Renault Clio 1.2 8v - Worth Fixing, or scrap ? - SteVee

Our 2005 Clio 1.2 8v is due its MOT next Month, but has a misfire - the RevCounter is also stuck partway around its travel.

The misfire comes and goes, but is sometimes bad enough to stop the car - restarting can make the misfire go away. The tyres are not great either, but still legal.

We were planning on getting rid of it after the MOT - selling it to a dealer that advertises locally for small first-timer cars, I guess I would only get about £200 at most? The car won't be replaced by another so we can't px. We won't sell it privately.

Should I bother getting it fixed and MOT'd or just call a scrapper ?

Renault Clio 1.2 8v - Worth Fixing, or scrap ? - skidpan

selling it to a dealer that advertises locally for small first-timer cars, I guess I would only get about £200 at most?

Why not ask him now?

selling it to a dealer that advertises locally for small first-timer cars, I guess I would only get about £200 at most?

Why not ask him now?

He will give the best answer for him, I am trying to figure the best answer for me. I want the fewest visitors possible.

Renault Clio 1.2 8v - Worth Fixing, or scrap ? - skidpan

Why not ask him now?

He will give the best answer for him, I am trying to figure the best answer for me. I want the fewest visitors possible.

How much are WBAC offering. Uncle had a 2003 Fiesta until mid 2019. Dash was lit up like a christmas tree, suspension mounts had corrosion, brake pipes wee badly corroded, would not have passed the MOT due in 4 week time. WBAC offered £400 which shocked me but garage he was buying from gave him £450.

Best offer was Kia, £2000 under their scrapage scheme against a boggo Picanto but he could not see over the dash.

Renault Clio 1.2 8v - Worth Fixing, or scrap ? - Andrew-T

You say the Clio won't be replaced 'by another'. That could mean by another Clio, or that you won't get another car. If the latter, you may as well dispose of it as you see fit. If you think the £50 cost of a MoT pass would increase its value by more than that, try it. If it fails it may have scrap value anyway.

Is the misfire the familiar coil-pack problem ?

Renault Clio 1.2 8v - Worth Fixing, or scrap ? - SLO76
Scrap it
Renault Clio 1.2 8v - Worth Fixing, or scrap ? - Ian D
Worth about £100 for scrap, check online quotes, seems like the best hassle free plan
Renault Clio 1.2 8v - Worth Fixing, or scrap ? - Alby Back
Have you eliminated the possibility of it just being a faulty cam shaft sensor? Rough idle, misfire, hard to restart, cranky rev counter? Quite a lot of those symptoms point that way. Got to be worth checking, cheap and easy fix if that's what it is. Not much lost if it isn't.

Edited by Alby Back on 20/01/2021 at 19:44

Renault Clio 1.2 8v - Worth Fixing, or scrap ? - daveyK_UK
Find a good independent, ask for an evaluation to get it through the MOT, if it’s £200 or less get the work done along with the MOT and sell it when it works for you, will likely get £300 plus for a car with 12 months MOT.
Renault Clio 1.2 8v - Worth Fixing, or scrap ? - catsdad
I would get the dealer and scrap figures and take the higher one. Spending on an MoT and repairs is a gamble and if it was a case of clearing £100 now or a gross £300 after shelling out on repairs and an MOT your net return after these costs is likely to be very small. Maybe less than the £100.
Remember too it's racking up road tax and insurance costs meantime.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

We've decided to scrap the Clio - got a quote for over 200 pounds which we're happy with.

Should get about 3 months VED back