Nissan Note 2006 - Oil sump corroded and porous - Alex Rankin

Just had an MOT on my Nissan Note. It's come back with an advisory (amongst others) stating 'oil leak, not excessive; sump porous and corroded'.

Could anyone recommend if this is something to repair urgently?

I've not seen any evidence of oil leaking onto the ground and for the record, I'm not intending to keep the car for much longer but still need to keep it running and would like to get a couple of quid for it when the time comes.

Cheers

Nissan Note 2006 - Oil sump corroded and porous - Andrew-T

Just had an MOT on my Nissan Note. It's come back with an advisory (amongst others) stating 'oil leak, not excessive; sump porous and corroded'.

I've heard this word 'porous' used to describe a metal part, and I still can't imagine metal letting oil through like blotting paper or a filter - which has pores. I assume the tester noticed an oil seep which he couldn't locate.

Anyway if your engine does not need regular topping-up, I suggest you take no action. If you were to keep the car till the next MoT it may well not be reported. Is the sump pressed steel or a casting ?

Nissan Note 2006 - Oil sump corroded and porous - sammy1

ADVISORIES The regulators of the mot system should have a serious look at the way MOT stations report minor problems, I won't say" faults" are reported. They appear to me just a way of garages to increase their income at the expense of the unwary or customers completely ignorant of how a car works. The OPs sump being a typical example. Another would be our 2015 A1. Same MOT station first year N/S drive shaft boot slightly leaking, 2nd year ditto, December now NO advisories. The leak miraculously fixed itself. Err no there is still a slight weep on one of the securing straps. How many are shelling out good money to fix minor problems. OK you could argue that some problems may get worse but many won't. A pass is a pass not an invitation to part with your money.

Good point.

To be fair, the garage were pretty good as they buffed my lights up proper when a different station last year said they couldn't be saved. Some wielding work was also justified based on previous advisories so I trust their judgement.

I'm inclined to think with no visible leakage, I'd leave it for another year.

Thanks

Nissan Note 2006 - Oil sump corroded and porous - edlithgow

I've heard this word 'porous' used to describe a metal part, and I still can't imagine metal letting oil through like blotting paper or a filter - which has pores. I assume the tester noticed an oil seep which he couldn't locate.

Rust is porous. If it rusted in from the outside, it would eventually reach the inside, and then it would seep oil.

It wouldn't quite be a hole, but it might be weakened over a hole sized area, and later become one.

Its never happened to me, probably because my sumps are usually oily enough to prevent rusting, but I can imagine it happening. According to the Internyet, it seems to happen to Americans.

And Fiat Panda's, apparently. There's a surprise.

www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/453852-sump-pan-rusted...l

And Punto's, and Fiestas, and,,,

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37209

If I had a rusty sump I'd treat it with sunflower oil and rub with aluminium, probably just by hand using foil rather than a can disk in a drill, in case it was significantly weakened.

When I read of such failures I think of doing that, then I go and look at my sump, which is a thin steel pressing, and it isn't rusty, so I don't bother.

I suppose I'll go and do that again.

Again

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=96864

I should have just done it when I had the sump off, but it wasn't a priority.

Edited by edlithgow on 19/12/2020 at 06:29

The car originated from Scotland which I've been told is something to be wary of as the savage weather has a habit of corroding the hell out of the underside. It's by no means the only problem with rust that I've had.

Time to stick my head in and mosey around then

Nissan Note 2006 - Oil sump corroded and porous - Andrew-T

The car originated from Scotland which I've been told is something to be wary of as the savage weather has a habit of corroding the hell out of the underside. It's by no means the only problem with rust that I've had.

Sumps have to withstand mild impacts from road debris - unless there is a sump-guard. Steel ones usually start life with a coat of paint which should prevent corrosion for some years at least. If corrosion becomes serious enough to reach porosity, I suggest that an impact could have unfortunate consequences. Best have a look for peace of mind.

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/12/2020 at 17:27

Yeah, that's the impression it gave me..

Don't know that info unfortunately, although I read that older models generally have steel.

Nissan Note 2006 - Oil sump corroded and porous - edlithgow

Could anyone recommend if this is something to repair urgently?

Yes.

Someone who has seen it.

Otherwise...er...no.

You can either

(a) look at it yourself and form your own judgement

(b) Post photos and see what the Internyet Expert Consensus is

(c) both

Chances are its not going to get worse fast because a leak will slow further corrosion, but it COULD be so frail that it fails suddenly and you lose all your oil. Very unlikely, but possible.

Normally, if it was very bad, it would be replaced with a scrap one. Repair will probably be impractical because the oil will prevent any stoppers sticking, though I have seen an impressive video of some Mongolians repairing a sump with an outer shell of concrete. People used to use soap to seal leaking petrol tanks.

EDIT

There's this stuff

www.pratleyadhesives.com/BlogRetrieve.aspx?PostID=...5

Getting it sufficiently oil free seems likely to be difficult though.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/12/2020 at 00:21

Nissan Note 2006 - Oil sump corroded and porous - John F

If there's no oil on the ground the sump cannot possibly have a hole in it - unless it's empty! It probably looks a bit rusty and possibly slightly weepy at the front and/or back. Just paint the rusty area with old engine oil. The MoT threshold for a fluid leak failure is a puddle 75mm in diameter within five minutes, engine running.

Just for info, while driving home from Zambia nearly 50yrs ago we put a tiny hole in the sump (old Toyota Crown, couldn't afford a reliable 4x4) on a rocky bit of the sahara desert. Permanently repaired by hammering in a sharpened matchstick and sealing with araldite.

Nissan Note 2006 - Oil sump corroded and porous - madf

Replaced sump on a 1993 Peugeot 106 owned by youngest son.

Badly flaking and corroded. Oil starting to seep through and show on surface was the warning sign- once it starts leaking from the sump (not the gaskets ) living on borrowed time. Not worth the risk.

NO sign of leaks? Ignore till next year.

Went to a scrappie: took one off another 106 - cost iirc £10 but that was 15 years ago.