My dad got a caught last year, and is soon to be tested so that he can have his licence back. But no-one can tell him what the limits are for this test (ie what readings his tests have to result in, in order for him to pass). He is particularly worried about the liver test. Of course he has been drinking since he was banned - he goes to the pub, to parties, has drinks with the wife - but not to excess. He doesn't know at what point he should stop/cut down on drinking in order to pass...
Can anyone help?
Drink and Driving - The Final Medical - hootie
Don't know anything about this testing Wibbler, sorry - wouldn't his doctor or practice nurse be the best place to find out? If it were someone I knew that's what I'd recommend to them.
Drink and Driving - The Final Medical - Pugugly {P}
I had an LFT following a couple of nasty infections a couple of years ago. This was done at the local 'ospital, a blood sample was taken. They found a high reading in a particular enzyme and the first question asked by my GP was if I had had a serious drinking bout prior to the test. I had about 7 days earlier and he said that may well have affected the reading. I was told to abstain for a month and do a re-test which I did. The reading was still high. After all the worry it caused the good doc said that a lot of people walk around with an irregular reading anyway. Still enjoy a decent beer and a glass of vino now and again though.
Drink and Driving - The Final Medical - sean
Hello wibbler.

My understanding of the liver function test, in this respect, is that it's designed to weedle out banned drivers who haven't kicked their addiction.

"He doesn't know at what point to stop / cut down on his drinking in order to pass..."

Are you serious?

Is the idea just to pass the test, then carry on driving while sloshed?

Not a good move, particularly as the next penalty will be substantially higher than his first IMHO.

Get him to stop / curtail. The test is the least of his worries, mate.
Drink and Driving - The Final Medical - wibbler
Hi Sean,

I didn't mean that he was going to drink and drive afterwards - merely that he drinks at the moment at social events, and socially with his wife at home. If he passed, he wouldn't be drinking and driving again, he would drink OR drive...
Drink and Driving - The Final Medical - Hugo {P}
Hi Sean,
I didn't mean that he was going to drink and drive
afterwards - merely that he drinks at the moment at social
events, and socially with his wife at home. If he passed,
he wouldn't be drinking and driving again, he would drink OR
drive...

Sounds like a sensible approach.

Wish your dad the best of luck. It's too easy for people who have got into trouble with drink in one way or another to be castogated every time they even so much as look at alcoholic drink.

As long as he's sensible and is prepared to either plan ahead or take a taxi, walk home etc like everyone else when they've had a drink - fine.

****Signature? - Ideas on a postcard please anyone!****

Hugo
Drink and Driving - The Final Medical - Civlian
Hi Wibbler
I assume your Dad had a LFT when he was convicted?
Sorry to state the obvious, but without knowing what the enzyme activity was initially, it would be impossible for anyone to comment reliably and with authority on a later value, unless it was obviously much higher than 'normal'of course.
There are hundreds of thousands of people walking (and driving!!_) around with higher than 'normal' enzyme actvities - but the levels are 'normal' for them, and would be increased still further by drink.

Drink and Driving - The Final Medical - mr_right
I personally would tell him not to worry, my dad got done for dd and when he applied to get his license back he had to have a blood test etc, he still drank again at parties and the occasional night out he went for the test and was ok. I think it is to see if the person drinks HIGH amounts of alcohol (alcoholic) on a regular basis not someone who drinks in moderation (like most of us).