BMW 5 Series Touring - BMW 5....Merc E....Kia Sorento....Peugeot 5008 - Jerry321

Hi All,
I currently have a 2019 BMW 430D Gran Coupe which is great, apart from the lack of space for our ‘staycations’ with a small family.
I am looking at changing it for something with more space and have a few cars I like the look of! I want to spend around 25-28k for a minimum 2019 model. So far I like the look of the following but need to decide...estate or SUV etc?!!

BMW 520 Touring (possibly Xdrive)

Mercedes E220 AMG Estate,

Peugeot 5008

Kia Sorento GT Line S

Anyone have any thoughts, or possible alternatives! Reliability, comfort, good resale values are some important qualities to me as opposed to badge appeal, hence my current diverse list!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! ??

BMW 5 Series Touring - BMW 5....Merc E....Kia Sorento....Peugeot 5008 - Ian_SW

The Sorento, and to a certain extent the 5008 will feel like a bus to drive after a 4 series.

The boot in the 5 series touring and E class is surprisingly small given the external size of the car, when measured in litres at least is only about the same as an Astra estate, and not that much bigger than the 4 series, though you will get more cabin room.

If you're not bothered about badge, it would be worth adding the Skoda Superb to the list of estate cars to look at, and possibly an S-Max as well which gets the space but with less compromise to how it drives than a big SUV such as the Sorento.

BMW 5 Series Touring - BMW 5....Merc E....Kia Sorento....Peugeot 5008 - sammy1

the 3series Touring has all the room you might need and is good to drive and will hold its price better than most

BMW 5 Series Touring - BMW 5....Merc E....Kia Sorento....Peugeot 5008 - Jerry321

the 3series Touring has all the room you might need and is good to drive and will hold its price better than most

Cheers Sammy1, unfortunately I don’t like the 3 series, but thanks for taking the time to reply...

Thanks for your reply Skodalan, I’ve driven an S-max a few years ago, and whilst plenty of room, I have to admit, it felt like driving a 9 seater mini bus! Although the newer model may be better....to be honest, I didn’t even realise they still made them until I just looked at the Ford website! Don’t think you see many new ones around?

I’ll take a look at the Superb as I’m aware it’s an excellent car.

So at the moment, it seems the Sorento and 5008 are contenders for size, especially as the gains on my current 430 aren’t that big in comparison to the the BMW and Merc.

From looking at what seems like ‘hundreds’ of reviews, I was under the impression that the Sorento and 5008 were half decent drives?

Onwards and upwards!

BMW 5 Series Touring - BMW 5....Merc E....Kia Sorento....Peugeot 5008 - RT

If you're seriously considering the Sorento, look at the Hyundai Santa Fe as that's what the Sorento is based on so same platform, drivetrain and general suspension although settings are different.

I had a Santa Fe before I moved on to a VW Touareg - apart from an engine rebuild under warranty, it was fine - and I suspect the engine issue was unique.

Thanks RT, I did consider the Santa Fe, my Niece has one, but to be truthful, I don’t really like it that much (haven’t told her that though!!)

BMW 5 Series Touring - BMW 5....Merc E....Kia Sorento....Peugeot 5008 - Metropolis.

Edited by Metropolis. on 12/02/2021 at 14:02

BMW 5 Series Touring - BMW 5....Merc E....Kia Sorento....Peugeot 5008 - bazza

If it's space you need, forget SUV formats, as they do not prioritise interior space, the mechanical drives and suspension design compromise that. Instead, look at the big estates, 5 series, E class estate are lovely wagons. Cheaper options are the Mondeo estate and the Skoda Superb, probably unbeatable in terms of overall competence and value for money.

Thanks Bazza,

I would always assume the SUV’s would have a better loading capacity/style over an estate, but agree the 5 series and E Class look terrific!

BMW 5 Series Touring - BMW 5....Merc E....Kia Sorento....Peugeot 5008 - badbusdriver

I fear Bazza's observations may be a few generations out of date. SUV's these days, apart from a select few old school hard core examples (like the Toyota Landcruiser) are monocoque construction, so no separate chassis robbing interior space. Most SUV's these days are based heavily on 'conventional' cars in the manufacturers respective ranges, so there are no heavy duty suspension, axles, brakes or whatever else Bazza is imagining under the skin robbing space. With most SUV's, it is just a car, but taller.

Personally, for what you are describing, assuming you are fine with the complete lack on any handling finesse or driving dynamics, I'd say the Kia Sorento all day long.

Looking on Autotrader, I see a 2020 Sorento 2.2 diesel auto (200bhp) with 8K miles, from a Kia dealer, for £27249. That will have as much as 6 of that 7 year warranty remaining.

BMW 5 Series Touring - BMW 5....Merc E....Kia Sorento....Peugeot 5008 - RT

I fear Bazza's observations may be a few generations out of date. SUV's these days, apart from a select few old school hard core examples (like the Toyota Landcruiser) are monocoque construction, so no separate chassis robbing interior space. Most SUV's these days are based heavily on 'conventional' cars in the manufacturers respective ranges, so there are no heavy duty suspension, axles, brakes or whatever else Bazza is imagining under the skin robbing space. With most SUV's, it is just a car, but taller.

Personally, for what you are describing, assuming you are fine with the complete lack on any handling finesse or driving dynamics, I'd say the Kia Sorento all day long.

Looking on Autotrader, I see a 2020 Sorento 2.2 diesel auto (200bhp) with 8K miles, from a Kia dealer, for £27249. That will have as much as 6 of that 7 year warranty remaining.

Any used Kia, bought as a Kia Approved car, will have 7 year warranty from date of purchase.