Peugeot 308 SW petrol 130 bhp 1199 cc - Radio going into economy mode after a few minutes - bramble

Last November when car had a 12 month service at a Peugeot garage I raised an issue the radio switched itself off after a few minutes when the engine was switched off with a message on the touchscreen “going into economy mode”. The garage reported the battery was at fault and recommended a new battery which I had fitted a few days later at a cost of £280. Last week was the first time I had the radio on with the engine switched off and noticed after approx 5 minutes the radio switched itself off with the message “going into economy mode” on the touchscreen. Could you please advise if the radio is supposed to switch off after a few minutes with the engine off to conserve the battery charge.

Peugeot 308 SW petrol 130 bhp 1199 cc - Radio going into economy mode after a few minutes - John F

Last November when car had a 12 month service at a Peugeot garage I raised an issue the radio switched itself off after a few minutes when the engine was switched off with a message on the touchscreen “going into economy mode”. The garage reported the battery was at fault and recommended a new battery which I had fitted a few days later at a cost of £280.

A fleece par excellence. Same thing happens with our year old 2008 with the same engine. I do not believe for a moment there is anything wrong with the battery. I have not found a touch screen way to disable the 'economy mode' but if and when you find out please report how it can be done.

Peugeot 308 SW petrol 130 bhp 1199 cc - Radio going into economy mode after a few minutes - Andrew-T

My 207SW has done this for years - for example we stop for a roadside lunch, turn on the news, and your message pops up after a while. Restarting the engine for a few seconds restores normal operation. I guess 'the battery is at fault' is vaguely correct, but a much better indicator of a dying battery is whether it can start the engine.

£280 must have got you a magnificent battery, mine cost £90 to change a couple of months ago. Glad I did that, the recent spell of weather would have killed it anyway after 12 years ...

Peugeot 308 SW petrol 130 bhp 1199 cc - Radio going into economy mode after a few minutes - Lee Power

Economy mode disabling non essential electrical items when the engine isn't running has been a Peugeot / Citroen feature for the last 20+ years.

It can be disabled using Diagbox by putting the car in to SHOWROOM mode but you then loose the protection feature in the software that is designed to stop people flattering the battery by running electrical items with the engine off.

Peugeot 308 SW petrol 130 bhp 1199 cc - Radio going into economy mode after a few minutes - edlithgow

Economy mode disabling non essential electrical items when the engine isn't running has been a Peugeot / Citroen feature for the last 20+ years.

It can be disabled using Diagbox by putting the car in to SHOWROOM mode but you then loose the protection feature in the software that is designed to stop people flattering the battery by running electrical items with the engine off.

Someone has already flattered the OP's new battery, by calling it "magnificent"

I'd call it over-priced, but I don't think I have a SHOWROOM mode, which I'd call superfluous.

Peugeot 308 SW petrol 130 bhp 1199 cc - Radio going into economy mode after a few minutes - skidpan

Never had a radio that switches off after 5 minutes but every one I have had in modern times has shut off after 30 minutes.

Peugeot 308 SW petrol 130 bhp 1199 cc - Radio going into economy mode after a few minutes - jp2021

My 208 does this and as its not driven much its more noticeable and annoying . Cant even open windows without starting the engine

Something seems to drain the battery when not in use ( possibly bluetooth, locations service. updating of software or other nonsense neither the car nor myself need) Not progress

Cars with stop/start will have an AGM battery so £280 could be the price. Ones without this use a cheap battery.

On the 208 the climate control is really very poor, Not a patch on most manual air con systems . Specifically it wont cool air below 11 degrees in hot weather, makes loads of noise for little air flow and the controls are slow and require you to take your eyes off the road to use