Cracked Windscreen advice - Blue {P}
My mate's 52 reg Micra has unfortunately developed a fairly large crack in the windscreen. It runs from the base of the screen in the centre, up about 5 - 6 inches, and then across for another few inches, definately big enough to require a new screen.

Having looked at it there is absoloutely no impact damage and I'm pretty certain that it's a stress fracture of some sort, possibly due to a manufacturing defect in the screen.

Now, is there any chance of my mate been able to claim under the car's warranty? Surely he shouldn't be expected to fork out the windscreen excess which he can't afford at the moment, when the fault was almost certainly caused by a manufacturing defect. Does anyone have any idea if he is likely to have any luck in getting them to fix it F.O.C.?

I remember something about new law saying it is down to them to prove that the fault *wasn't* there at the time of purchase, as opposed to him having to prove that it *was* there.

Blue
Cracked Windscreen advice - Colin M
A lot of cars suffer from this problem since the windscreen became part of the structure of the car (bonded screens etc).

According to a man at Autoglass who changed my 3rd Audi S3 screen, the most common car for windscreen failure is the Suzuki Vitara.

You may get a warranty claim through, but the dealer will be looking for the most minute stone chip within about 4-5 cm of the edge of the screen (they'll use a photographers loupe to look for it!). This is the most likely cause of the failure. Any small impact around the boundary of a bonded screen can cause the failure. Follow the crack from the screen edge in and see if you can see it.

Scuttle shake on the Audi TT Roadster often breaks the screen and Audi will replace under warranty provided no chips found.

I've had a look and couldn't see any, but the screen is filthy so it really needs cleaning first...

I'll update everyone if he bothers to do anything about it, he needs a bomb under him sometimes to get him to move with anything like this! :-)

Blue
Cracked Windscreen advice - v8man
He may well do something as the screen is likely to fail completely at any time! It can sound like a bomb going off when it does go. He should replace it now before he has an accident.
Cracked Windscreen advice - Colin M
If it's a bonded screen, it's part of the structural integrity of the car. Did you see Top Gear last night? I would imagine he's reduced his NCAP rating several points driving round with the car in that condition.

Probably has, but it has only just happened as far as I know, however, I'm taking bets that if no one hassles him about it, the screen will be the same in a week's time!

Blue
Just a little update, he hasn't had the windscreen fixed yet, but I can't blame him, someone has sriven into the Micra whilst parked and caused about £2000 worth of damage to it, the rear quarter panel, bumper, and rear light cluster all smashed. :-(

Some people have all the luck...

The worst is yet to come, his courtesy car is a Daewoo Matiz 850cc, I didn't believe that it was possible for him to get a car less powerful than the one he is getting fixed!

Blue
Cracked Windscreen advice - John R @ Work {P}
Please note that the Daewoo Matiz is a 800cc triple cylinder...
(unless it's one of the new 1 ltr models).

Pedantic to a fault...

John R
Cracked Windscreen advice - Hugo {P}
If the warranty does not work out, A friendly chat with the bodyshop may yield a favour of some sort.

"If I give you the business, does the windscreen get fixed FOC?"

H
Unfortunately it's all been done through the recommended repairer and there's no way that the insurance company will authorise the windscreen.

Just to hi-jack my own thread, as he's having to fork out a £350 excess under his fully comp policy for an accident which couldn't possibly have been his fault, but with an untraceable driver, can he claim the excess back or something from the MIB?

Blue
Cracked Windscreen advice - SteveH42
Unfortunately it's all been done through the recommended repairer and there's
no way that the insurance company will authorise the windscreen.

I had an 'insert suitably solid item' on the parcel shelf and it must have been thrown forward in to the windscreen in the collision. (And no, I didn't say that, honest. Plus, a warranty fix would be better anyway)

Can't answer you other point other than to ask if the police can't at least work out the colour of car from any fragments left lying around and keep an eye out for damaged cars of the same colour without a good story?
Unfortunately as his car was parked he can't get away with that story. Very clever tho!

Besides, it's clear from the crack that it is a stress fracture rather than an impact...

My mate will be keeping an eye out, as the car was hit outside his house, no dount by a neighbour.

Blue
Cracked Windscreen advice - SprinterJK
Sorry to hear about your mate and his car, thats harsh.

Micra bodies seem to flex quite a bit. I remember parking my 2001 Micra with the offside back wheel on a curb, but rest on road, and couldn't close the boot properly as the car had flexed. Definately try and get him to give it a go as a warrantly claim. Good luck
Sorry to hear about your mate and his car, thats harsh.
Micra bodies seem to flex quite a bit. I remember
parking my 2001 Micra with the offside back wheel on a
curb, but rest on road, and couldn't close the boot properly
as the car had flexed. Definately try and get him
to give it a go as a warrantly claim. Good
luck

That's absoloutely horrific!! How can a modern car be so weak?! :O

Blue