Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - BPL
My son was manouvering into a parallel parking spot and when stationary he says another car driving along same road hit him on passenger door which won't now open. Name address driving licence insurance company exchanged but no phone numbers. Other driver has less than three year old car all taxed ok and my son has a 2002 Fusion and is a student. Do we contact the guy asap before talking to insurance companies or not..... Maybe he would do a cash settlement? Just worried it's going to affect his insurance what ever way it goes he didn't think it was his fault.... Any advice accepted gratefully

Edited by BPL on 21/01/2021 at 22:19

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - Falkirk Bairn

The value of your car is under say £800, the repairs would be £???

If the 3rd party would pay out cash for repairs / write off them I would deal

rather than involve insurers. Although officially you should tell them about any scrape.

I 58 years driving I have scraped my car / had people scrape it and just asked the 3rd party to pay.

My fault I pay out of my own pocket if the costs were less than my Excess (£500 nowadays)

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - bathtub tom
My son was manouvering into a parallel parking spot and when stationary he says another car driving along same road hit him

Yeah, right. What does the other driver say

The other driver send very jovial about the whole thing. No phone numbers were exchanged although we do have his address which is local. What's the deadline for reporting to insurer...?

Edited by BPL on 22/01/2021 at 08:29

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - Middleman

What's the deadline for reporting to insurer...?

As soon as possible.

The problem with incidents such as this is that the "jovial" Third Party may suddenly discover he has suffered life-changing injuries from the impact. Either that or the car needs a new body shell and is written off.

Tell the insurers immediately.

All done, he had claimed and now we are using an accident management company. If they think he has a case they'll take it on no win no fee. If they think he doesn't well have to pay up via insurance anyway. Anyone any experience of this to type of company? Would anyone still try and negotiate with the other party of is this a no no?
All done, he had claimed and now we are using an accident management company. If they think he has a case they'll take it on no win no fee. If they think he doesn't well have to pay up via insurance anyway. Anyone any experience of this to type of company? Would anyone still try and negotiate with the other party of is this a no no?

Accident Management Company eventually decided they couldn't win so dropped the case leading to loss of 2 years no claims for a 23 year old and presumably loaded premium. Anyone know if he can now offer to pay the cost of the other party's repairs directly? He's been drving his own car since passing test first time 17 and has never had a scratch or issue.

Edited by BPL on 03/03/2021 at 16:13

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - Jean Milburn

Great

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - galileo

Great

Kindly explain what is 'Great'. It would also be good to know the meaning of your other one-word post - 'informative' in another topic.

A genuinely interested poster usually has more to say.

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - alan1302

Great

What exactly is 'great' , please explain.

Don't worry about it - they will be back shortly with some spam posting

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - galileo

Great

What exactly is 'great' , please explain.

Don't worry about it - they will be back shortly with some spam posting

just what I suspected: on the other hand perhaps she's a furloughed teacher who is practising marking homework, she's forgotten the mark out of ten. Must try harder!

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - Theophilus
My son was manouvering into a parallel parking spot and when stationary he says another car driving along same road hit him on passenger door which won't now open.

Now that this thread has come back to life (thank you BPL for updating us, even though the outcome wasn't what you had hoped for) I find myself thinking again about the event itself.

I was puzzled to read that the driver was performing a parallel parking manoeuvre and that whilst stationary his car was struck on the passenger door. I realise that this may have been the rear door on the driver's side, but if it was a nearside passenger door I cannot quite picture how this incident occurred - assuming that the driver wasn't attempting to park on the right-hand side of the road facing oncoming traffic, which is of course contrary to Para 239 of the Highway Code. I'm sure we've all done it, but a young driver will have presumably boned up on the Highway Code before taking his test, would parking against oncoming traffic mean that an insurance company would be less likely to fight the case?

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - sammy1

Have you not noticed you park where you can these days. The highway code is hopelessly out of date with a lot of its advice

One way street, parking RHS, a whole line of cars do it every day, front passenger front wing and door hit

Edited by BPL on 05/04/2021 at 11:10

Update

No win no fee Accident Management Company will no longer represent him as no chance of success. 3rd party car is a Mobility scheme one so no loss of NCD and free legal rep apparently. Mobility car owners have to report all accidents and claim through insurance so no hope of a cash setlement. Moral of the story, don't get hit by a Mobility car. It was a relative of the owner driving as well. Also advise not discussing the claim with insurance company before submitting a carefully thought out written claim or using an accident management company.

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - skidpan

It was a relative of the owner driving as well.

Was the driver actually insured?

Ford Fusion - Crash young driver what to do? - 72 dudes

It was a relative of the owner driving as well.

Was the driver actually insured?

Presumably the relative was one of the named drivers.

If not, Motability (not Mobility) would come down on the driver like a ton of bricks, the car would be taken back and it would be very difficult for the disabled person to get another car on the scheme.

That's not to say that the scheme doesn't get abused, I'm sure it does, but when accidents occur, Motability are very strict.