406, driving like clutch in half on ??? - Pipmeister
406 was fine, used it all week then pulling out of supermarket I though I had wrongly put the car in 3rd instead of 1st as there was no power. But I also noticed that isteast of the usual feel of the revs the car seemed to rev up as if I had still got the clutch in.

So I am driving home, doing about 30mph in 4th and I decide to excellerate.... same thing, the car seems to get high revs before it finally starts to increase speeds.

I remember teaching my wife to drive some years ago and the same effect was created by her not releasing the clutch quick enough when changing gear.

The plugs look ok... and once the initial revs and slackness pass the car can still achieve acceleration.

I also liken it to driving a big automatic ( 5 litre Mustang) in the States, when you put your foot down you get an initial high roar of revs before the engine kick in.

Any thoughts ?

Pip
406, driving like clutch in half on ??? - SteveH42
Obvious thing is the clutch is slipping. Either fluid got on the plates or it is simply worn. How old is the car and what mileage?
406, driving like clutch in half on ??? - chris2
is it a hydraulic clutch ? if so could be the slave cylinder.
406, driving like clutch in half on ??? - David Lacey
You have a slipping clutch - or sezied release mechanism.

Get it looked at ASAP before any damage occurs to the flywheel.
406, driving like clutch in half on ??? - Pipmeister
Thanks....

The car is a 97 P reg. 68k on the clock. So you think it needs a new clutch then.

Thanks for the advice.
Well, remote diagnostics are impossible to carry out accurately - but it would appear that clutch slip is your problem.

Best get a professional opinion!
406, driving like clutch in half on ??? - guzzler
If you put your foot on the brake and then press the accelerator at the same time, do the revs go up or down?
While you're in gear of course, 2nd or 3rd and going uphill if you can manage it.
If it's a diesel and it's off-boost chances are it won't slip..
406, driving like clutch in half on ??? - Hugo {P}
I had this problem with a Fiat Regata at 50,000 and took it in to a clutch repair place.

The chap could have quite easily agreed on a new clutch but simply adjusted it for me free of charge. Obviously I bought him a pint.

It lasted another 30,000 miles.

It could need adjustment. 68K does seem a little low for a new clutch. Do you use it for towing?

H
406, driving like clutch in half on ??? - jc
If it's cable,is there free movement on the pedal before anything happens?there should be.