New Over 70 licence - Roger Hart

I received my Over 70 years Licence Renewal notice from DVLA on 11th January and completed the online application on the 12th. Today, the 15th. I received my new licence in the post. How amazing! I thought DVLA was inundated with all sorts of backlog business dating back to last April's Lockdown. I just hope I can get an MOT sorted out in early Feb' so I don't have to SORN my vehicle until I can get it organised due to current restrictions.

New Over 70 licence - RT

I received my Over 70 years Licence Renewal notice from DVLA on 11th January and completed the online application on the 12th. Today, the 15th. I received my new licence in the post. How amazing! I thought DVLA was inundated with all sorts of backlog business dating back to last April's Lockdown. I just hope I can get an MOT sorted out in early Feb' so I don't have to SORN my vehicle until I can get it organised due to current restrictions.

That's a fairly automatic process for most people - it seems that those of with medical restrictions are experiencing even longer than usual.

New Over 70 licence - Big John

. I just hope I can get an MOT sorted out in early Feb' so I don't have to SORN my vehicle until I can get it organised due to current restrictions.

I thought garages and MOT centres were open on this lockdown. My sons car has just been MOT'd

New Over 70 licence - bathtub tom

SWMBO received her notification and sent it off. Got her new licence, which included motorcycles (unlimited). Really annoyed me, as I had to take my motorcycle test one miserable, freezing, Winter day with snow on the ground when it was raining.

She's never been on a motorcycle, not even as pillion with me, except briefly, with someone she trusted!?>:.

It appears to show she passed the test recently. I suspect someone else has lost that category.

I suggest everyone checks their categories very carefully at renewal.

New Over 70 licence - RT

SWMBO received her notification and sent it off. Got her new licence, which included motorcycles (unlimited). Really annoyed me, as I had to take my motorcycle test one miserable, freezing, Winter day with snow on the ground when it was raining.

She's never been on a motorcycle, not even as pillion with me, except briefly, with someone she trusted!?>:.

It appears to show she passed the test recently. I suspect someone else has lost that category.

I suggest everyone checks their categories very carefully at renewal.

Does SWMBO just have AM or both AM and A - the AM is just the mopeds which comes automatically with a car licence - the A is all motorbikes.

New Over 70 licence - Will deBeast

>> Got her new licence, which included motorcycles (unlimited).

Check the codes against it. I thought my wife had gained motorbike, but when I checked the codes, it was just provisional cover.

New Over 70 licence - bathtub tom

Definitely A, I've just double checked. Got a date of 2013, all other categories are 1985. She would have been 62 when she passed if it were correct.

New Over 70 licence - RT

Definitely A, I've just double checked. Got a date of 2013, all other categories are 1985. She would have been 62 when she passed if it were correct.

You need to buy her a Harley for her birthday then !

New Over 70 licence - Senexdriver

I received my invitation, so I filled it in a couple of weeks ago and tried to submit it. A message popped up straightaway to say that I’m not eligible for online application. No explanation - and the only thing I can think of is that I’m not actually 70 until next week. Would that be the reason? I’m going to have another go after my birthday.

New Over 70 licence - RT

I received my invitation, so I filled it in a couple of weeks ago and tried to submit it. A message popped up straightaway to say that I’m not eligible for online application. No explanation - and the only thing I can think of is that I’m not actually 70 until next week. Would that be the reason? I’m going to have another go after my birthday.

Do you have a current passport? My wife couldn't renew hers online at 70 as she has no passport, so no photo in the system.

Yes, but I didn’t even get as far as entering my passport number. For some reason I’m not eligible. There’s nothing in the blurb on the forms to say that you can’t apply before you’re 70. If it still won’t work after I’m 70, I guess I’ll just have to try phoning the DVSA or DVLA or whatever they call themselves these days.

New Over 70 licence - RT

Yes, but I didn’t even get as far as entering my passport number. For some reason I’m not eligible. There’s nothing in the blurb on the forms to say that you can’t apply before you’re 70. If it still won’t work after I’m 70, I guess I’ll just have to try phoning the DVSA or DVLA or whatever they call themselves these days.

Phone delays are massive at present due to Covid - just request the form, complete it and send it back in.

New Over 70 licence - Bromptonaut

Is there any medical issue on your licence pre 70?

New Over 70 licence - RickyBoy

Received my invitation in mid-Nov last year.
I'm 70 in mid-Feb this year.
Straightforward* online process was completed on a Monday.
Licence received on the Thursday of the same week.
I was most impressed and told them so...

*Had renewed our passports in May '19, so new pics on the system could have helped?

New Over 70 licence - RickyBoy

..I'm sure everyone is already aware, but, if you apply for the Over 70s licence 90-days ahead of renewal (that's generally when you're invited to) you don't lose those 90-days from your next licence, unlike passports (e.g. apply to renew with 6-months remaining before expiry and you'll only get 9.5-years on your next one!!!

Go figure...

Yes! Maybe they want an update on that. I’m still legal to drive so hopefully should not be an obstacle. Thanks for the suggestion.

New Over 70 licence - FoxyJukebox

Its a quick process if you do it on line- yes- they use your passport photo which is already in the system. Bless public sector working practices- but sending hard copy takes an age what with staff working from home, isolating plus all the protocol excuses used splattered everywhere.