Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - Sgt Pepper

Newbie question, but feel I need as much advice as possible before even thinking about taking the plunge, so here goes.

I currently own a 2015 Ford Focus 1.1 Ecoboost Titanium but always promised myself something much nicer, the MB A Class seems to fit the bill. It would need to be automatic around a 2017 plate.
Would I be doing the right thing upgrading, there are so many things that need doing around the house, but I keep telling myself I have worked hard all my life why not.
Seen this one the other day can't afford it yet but gives you an idea what I am looking for.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - _

My answer is, Do the house, it is mostly an appreciating asset.

A 4 year old car is going to carry on costing you money.

And more so if on finance. reflect and reflect and read the good and bad section on this website.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/a-clas.../

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - badbusdriver

At the end of the day, only you can answer the question based on your priorities.

But as you are asking, I would absolutely agree with ORB. You say, "I have worked hard all my life why not?". Fair enough, but you live in the house, so surely far more important to get anything which needs doing done. If the current car is not giving any problems, stick with it.

But specifically regarding the A -Class, IMO this is a decidedly average car hiding behind a posh badge. So personally I wouldn't have one anyway when there are so many better cars available for less money.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - DavidGlos

How much do you like Renault engines?

They’re cheaper in a Renault or Nissan than a Merc!

How much do you like Renault engines?

They’re cheaper in a Renault or Nissan than a Merc!

I know the A 160D and A 180D uses the Renault 1.5 turbo diesel (actually a very good engine), but I'm not sure any other A Class of that era uses a Renault engine?.

Not the same level of trim or looks on either of those.
Not the same level of trim or looks on either of those.

It has the same body, how can it not have the same looks?!. Might have smaller wheels (which actually means a better ride) and less spoilers (or none at all), but it is the same car.

Sorry I was replying to David Glos the post above yours.

Edited by Sgt Pepper on 17/03/2021 at 15:47

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - sammy1

Re Renault engines in a Mercedes

Although buyers can enquire which engine is in a vehicle why should they? I think a lot of buyers would automatically think the car would be all Mercedes. I know the practice has been going on for years by most manufacturers but as a customer I would feel short changed if a bought a brand and found the major components engine and gearbox were something else. Would you buy a RR with a Renault engine.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - Metropolis.
No, and I would be disappointed (in relative terms) to find a BMW engine under the bonnet too!
Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - pd

I get the argument but all cars are made up out of components manufactured by various companies.

Many makes with nothing seemingly in common will have the same gearboxes, ABS units, injection systems etc.

About 90% of automatic cars will have the same gearbox from about 3 manufacturers. In fact, unless it is a Mercedes it will almost certainly currently either have a Aisin 8-speed or ZF 8-speed.

On the basis that most small Mercedes engines have tended to be rubbish I wouldn't have too much issue with the A180 unit being the same as Renault.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - Metropolis.
The chassis on my Land Rover is/was actually made by GKN as the oem. I listed where a lot of other parts come from, some very good names like Bosch, ZF, Denso, Pilkington, Valeo, Alpine, now when something like a starter motor breaks I can blame shoddy japanese build quality :-)

r I would feel short changed if a bought a brand and found the major components engine and gearbox were something else. Would you buy a RR with a Renault engine.

Very few manufacturers make their own gearboxes these days and haven't in some cases ever.

Rolls-Royce haven't made their own gearbox since the 50s if ever.

I think these days you would probably find that quite a few major components come from other manufacturers, however how those components are set up/tweaked and interact can be be down to the individual manufacturer of the car you're purchasing.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - SLO76
Your Focus has one of the least reliable modern engines and if it is also equipped with Fords notoriously fragile Powershift auto box then yes it’s very much wise to get shot if it and double quick. I personally wouldn’t favour the A class, I’d go for a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv petrol auto which is a much better car.

Don't want to tempt fate but from what I read the Focus engine is very reliable. It is a manual and 57000 trouble free miles on the clock. I think all cars can/will get a bad reputation especially on forums, it's the nature of the beast I think.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - bazza

To be honest, aside from the poor reputation of the 1.0 Ecoboost, there's little point changing from a 2015 Focus to a 2017 ish A class. It really isn't anything special and I reckon your Focus probably drives better, handles better etc, although I haven't driven one I've been in one a few times and it is underwhelming. A Golf for example is a much nicer car. The A class has the big badge on the front but is otherwise very ordinary and built down to the same price point as any other hatch. I think it's called brand dilution or something similar, where a premium manufacturer offers a cheap entry level model with the badge in the hope that buyers will upgrade to the more premium models, C class, E class etc, which are a definite step up.

Don't want to tempt fate but from what I read the Focus engine is very reliable. It is a manual and 57000 trouble free miles on the clock. I think all cars can/will get a bad reputation especially on forums, it's the nature of the beast I think.

Don’t know where you’ve read this but ten mins spent googling Ford Ecoboost engine failure will horrify you. You must be confusing it with the very robust older Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol it replaces. The 1.0 Ecoboost isn’t well regarded by the trade and for good reason. Many have had replacement engines fitted before 40,000 miles. I wouldn’t recommend keeping one into its dotage. Get shot asap.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/03/2021 at 19:16

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - Ian_SW

The A class will seem a bit more "premium" than a Focus, and looking at Autotrader secondhand 2017 models seem to have a small price premium over the equivalent Ford, Vauxhall etc. but not as much as I expected.

However, if you intend to maintain it at a main dealer, expect that to cost quite a bit more so take that into account too.

If you're looking for premium brand cars of that size, I'd also consider the Volvo V40, Audi A3 and (particularly if it has to be an auto) the Lexus CT200. The Lexus is a genuinely nice place to sit, and being a posh Toyota likely to give many trouble free years so probably cheaper in the long run.

“ If you're looking for premium brand cars of that size, I'd also consider the Volvo V40, Audi A3 and (particularly if it has to be an auto) the Lexus CT200. The Lexus is a genuinely nice place to sit, and being a posh Toyota likely to give many trouble free years so probably cheaper in the long run.”

I’d leave out both the V40 and the Audi as both use gearboxes that have very poor reputations for longevity, the Volvo uses Fords Powershift on most models and the Audi VW’s DSG in a different name. The Lexus is however utterly bulletproof but the styling and ride quality are far from ideal. Another worthy however would be the related Toyota Auris hybrid or the 1.2T CVT which are again utterly dependable and better value.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/03/2021 at 21:49

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - Theophilus

I think the OP's heart is driving towards changing a Ford for "something nicer".

As such it is unlikely that (excellent and sound) advice on the relative merits of a Toyota are ultimately likely to carry much weight!

The larger engine and the later V40s which use Volvo's own 4-cylinder engine all have a 6-speed or 8-speed conventional auto gearbox.

The focus Eco Boost is probably one of the most popular cars on the road, with even higher milage. Sorry but it is well regarded in the trade.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - Xileno

It would be interesting to get hold of the manufacturer's warranty claims, given there are so many of these engines around then even a small % failure would be a lot of disgruntled owners.

The focus Eco Boost is probably one of the most popular cars on the road, with even higher milage. Sorry but it is well regarded in the trade.

Utter rubbish. I’ve been in said trade in one form or another for over 20yrs and I can absolutely assure you that the 1.0 Ecoboost is very much disliked by the industry. It’s regarded as a particularly soft engine and is priced accordingly at auction and part-ex. The only accurate point you make is that it’s a mass produced engine.

No you are giving your opinion, I can go out anywhere today and see 100's of Ford Focus's using the same engine without any trouble. I have heard this d***** before when purchasing my Ford 3 years ago......so took advice on it. There was a problem and a recall and cars built between October 2011 & October 2013 but that was quickly fixed.The 1.0 EcoBoost engine got a bad reputation at the start of its life. But many issues were fixed and reliability was improved. Blown head gaskets and coolant leakages happen rarely. Many car owners report mileage of 80-100k miles without any engine problems.

Edited by Sgt Pepper on 20/03/2021 at 08:07

There are thousands of cases of problems with this engine with many later cars having had replacement engines or being written-off from the cost of it. I know from my many many years experience in the trade and from speaking with other dealers that this engine is very much disliked and mistrusted. Because you’ve been lucky in your one experience doesn’t mean that its reputation is redeemed.

Listen, you can either trust in the experience of those who sell/sold the things or you can trust in the experience of one person who’s owned a single example for a few years it’s up to those who read these comments. I will however continue to advise based on over two decades worth of experience and I’ll lean on the experience of others I still know and speak to in the industry. On that note I’ll step out of offering any further experience on this thread.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/03/2021 at 09:40

I thought the problem with these engines was the coolant hose. Simple and cheap to resolve, surely? Are the later engines better and if not, why can't Ford fix it?

I've always been quite tempted by this engine, I had a Fiesta hire car with it and was really impressed at how it cruised on the motorway.

Edited by Xileno on 20/03/2021 at 09:51

I thought the problem with these engines was the coolant hose. Simple and cheap to resolve, surely? Are the later engines better and if not, why can't Ford fix it?

I've always been quite tempted by this engine, I had a Fiesta hire car with it and was really impressed at how it cruised on the motorway.

Just discussing this very subject earlier at work and a colleague has told me that his parents 2015 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost had to have a replacement engine under warranty at 36,000 miles. He didn’t know the reason for failure. I’ve heard and read about too many cases of premature failure with this design and while it’s very likely the latest models are fine now I wouldn’t risk sinking money into a used example.

No problem with them at all.

Yes it was fixed unfortunately some keyboard experts will tell you otherwise.......it's the nature of forums like this...if you search hard enough you will find every car has it's detractors and those who claim to be the oracle of all knowledge regarding engines etc.

Did you read any of my post above??????and that was coming from a lot more experienced people than yourself, I can link you to them if you want.......one mans opinion does not make it fact. ? Sorry but you are wrong a simple google will tell you that. But never mind you have kind of hijacked this thread and took it off topic.

Threads often do drift, it's the nature of the game and occasionally they need to be steered (pun intended) back. So.....

The general consensus seems to be that the A Class is nothing particularly special although probably perfectly pleasant. Alternatives to the A Class have been suggested. A Renault engine wouldn't put me off, I had good service from a 1.5 Renault diesel. Others have suggested putting the money into your house. Car buying for many is an emotional decision, if you want it then go for it. Only you can make that choice.

Thanks, I think I need to do a test drive etc when things open up. Hopefully then I might be better informed as to what to do. I do love the look of the A Class so we shall see.

Life’s too short for arguing with people on the net, especially when you’re merely trying to help.
Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - Alby Back
tinyurl.com/yzwumd2v

;-)
tinyurl.com/yzwumd2v ;-)

Love it!! :-)

Sorry you made a statement that is entirely untrue, one that if anyone reading this thread and was maybe considering the Ford Focus as a future purchase might read and be put off a potential purchase.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - Bromptonaut

This thread is in danger of being bounced off on a tangent.

Maybe there are two different questions:

1. Is the Eco-Boost engine prone to early failures? and:
  2. Does the motor trade have a dim view of the Eco-Boost?

It's perfectly possible for the answer to 1 to be no and 2 yes.

Since 1989 I've had five Citroen cars. None the dodgy electrics which the motor trade insist are endemic.

The current Berlingo has done 105,000 miles without its 'Diesel of Doom' missing a beat.

It's not worth getting in an argument over.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - John F

My answer is, Do the house, it is mostly an appreciating asset.

I agree.

A 4 year old car is going to carry on costing you money.

I partially disagree. After a few years, the 4 yr old Merc will probably cost as much, and possibly more, than your 7yr old Ford. They are both 'wasting assets'. If you are happy to gamble with the reliability of the ecoboost engine (despite the esteemed SLO76's protestations its reliability issues were probably sorted by 2015) and treat it carefully, it might last as long as our Mk 1 Focus which turns 21 this year, and stopped depreciating significantly about ten years ago. The older it gets, the less it costs, unless something really drastic goes wrong.

Sorry you made a statement that is entirely untrue, one that if anyone reading this thread and was maybe considering the Ford Focus as a future purchase might read and be put off a potential purchase.

It is not "entirely untrue" unless no 1.0 Ecoboost engines have failed on cars younger than 2013. Which isn't the case.

The problem may be exaggerated, but without knowing just how many failures there have been out of the total cars sold with the motor, it is at best difficult to assess just how much of a risk buying a used one is. But it is also true to say that though the percentage of failures might be very small, the sheer number of cars with that engine fitted means there is going to be a fairly high overall number of cars (and vans of course) whose engine will fail.

In the case of the OP's car, I suggested hanging on to it myself because it is now 6 years old. Presumably it hasn't failed so far (?), so unless the OP regularly thrashes it, neglects it (re servicing) or both, I don't see it as being a particularly high risk.

Can anyone tell me what questions I should be asking at the Dealership if I decide to go ahead.

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - mcb100
Unless you’re in a desperate rush, hang on until April 12th when you’ll be physically able to view cars.
At the moment you’re restricted to videos and photos.
Then make an appointment with the dealership at which you’ve seen a car. There are a lot of people wanting to come in as soon as they can, and sales teams are going to be run off their feet.

Edited by mcb100 on 25/03/2021 at 18:28

Mercedes A Class Purchase Advice - elekie&a/c doctor

A friends son works at a MB main dealer in the workshop .He tells me that they have less trouble with the Renault engine than any of the Mercedes own engines. How do you feel about that?

Thanks for all the help everyone, but I have gone for a 2020 plate Ford Focus 1.5 Petrol ST Line Estate, 300 miles on the clock and looks the part.