BackRoomers - volvoman
Well I've just met a second 'face' from the BackRoom - an eminently nice person called Rob the Bus from somewhere oop Norf (somewhere very rural near the villages of Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford and Scunthorpe). He's finally decided to join us all down in the smoke for a while so I'm hoping to get to know him better.

Regulars will know that HF and I met Mark and his little 'un last year (seems like only yesterday) and Mrs V. and I are looking forward to meeting another member of this august club in the very near future but you'll have to wait with bated breath to find out who I'm afraid.

Has anyone else met up since I started the BackRoom Get Together thread last year ? If not, why not ?

It's really nice to be able to put a face to the posts.
BackRoomers - Ian (Cape Town)
Bit far for me to travel, i'm afraid...
Blowpipe was here in Cape Town over the winter, but we never touched base, unfortunately.
However, should anybody ever turn up in this neck of the woods, and need a guided tour of wine farms, mountains, etc ... let me know!
BackRoomers - HF
How very clandestine and discreet of you, V! And how come I have been given no information about this impending meet-up then?

I bet you anything you like I know who it is though! ;)
BackRoomers - volvoman
Yep Ian - travelling to the Southern Hemisphere might be a bit more of an impediment than getting the 12.30 train from Leeds to London (or perhaps not !!) - unless you're hosting the Rugby Union World Cup that is !

Anyway for those of you who - like Sean - live in the more northerly regions of this fair Isle, HF and I live in a sleepy little hamlet called 'Darn Sarf' and our local hostelry's called the 'E and Alcopop'.
BackRoomers - Blue {P}
Aww, I thought that was our local hostelry!

I certainly make good use of the Alcopop bit!

Blue
BackRoomers - sean
I'd be more than happy to meet you, mate.

The prospect of Southern beer, paying to park, paying to enter the congestion zone,what you wrote about modern people down there isn't very encouraging though.

Do you have red diesel down there to run the Golf? I think petrol stations charge about £3 a gallon for ordinary diesel.

Am I alright to travel down the M1 with a beer mat tax-disc?

You lot seem much keener than we are oop here.

Maybe I could travel South but not to the deep South.

Chesterfield or Worksop sounds about right.
BackRoomers - volvoman
Now how did I know you'd turn up here Sean ?

Sadly I've had to give up the red diesel as it gives me a headache.

Anyway, I'm an honorary Noferner 'cos my mum was evacuated there in the war and still cooks tripe, black pudding and all those wonderful delicacies you take for granted :-)
BackRoomers - volvoman
You know I meant 'Norferner' don't you.
BackRoomers - Blue {P}
Yeah, course you did!

But what's this about tripe, what on earth is that? What animal does it come from? I genuinely don't have a clue! *embarassed mode*

Blue
BackRoomers - HF
Blue, haven't you noticed yet? Talking tripe is a speciality of V's! ;)))))
BackRoomers - Blue {P}
Oh! That's what it is, and here's me thinking it was meant to be a northern thing! :-)
Blue
BackRoomers - HF
Blue, it's also a disgusting offal type thing like a cow's stomach or something - all you norverners love it with your black pudding and haggis. With the Yorkshire puds on a separate plate. Followed by balm cakes I believe. Now, please help me get this back to motoring!
BackRoomers - SteveH42
Now, come on, HF, it's Barm Cakes and they are a midlands thing anyway - Manchester and that area. Us proper northerners eat stotties that really are cake-sized - in diameter anyway! (Ask Blue to send you one from the local Greggs if they still do proper ones)
BackRoomers - volvoman
I believe it's a rather pleasing little dish created from the stomach lining of sheep. Anyway, you can do all sorts with it - apparently it makes very good soles for your boots and people have been known to refurbish old agricultural tyres with it too ! I think my mum made wine out of some once but she was committed to an asylum before I got the recipe.
BackRoomers - Blue {P}
See there he goes again. ;-)

Blue
BackRoomers - HF
sorry for double post Dave - t\'wasn\'t me being impatient, my computer\'s just having a bad day.

Sorted. DD.
BackRoomers - Rob the Bus {P}
>>(somewhere very rural near the villages of Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford and Scunthorpe).

Harrumph!!! Do you mind, V??? All the places mentioned above are in Yorkshire and it is a great insult to a born and bred Lancastrian to be lumped in with Yorkshire folk! In fact I hail from Southport, but have lived in Chorley for the past six years. Now I am back in Southport, but not for much longer! I guess that the above (unintentional, of course!) slight was due to the Suvvener's distinct lack of geographical details once Watford has been passed ;-).

And tripe has no appeal to me whatsoever. Black (and white) pudding and haggis, though are both excellent.

How the hell am I going to get this back to motoring?????? Oh yes, I can reassure that a certain person's driving is nowhere near as bad as has been made out - in fact (and I know that this will shock you), she actually did 48 in a 30 on Saturday!!. She did have to go for a little lie down afterwards though...!

Cheers

Rob
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
BackRoomers - Blue {P}
Oh that is priceless! :-)

Blue
BackRoomers - volvoman
Oh I know now - you mean somewhere near that ancient settlement called 'Wigin' don't you.

Anyway don't worry about the pork scratchings, deep fried Mars bars and barm cakes anymore Rob 'cos you'll soon be tucking in to real British grub at the local kebab shop and noodle house.

Oh and finally, you mean that somebody who shall remain nameless but lives Darn Sarf and 'drives' a J reg Astra was doing 48 in a 30 zone !!! The mind boggles - she must be in love or in a rush for the loo :-) Did she get out of 2nd and did you have your eyes closed all the time or just most of it ?

Will get the miscreant's e.mail address later (don't have it you see) and be in touch. See ya.

ps is there going to be an official announcement here shortly ??
BackRoomers - Hugo {P}
When are you and Mrs V going to come down to Cornwall then V?

Excellent amusements for the kids all over the area and the whether this year has been very good so far.

H
>>Oh and finally, you mean that somebody who shall remain nameless but lives Darn Sarf and 'drives' a J reg Astra was doing 48 in a 30 zone !!!

Oh heck yes! The poor car almost died of shock. The last time it went at that speed, it was being driven out of the factory! And, oddly enough, she wasn't in a rush for the loo, so I guess that it must just have been for the sheer hell of it!

I know that I have already shocked you about the speed she was going, but I can exclusively reveal that at approximately 1536 hours on Saturday 5 July 2003, fifth gear was attained. I had to keep my eyes open to witness this extraordinary event and now suffer constant flashbacks and nightmares.

Boy am I going to be in trouble when she reads this... ;-)

By the way, V, I'd forgotten that I'd got a Hotmail account so if you want to contact me, try wobblybob1 "at" hotmail "dot" com.

Cheers

Rob
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
Much jollity is being enjoyed at the expense of a cerain BR member on this thread, and I feel sure that if they were aware of such aspersions being cast they would wish to come rapidly a-leaping to their own defence.

However, since you have all been so immensely subtle about protecting this person's identity, I suppose there will be no need.

HF
AKA The Old Trout
BackRoomers - HF
Oops.
BackRoomers - Mark (RLBS)
Ok, enough of the innuendo and hints...

Rob & Sarah, I know you both. I am glad you've met, I'm especially pleased that you're happy with each other, you deserve it both - frankly I am not particularly surprised either - I just hope Orpington is ready for it.

Rob - Orpington was an iffy enough place when she was driving around in 1st gear at 29.9mph, you haven't improved it by introducing her to 49mph and 5th gear.

HF - I'm glad to see you're making him get rid of that appalling Granada which was on its last legs anyway. Get him to explain his vogon-like approach to the world and you'll be fine.

Now, get over it and let us mere sane mortals get on with the normal, non-rose coloured, routine of our lives ! ;-)

Mark.
BackRoomers - volvoman
Mark - think yourself lucky you've only got to edit it - I've got to cope with HF oozing with love every day !!

Hugo & RTB - I'll e.mail you.

Blue - don't believe everything HF tells you !

Sean - eels, trickly little blighters those!
eI was wondering when you'd bring them up (pardon the pun). Thankfully they're fast being replaced Darn Sarf by dry smoked monkey, pickled fruit bat and extract of live tree rat - luvly jubbly. See what you're missing !
BackRoomers - sean
I used to work in Wiggin' for that big place that makes beans, soups, ketchup and stuff.

They used to have a place in Harlesden, darn sarf, but it was full of southerners, so they shut it.

I always thought a Wigan kebab was a joke until I went to the HJH canteen and found out that it's true.

You really do get 3 pies on a stick.

They also eat suet puddings, with raw pastry on the base.

Give me tripe and black puddings anyday.

Oh yes, southerners. Tell me about jellied eels.

YUK!
BackRoomers - Oz
Your *real* southerners enjoy a Pie (Pea) Floater - meat pie in a dish, immersed in mushy peas, with your choice of vinegar or ketchup. M-mmm.
Oz (as was)
BackRoomers - HF
Since when were mushy peas a suvvern thing?

And why can't we have both vinegar AND ketchup!

Local pie and mash shop does a great trade in jellied eels though.
I think we should start drawing this thread to a close.

Thank you.
BackRoomers - andymc {P}
Well, when I read the first post on this thread I thought I would mention that I'd met someone off the biodiesel thread. How mundane. But having trawled through all this, all I can say is "Aaaahhhh, bless". So is the Back Room actually responsible for bringing lurve into the world? What a result!

Hmm - just realised that anniversary no. 8 is looming, along her birthday on the same day. Maybe if I sit here long enough inspiration will spark an idea for a prezzie/experience ....

PS just so this doesn't get pulled for failing to mention motoring - cars are great! I once took my wife for a spin in one, pretended to have a puncture, opened the boot & handed her a change of clothes & told her we were going to dinner. Getting changed in a Fiat Punto without getting arrested is no mean feat.
andymc
BackRoomers - volvoman
Yes it's a shame more people from here haven't got together but there's still time. Good luck with the anniversary - may you both have many more.
BackRoomers - HF
Andy - hello. Just because my own stuff is a little bizarre certainly doesn't make yours mundane - so, spill the beans, who did you meet up with?!!

And have a great anniversary, 8 years is some achievement IMO!!

Your car puncture story is wonderful, more people should do more things like that - t'would make the world go round a lot smoother.

Anyway, in deference to what M said a couple of posts up, I am now retiring from this thread. He is absolutely right, and I'm very grateful he's given us the leeway he's already done for this thread to exist.

Take care Andy,
HF
PS yes cars are pretty good aren't they!
Old Trout.
BackRoomers - andymc {P}
Your stuff isn't bizarre HF (Old Trout????!), just endearing. Thanks to you and VM for your kind wishes. It's actually coming up on 13 years since meself and herself met up. I end up short of inspiration at every anniversary/birthday, but then something usually goes "bing" above my head about an hour before it's too late, hence the fake puncture/posh dinner/birthday cake/beach/fireworks experience, which all came together at the last minute. Haven't really been able to top that one yet, but a little idea is coming now which I won't write here in case she chooses this moment to read my posts for the first time.

Over on the biodiesel thread, I mentioned about where I get my fuel in Belfast and one short-term contributor mentioned about trying the stuff out - after apparently just missing one another at the plant one week, we bumped into each other a week or two later. Told you it wasn't exciting!
andymc
BackRoomers - El Hacko
am enjoying the more personal posts...perhaps site should be renamed Motoring Friends United?

El Hacko
BackRoomers - Dan J
I have moved back to my homeland now (the "Sairf") and would be more than happy to put some names to faces - preferably over a pint of finest local shandy. Problem is, no-one has their profile i.e. email address on view!

No qualms about releasing mine - can you email me V/HF/anyone else down South on dannyj_uk@yahoo.co.uk - see if we can't arrange something...
BackRoomers - HF
Hi Dan,

that is a great idea, and I've just emailed you about it - the more BR meetings the better IMO.

If there's anyone else around who is in this neck of the woods and fancies joining us, then please post here so we can sort something out.

HF
BackRoomers - Cliff Pope
As Volvoman started this thread I thought I'd take a look at his profile, but I see he hasn't got one. So how do I know I want to meet you? Presumably you are a Volvo enthusiast, so can't be all bad?
BackRoomers - volvoman
Well Cliff - you'll have gathered from all my posts here that I am equipped with a devilish wit and keen sense of humour! HF will testify to my amazingly good looks (not that it should bother you - I HOPE!), capacity to empathise with all those less fortunate than me and legendary generosity.

As for the 'tag' - sorry to disappoint you but when I first came here I had a problem with my car. I was asked to give a user name and all I could think of at the time was 'volvoman'. Not very original I'll grant you but there we are. Having said that I do like my 940 se turbo estate (even though I acquired it by chance rather than design) - it has never let me down and doesn't answer back!
BackRoomers - HF
Well, we have just got home from a really enjoyable afternoon/evening spent with another Backroomer.

As a precursor to September 7th, we met up for a 'quick' drink with Dan J today.

And he proved to be just as fantastic a person as I had suspected he would be.

It's always strange meeting people for the first time, but in this case there was no awkwardness or initial shyness etc - we just had a great day and a hell of a lot of laughs.

Just makes me look even more forward to the 7th September, but today was *really* great. Others of you really should arrange small meetings if you can, they're fantastic!

Anyway, just thought it would be good to post that we'd had a small meeting, it was a really fun day.

Linking back to the more current thread, am really looking forward to meeting more Backroomers on the 7th.

HF
BackRoomers - Dan J
A great day and fantastic to meet HF and Rob. Personally I am amazed you managed to operate your computer when you got back after the amount you put away :) Pot, kettle, black...

I feel very delicate this morning... Looking forward to the meet on the 7th! Hope lots of you can make it...
BackRoomers - volvoman
Yep Dan, she's caught me out a few times to. Appearances can be very deceptive and in HF's case her diminutive stature and publc school accent belie her proven ability to drink like a fish and still be able to multitask.

Rumour has it the she and a certain PSV driver have been seen not a million miles from here merrily stumbling home in the early hours ;-)
BackRoomers - bugged {P}
which town "down sairf" are you guys meeting???
BackRoomers - volvoman
Bugged - the meet is in a small rural village called Enfield in the north London borough called Barnet. Full details are given in Dan's Backroom Meet thread.
BackRoomers - bugged {P}
VM thankyou, this will teach me to look at the other threads first!!!
I will try to attend it sounds like fun!!
BackRoomers - HF
Resurrecting an old thread - purely to start a competition.

I don't know - but I think it might be possible that my meeting with site member DieselBoy just may have turned me into 'site person who has met mnore site people than anyone else'.

I may be totslly wrong and am showing off for no good reason at all.

But.....ballpark figure - any advances on about 12-ish? (Might be more, not sure :)
BackRoomers - Vin {P}
One - HJ when he sold his Leon to my mate Steve. Is that a record low?

V
BackRoomers - DougB
Since HJ was at the Backroom 'meet' and has probably met the moderators, plus Steve, he is doing rather well!

Regards DougB
BackRoomers - Dynamic Dave
Since HJ was at the Backroom 'meet' and has probably met
the moderators...

Not met me yet.
BackRoomers - HF
>>Not met me yet.

Nobody has, Dave, you are way too elusive. I am beginning to wonder, in fact, whether you exist at all.
BackRoomers - volvoman
Is DD really just Mark's alter ego ? :-)
BackRoomers - Chad.R
Is DD really just Mark's alter ego ? :-)

I've never thought of Mark as an authority on Vauxhalls, especially Vectras but then again I suppose that is the point of an alter ego :-)

Chad.
BackRoomers - Clanger
I suspect DD to be a fully automated PC-based digital moderating sevice, fully parameter-driven and user-friendly. Expect the next verion, Dynamic Dave XP very soon.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Syntax Error. Does not compute.
Danger, Will Robinson, Danger.

A little known fact is that I am actually Dave's alter ego - for use when some actual moderating needs doing or words need to be spelled correctly.
BackRoomers - No Do$h
Yes, Dave's a complex character. Not satisfied with having Mark as an alter-ego, he decided he needed further presence and subterfuge and so I was spawned.

I mean, how unrealistic can someone be? An Alfa enthusiast with a diesel?
BackRoomers - Clanger
Just what we need, an automated moderator with a faulty spell-checker ...

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
I suspect DD to be a fully automated PC-based digital
moderating service....

Hawkeye, you're absolutely correct.

My name is purely an anagram made up from my software title.
Dynamic Deleting And Vetting Editor
BackRoomers - CMark {P}
Motoring?
8-)