Clio starting - thenuke
Help is needed here

Got an old shape 98 1.2 clio that has developed a funny starting problem
If you drive somewhere and come back to the car when the car is still warm the car can take a long time to start

All other times it starts first time
Checked all connections and i don't think it is the immobiliser as it starts all other times no problems.

You can stop the engine get out lock and unlock and its ok
But stop get out lock go in to a shop for 20-30mins unlock and thats the only time it takes a while to start
Anybody got any idea's would be appreciated
Clio starting - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
On a Clio with ANY sort of starting problem I would replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor as a matter of course; if problem still exists more in-depth analysis required.

Regards, Adam
Clio starting - PhilW
Nuke,
Do what Adam says! My son's Clio had a similar problem some time ago and was diagnosed by a garage as needing a new throttle body - a mere £600. Adam advised replacing the CTS (£22 from Renault and half an hour of my very unskilled labour) and there has been no problem since!
PhilW
Clio starting - thenuke
Adam

Having looked at your previous posts I suspected the CTS.
Could you tell me if i can only get one Renault or are the freely available from Motor Factors.
What sort of price are they from Renault

Regards the nuke
Clio starting - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Sorry for delay - been away for a few days !

As Phil says, about £23 + Vat from dealer, may be a bit cheaper from a Webcon (Weber) dealer. I use Southern Carburettors & Injection 02085 402723. Doubt if you will find it in Halfords !

BOL, Adam
Clio starting - thenuke
Adam

Many thanks for sharing your expertise so freely.Bought a new coolant temp sensor from Renault £23 inc VAT.Installed and touch wood all ok now.I,ll Update the forum in a couple of weeks

Again mny thanks

the nuke
Clio starting - thenuke
Just an update as to my problematic clio starting
Changed the CTS as adam said. I thought the problem went away but it didn't,also started to stall when hot
It has know, Removed the flywheel sensor ,cleaned it and reset the gap. as per hayes manual
Perfect starter all the time,kept looking on the internet for clues

Hope this helps other people

Apparently these can also break down when hot causing the car not to start until cooler. the new part if needed is £17 +vat from renault, touch wood haven't needed a new one yet

the nuke
Clio starting - toledo_kid
Hi all, just thought I should add my two cents worth!

After reading the comments on this forum regarding Clio starting problems, I replaced the CTS in my wifes 1999 Clio 1.4 8v. Low and behold - no more problems. We had been experiencing the 'I won't start if you leave me for 20-30 minutes when hot problem' but now that is hopefully a distant memory.

Any how the car is going soon, we've had enough of the annoying niggles and generally low-rent feel of the car!

Clio starting - kender
Hi,

I also have a 98 1.2 clio with same problem.
At renault they replaced the inertia switch from fuel pump and it runned fine for a couple of weeks, it as the same problem now :(
The fact is that when he doesn´t start I just push the button and there he goes just fine.

GC
Clio starting - madone
Adam,
I've had the same problem with my wife's Clio not starting after it's been left for 20-30 minutes. However this morning, after having been parked all night it didn't start either. Another problem that also started yesterday (perhaps related) is that the petrol gauge show full after switching one. It returns to empty when turning off the ignition switch. But I now that the tanks is half full.
Any ideas/suggestions? Will a new CTS solve this?
thanks,Martin