BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - John Beemer
I’m looking at buying a used F30 320D M sport automatic. Miles are around 80-100k. Does anyone have any advice and what I should be looking for in the car when buying in terms of service history etc? Any faults in this car that should have been addressed in servicing up until 80-100k mile mark?
BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - Avant

Why does it need to be a diesel?

Any high-mileage BMW is going to be a gamble, but the diesels are even more liable to expensive failure. Of the petrol models, the six-cylinder ones have a better name for reliability than the fours.

Edited by Avant on 08/01/2021 at 14:37

BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - daveyjp

At that mileage DPF work may be required. Failed sensors and a DPF cost a colleague 4 figures at that mileage.

It was actually a cheapish sensor which failed, it didn't flag an error, but lead to consequential issues with other sensors and the DPF and a larger bill.

BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - John F

100,000m + 'sport' + BMW = risk of BigMoneyWorries

BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - galileo

100,000m + 'sport' + BMW = risk of BigMoneyWorries

Or Bavarian Money Waster?

BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - badbusdriver

I’m looking at buying a used F30 320D M sport automatic. Miles are around 80-100k. Does anyone have any advice and what I should be looking for in the car when buying in terms of service history etc?

Yes, something else.

BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - barney100

I've had few diesels and touch wood no dpf issues, in fact no one I know with a diesel has had dpf trouble. My old V70 is approaching 150k and so far so good. I don't do anything special, only give the old girl a decent motorway trip every week or so. Buying any car is a bit of a gamble, if everything works you stand a chance.

BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - badbusdriver

I've had few diesels and touch wood no dpf issues, in fact no one I know with a diesel has had dpf trouble. My old V70 is approaching 150k and so far so good. I don't do anything special, only give the old girl a decent motorway trip every week or so. Buying any car is a bit of a gamble, if everything works you stand a chance.

But the engine in your Volvo is known for its reliability, the 4cyl diesel in the Beemer the OP speaks of isn't. So even taking the potential for DPF issues out of the equation, it still wouldn't be a wise buy.

BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - pd

Depends on year but from about 2015 onwards there were fitted with the B47 engine which I've not heard bad things about. In fact I think all F30s may have the newer engine.

Any higher mileage car can have bills, a lot depends on how many miles more you plan to put on it.

BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - veloceman
Prob is service intervals which are every 20k.
A car that has done 75-80k miles may only have been serviced 3 times.
BMW 3 Series - Advice for buying F30 320D - Eyan1
I have one, good car . Four cylinder is good but go for the b47. Less risk of timing chain problems also a bit quieter and smoother. X drive sits a bit higher , doesn’t handle as well and can have problems with transfer case. Dpf not particularly problematic, autos should get a gearbox service at 60k (but bmw say sealed for life) . 6 cylinder is definitely faster and smoother but 95 percent of people don’t need that. Occasionally problems with infotainment system - getting this fixed is very expensive if you go to a main dealer but there are alternatives.
As with any car watch out for clocked cars , check the service history (it is in the i drive). . Oil changes should be under 20k miles . You can buy a Carly adapter and app to check for faults.
As with all cars if you go near a main dealer be prepared for a big bill.