2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - mynewcar

hello, can someone please help.

i am not being lazy ,i have searched and read different things to try to help myself but i really still dont have a clue still (i,m female so dont know about cars).

i need a 2nd hand car and found one . it is a 2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D

selling for i think it is £2200... diesel and has done 100000 miles.

can someone please have a look at the mot check below and let me know if they think this car is ok to buy. does it seem like it will go ok with no problems on the horizon?

thankyou for any help in advance.

ColourGrey

Fuel typeDiesel

Date registered30 March 2010

MOT valid until25 July 2021

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal.(Opens in a new Window) by email or text.

If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Open All

MOT history

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested10 July 2020PASS

View test certificate

Mileage98,218 miles

MOT test number2627 2986 6853

Test location View test location

Expiry date25 July 2021

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• UNDERTRAYS FITTED
What are advisories?

Date tested10 July 2020FAIL

View test certificate

Mileage98,218 miles

MOT test number6069 3847 6434

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

• Front Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Offside Rear Hydraulic brake calliper damaged (1.1.16 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Registration plate lamp does not illuminate simultaneously with the position lamps (4.7.2 (a))
  • UNDERTRAYS FITTED
What are defects and advisories?

Date tested17 July 2019PASS

View test certificate

Mileage92,486 miles

MOT test number1338 0386 9775

Expiry date25 July 2020

Date tested19 July 2018PASS

View test certificate

Mileage83,572 miles

MOT test number5385 5158 8295

Expiry date25 July 2019

• Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
What are advisories?

The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018

Defects are now categorised according to their severity – dangerous, major, and minor. Find out more

Date tested17 July 2017PASS

Mileage78,025 miles

MOT test number4306 6542 9122

Expiry date25 July 2018

Advisory notice item(s)

• Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
What are advisories?

Date tested26 July 2016PASS

Mileage74,037 miles

MOT test number3149 4331 4150

Expiry date25 July 2017

Advisory notice item(s)

• Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
  • Rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
  • Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
What are advisories?

Date tested5 June 2015PASS

Mileage70,238 miles

MOT test number2791 2625 5434

Expiry date4 June 2016

Date tested28 May 2014PASS

Mileage63,301 miles

MOT test number9357 7884 4191

Expiry date27 May 2015

Date tested14 March 2014PASS

Mileage62,938 miles

MOT test number6255 9317 4000

Expiry date30 March 2015

Date tested14 March 2013PASS

Mileage52,205 miles

MOT test number2962 0357 3032

Expiry date30 March 2014

Date tested14 March 2013FAIL

Mileage52,205 miles

MOT test number1153 7387 3408

Reason(s) for failure

• Offside Front Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
What are failures?

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - badbusdriver

I would be very reluctant to buy a diesel unless you do the miles to justify it, and that really means 15k per annum plus.

Diesel engines around this kind of age are very complex, so any replacement parts needed are going to be very expensive. If anything big goes wrong, it will in all likelihood write of the car, as the cost will be so high.

An Avensis fitted with either the 1.8 or 2.0 petrol would be an excellent choice (assuming the car has been looked after and serviced regular) as they are extremely reliable. Not sure about the engine in that particular car, but I do know that some Toyota diesels should be avoided.

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - Moodyman

As said above diesels to be avoided unless you do big miles. They're complex and expensive.

Plus the 2010 car will have a DPF.

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - Heidfirst

Plus the 2010 car will have a DPF.

Depends upon exact production date. DPF was phased in late 2010 into 2011 - as an existing model on sale it didn't have to comply with Euro V until January 2011.

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - catsdad

Welcom to the forum

An MOT history can tell you a bit about a cars past. In this case it look reasonable. However it’s of limited use in assessing whether a car will be trouble free in the future. Also note that the MOT here is already six months old so issues might have arisen since.

This Avensis is close to 11 years old so you need to look at it carefully if you are going to buy it. As bbd says petrol might be a better bet.

if you tell us more about your needs I am sure you will get advice on cars that might suit

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - catsdad

PS the only one at this price that pops up with an internet search is one in Derby. Is that it? Note this has been an insurance write off. It’s “only” Cat N, the least serious category. In a car of this age/value it might be very limited damage indeed but you need to check what it’s history is and what repairs were necessary. It does explain the apparent low price.

it will always appear on its record so may affect future sale. I am not an expert on CAT N issues but you may find insurance harder to get?

Edited by catsdad on 01/01/2021 at 13:02

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - badbusdriver

Assuming the Avensis represents your approximate budget, here are some other suggestions you might want to look for (all petrol).

Ford Focus (1.6, 1.8, 2.0), Ford Mondeo (1.8, 2.0)

Mazda 3 (1.6, 2.0), Mazda 6 (1.8, 2.0)

Honda Civic (1.4, 1.8), Honda Accord (1.8, 2.0)

Toyota Auris (1.33, 1.6), Toyota Avensis (1.8, 2.0)

Hyundai i30 (1.4, 1.6)

Kia Ceed (1.4, 1.6)

Vauxhall Astra (1.4, 1.6)

But at this price and age point, there are no guarantees of reliability, it depends on how well previous owners have looked after them. But going for the Focus or Astra will give the biggest selection of potential buys to look through, and therefore (in theory) the best chance of finding a decent one. Looking through the selection of my suggestions on Autotrader (using £2.5k max budget, up to 100k miles, no ins. write offs, petrol engine, manual gearbox), the youngest available is the Astra, with 2012 examples within budget.

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - sammy1

If you know nothing about cars do NOT buy a 10 year old diesel

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - mynewcar

thankyou all.

i think i have made a mistake in the car i was looking for.

my last car was a

TOYOTA AVENSIS T SPIRIT D-4D 2008

so i am trying to find a car that has the exact same body shape as that..i liked my last car.

so do i need to buy a 2008 or was that exact shape made over so many years and not just 2008?

sorry , as said i really am clueless.

i did read when looking that someone said dont get 2.2 something on this car? as it has gasket problem.

i also was only looking to spend around £2000 max-ish on another car..would i find something for this amount?

i dont drive many miles a year at all.

thankyou again for your help.

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - Avant

Don't worry if you feel 'clueless': we'd like to help. I know that same feeling if I have to buy a new computer!

As others have said, if your mileage is low don't buy a diesel. Newer diesels have the particulate filter problem with short trips that your 2008 Toyota probably didn't have.

Go for a Japanese petrol car, and look both on Autotrader and on the Cars for Sale section of this site (button at the top of the page). Think what size of car you need: if not as big as the Avensis, a Toyota Auris would do you well, as would a Honda Civic. Or Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 - again avoiding diesels. Or indeed others as suggested above by Badbusdriver: with a Japanese or Korean car you have a greater chance of getting a good one, but the advantage of Fords and Vauxhalls is that there are more around to choose from.

You can input your budget and other criteria into these sites. Youi should be able to get something a bit newer than 2008.

Edited by Avant on 06/01/2021 at 11:44

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - Heidfirst

my last car was a

TOYOTA AVENSIS T SPIRIT D-4D 2008

so i am trying to find a car that has the exact same body shape as that..i liked my last car.

so do i need to buy a 2008 or was that exact shape made over so many years and not just 2008?

What you had is what is known as a T25 or Mk2. This was made 2003-2008 with a facelift in 2006 so your previous would have been 1 of the last.

i dont drive many miles a year at all.

Buy a 1.8 VVTi petrol, not a diesel. Get a facelift (mid-2006 or later) but bear in mind that the youngest T25 will be 13 years old so get it checked for corrosion especially rear suspension.

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - SLO76
I’d also normally avoid diesels at this money but the Avensis 2.0 D4D of this shape up to 2008 didn’t have a DPF and is generally very robust so I certainly wouldn’t walk past a good example. But it is still more complex and thus more costly to fix if it does go wrong. Again don’t touch the 2.2.

Funnily enough I do have one I’m selling for a work colleague right now, a 2008 2.0 D4D 5dr hatch in metallic gold. It’s £800 with a years ticket and it’s just run in at 166,000 miles.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/01/2021 at 14:41

2010 Toyota Avensis Tr 2.0 D-4D - can someone please help with buying car - SLO76
I’m a fan of this model, I’ve owned and sold several older models and I own a 10 plate 1800 Estate now and none suffered any major issues at all. They’re generally well made and robust. This one is good value at that money too but I’d tend to steer you away from cheaper DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) equipped cars as they’re much more complex than a petrol equivalent and thus far more likely to go expensively wrong.

The best version regards reliability and longterm running costs would be the 1800 petrol, which is actually very good on fuel for a large family estate. I’m averaging around 42mpg in mine and it can better 50mpg on a run. The diesels aren’t that much better but they are much torquier.

It’s a tempting price if it’s in good condition and has a full service history but I’d only buy it if I had the money to fix it if it went wrong. A DPF will be around £1000 fitted, an injector is approx £200 (theres 4 of them) and a clutch and dual mass flywheel is around £1200. Go for petrol if there figures are a worry but the big car is cheap enough to cover a big repair. A dealer would want around £4K for a tidy 100k diesel 10 plate Avensis Estate.

Take a knowledgeable person with you when viewing, even if this means paying a local mechanic.

thankyou everyone.

i,m looking around .i dont like estate cars.

its hard work looking. i,m sure i will choose a dud.

thankyou all for replies.