Biodiesel Availability - brambob

Whilst driving near York recently I came across a small notice advertising Biodiesel at 65.9 pence per litre. As I needed to fill up I went in and bought some, on a trial basis. This is apparently 100% Biodiesel made from waste oils. The supplier gave me some sheets about it and they are claiming that it is good for the engine and will also give improved fuel consumption. The smell is certainly better than standard diesel and there does not seem to be any difference in the way the car drives and performs.

I believe that this 100% Biodiesel is fairly widely available in Norfolk and wondered if anyone has been using it over a long period and what their views were.

Also does anyone know of other small suppliers out there like the one I came across? A directory of such outlets could perhaps be set up on this site.

Incidentally the lady who filled up my car understands that there is a possibility of a cut in the rate of duty on this fuel to 5p per litre from 2004/5 (apparently it is around 45 pence per litre on normal diesel).

Biodiesel Availability - HF
There are a couple of very informative threads on just this subject, started by andymc. Sorry I don't know how to link you to them, but typing 'biodiesel' in the search box should take you there.
Biodiesel Availability - Soupytwist
HF refers to a thread called "First fill of biodiesel" in the technical forum which should tell you all you need to know.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=97...4

Was the place in York selling Rix Biodiesel ?

The company in Norfolk is Broadland Fuels although their filling stations sell mostly a blend which is only 5% biodiesel.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Biodiesel Availability - brambob
Matt

I have posted further information as a reply to the "First Fill of Biodiesel" thread.

However the biodiesel near York is 95% waste veg oil plus the necessary additives apparently. The price is good too at 65.9 per litre.
Biodiesel Availability - Hugo {P}
However the biodiesel near York is 95% waste veg oil plus
the necessary additives apparently. The price is good too at 65.9
per litre.

Top gear did a feature on some guy that mixed about the same proportions of cooking oil with a drop of white spirit (IIRC). They tested it on an old Volvo 740 diesel and it worked.

H
Biodiesel Availability - guss
it seems the big oil companies may finally have begun to look at biodiesel.tesco are conducting a trial of biodiesel sales at their supermarket filling station in hatfield.hopefully they will begin sales at all their sites soon and make biodiesel more available