2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI - Is this amount of blow-by acceptable? - Diesel Lamp

So I noticed when I take the oil cap off when the engine is running, there's disturbing amount of smoke or steam coming out of the oil filler hole.

I know it's engine blow-by and it's expected of a 140K miles car, but is this amount considered normal? Is it time to say goodbye to the car?

Here is a video demonstrating the amount of blow-by:

youtu.be/s2gqUBsli2M

Please enlighten me, thanks.

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI - Is this amount of blow-by acceptable? - RT

Best guides are your oil consumption and your fuel consumption - if both are reasonable and no different to previously then all is well.

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI - Is this amount of blow-by acceptable? - craig-pd130

Best guides are your oil consumption and your fuel consumption - if both are reasonable and no different to previously then all is well.

Agreed - if the engine suddenly starts needing topping up with oil regularly, that's when to be concerned.

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI - Is this amount of blow-by acceptable? - edlithgow

Agreed - if the engine suddenly starts needing topping up with oil regularly, that's when to be concerned.

Maybe not VERY concerned, since oil is cheap.

OTOH, with a diesel you could eventually get into an engine runaway situation, where it starts running on its lubrication oil and self destructs.

If that looks to be a possibility it might be an idea to drill stopping the engine by blocking off its air supply, and have something available to do that.

I've never tried this, and wonder if its actually possible with a racing engine without damage.

It might collapse the air intake plumbing, creating an air leak and not stopping.

I suppose a CO2 fire extinguisher would do the job though.

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI - Is this amount of blow-by acceptable? - craig-pd130

Yes, if it's a pint every 1,000 miles or so I'd be quite happy to carry on with that.

I remember Car Magazine had a 6-cylinder petrol Merc on long-term test in the early 90s, and they reported that it was using a pint every 300 miles during their ownership, which is rather extreme.

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI - Is this amount of blow-by acceptable? - RT

Yes, if it's a pint every 1,000 miles or so I'd be quite happy to carry on with that.

I remember Car Magazine had a 6-cylinder petrol Merc on long-term test in the early 90s, and they reported that it was using a pint every 300 miles during their ownership, which is rather extreme.

Oil consumption of a litre per 1,000 miles seems to be the dividing line between acceptability and not.

Doesn't look too bad to me in the video, though I have no experience of that engine.

However, I get a short clip showing acute radiation sickness (from the HBO Chernobyl drama-doc) at the end. Maybe a ghost in my machine, but If you are experiencing those symptoms you'll need to replace your rocker cover with several feet of concrete, and stop buying oil from dodgy Ukrainian geezers.

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI - Is this amount of blow-by acceptable? - Xileno

I do not see anything that would cause me to be concerned.

A diesel running on its own sump oil is usually down to the turbo oil seals being worn, so the sump oil gets sucked back into the engine. Renault 1.9dCi engines built up to June 2003 were quite bad for this.

I would not want to be anywhere near the engine bay of a diesel that is 'running away'. Try and stall it (if a manual obviously...) otherwise let nature do its thing.

I do not see anything that would cause me to be concerned.

A diesel running on its own sump oil is usually down to the turbo oil seals being worn, so the sump oil gets sucked back into the engine. Renault 1.9dCi engines built up to June 2003 were quite bad for this.

I would not want to be anywhere near the engine bay of a diesel that is 'running away'. Try and stall it (if a manual obviously...) otherwise let nature do its thing.

I understand it was especially a "nature thing" when running on waste vegetable oil, which stuck the piston rings, allowing sufficient blowby to run the engine.

(Turbo's would be especially contraindicated for WVO running, since carbon chunks could break turbine blades.)

Like I said, CO2 should stop it, but using a conventional extinguisher you''d have to stop and get out of the vehicle, with the engine in neutral.

Not likely to be a relaxing minute or two.

It would probably be possible to rig an extinguisher in the engine bay you could operate from the cab, but probably too much trouble on a just-in-case basis.

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI - Is this amount of blow-by acceptable? - madf

Looks fine to me.

There is ALWAYS an oil mist inside an engine: the pistons mving up and down create it.

Yours looks normal.

I have experience of worn petrol engines which would throw out oil drops (not mist) when you removed the oil cap !

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.0TDI - Is this amount of blow-by acceptable? - bathtub tom

I have experience of worn petrol engines which would throw out oil drops (not mist) when you removed the oil cap !

The camshaft or tappets will do that. Remember when Vauxhalls required tappet adjustment on a hot engine with it running? Oil everywhere and ruined feeler gauges, although you could buy gauges by the foot.