Audi 80 starting problem - my precious
My "my precious" Audi 80 (2.0E 95/M) has all of a sudden developed a starting problem. The car has done 94k. One fine sunny morning it started as ususal and then when I started to set off it hesitated and stalled. After that it would not start. It turns over fine. There is spark at the plugs. there is fuel in the tank. Being member of the AA and having Home start I thought I would call them out. The man came out, spent approx 40 mins checking plugs, leads, fuel, filters, belts, fuses etc. and then in the end had to admit he didn't know what the problem was. I have now been relayed to an Audi main dealer who is now looking at it. Any one out there have any idea what the problem could be?
Audi 80 starting problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
First thing to check is for any fault codes set on the PCM (ECU or ECM), then spark at the plugs, Then for fuel pressure and volume up to the fuel rail.Check for an injector switching signal and supply voltage at the injectors. Check camshaft/crankshaft alignment before carrying out a compression check. Then we start getting more serious checking resistance and voltage versus coolant and air temperature etc etc...
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!
Thanks Andrew for that. It sounds a bit over my head. I assume that everything you have mentioned can and will be carried out by Audi main dealer. Hopefilly I will hear from them tomorrow. Do you think I'm in for a big bill?
Audi 80 starting problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
If they have a clued up techie who knows how to use diagnostic equipment and carry out a thorough diagnostic routine then the labour hours shouldnt run into too much. You may be lucky and it may only require minimal parts but it really is a 'how long is a piece of string' question at £60+ per hour to pay for the shiny showroom. The diagnostic codes could lead you straight to the problem, thereafter the following checks should isolate the area of the fault.
Good Luck
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!
Audi 80 starting problem - xylophone
Audi manin dealers are expensive. I have an Avant 1995, 142,000, on which I am beginning to have certain work done by a non-main dealer: I have yet to decide whether to continue to have main services done by the main dealer. The other place charges about 1/2 what the dealer charges, no doubt largely because they do not have expensive location, premises and overheads. I do not have quite the faith in the other place, since they are not just Audi people, and I assume they cannot be as up to speed with all matters Audi as Audi themselves. BUt I have come to the view that really, the extra assurance that the dealer thus provides does not mean I have to have all the work on the car done by them, as I used to. THe other outfit fixed an engine management problem, using their Bosch equipment, for £60, including the diagnostic test on that machine. Anything more important/ serious or worrying, I can awlays go the main dealer again.
Thanks guys for your comments. Yes I would fully agree that the main dealers are too expensive and some times too kin to change parts rather then repair them. I have had my Audi from new and I moved away from main dealer after 3 years. I have had main dealer wanting to change the front pads when they where still good for another 20k and also they wanted to change the whole of the wiring loom in the boot at a cost of approx £260 when a £10 pound repair to the one broken wire did the job. I think the smaller garages are great if you go to them with a specific request i.e. carry out a basic service or change pads or clutch etc., however from my experience not so good at diagnosing a fault especially with the engine or electrics (apologies to those who can). I have had a inlet manifold gasket changed when it was a faulty coolant sensor. Also the smaller garages seem too reluctant to use genuine parts even when instructed to do so. I am firm believer in original parts. Perhaps the answer is for the main dealers to have service centres at not so expensive locations and premises with lower hourly rates where us private car owners with slightly older cars can go. This would be a win win situation. We live in hope!
Audi 80 starting problem - Robfnet
Hi, Did you managed to find out what the cause of this issue was? My friend has excatly the same symptoms on his Audi 80. Thanks Rob
Audi 80 starting problem - Roberson
I don't think you'll find out, because the author of the original post hasn't been here since 2003.