Dealer Sold Car With My Private Plate - ABZNorm

I recently traded in my car to a dealer. My car has a private plate but I was unable to do the retention online. The dealer subsequently applied for the retention via post and I paid them the fee.

I see now that the dealer has sold my old car ( currently reserved). Are they able to do this as surely the purchaser would have to wait till the retention is done and a new V5 is issued?

Dealer Sold Car With My Private Plate - _

The registration number of the vehicle passes along with the vehicle IF you have not done the retention.

No legal comeback

Dealer Sold Car With My Private Plate - daveyjp

No proof from what you say that the car has been sold with the private plate.

The car may be reserved until the retention is sorted.

Dealer Sold Car With My Private Plate - Manatee

Hadn't you better ask the dealer what's going on?

Just done that, awaiting an answer.

Just heard from the dealer, it is reserved but can’t be sold until I get the V5 post retention and pass it onto them..

Dealer Sold Car With My Private Plate - Manatee

I've not had occasion to experience it but I did hear there have been delays with DVLA since the pandemic. Either their staffing constraints or maybe they've got involved in some Covid-related work.

Lat time I did one online, it was instant - retention letter and plate authorisation available immediately.

Chatted to the DVLA online and apparently the reason I could not do the retention online was because “the car had been untaxed for more that 160 days in the last 5 years”.