Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - Jamesey

I have a three year old Focus (1.8 TDCi 135k) which a mechanic noticed has a serious rust problem on the sump pan. Said he'd never seen it on a car only 3 years old, it's high mileage but it has a panel underneath so the sump should be protected.

The rust is quite deep not just on the surface, I have been scraping it off somewhat nervously.... I know its not that expensive for a new one but surely this shouldn't happen on a 3 year old car? Anyone seen a similar problem? I might go back to the dealer who did the last service in January (major one at 125k) and ask why they didn't spot it...

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - madf

If it has been near the sea, quite possible.

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - mccgarage
See loads of these the focus 1.8 petrols normally
Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - Chris M

My 1.8 petrol (2004) has an aluminium sump. Are you talking old focus or are Ford cutting costs on the newer ones?

Edited by Chris M on 16/07/2012 at 16:46

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - gordonbennet

Our old much missed mate Oilrag swore by Castrol CL waterproof grease, used to coat his sumps as well as brake pipes, subframes etc in the stuff.

Quick rub down with a wire brush and a coat of that should keep the tin worm at bay.

Anyway, i keep hearing that modern cars are the dogs bits and don't rust.

Anyway, i keep hearing that modern cars are the dogs bits and don't rust.

The bodyshell may not (unles i t's a Merc 1996-2004) but the brackets will as ttehy are just black paint on bare steel - no primer - or - even worse- powder coated.

W124s rust like crazy everywhere after 20 years o so I believe, New front wings and brackets anyone? :-)

I use waxoil and Dinitrol (exposed bits).. works a treat.. We had a 1978 Mini estate with original sills in 1992 when we sold it.

Edited by madf on 16/07/2012 at 18:53

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - gordonbennet

''The bodyshell may not (unles i t's a Merc 1996-2004) but the brackets will as ttehy are just black paint on bare steel - no primer - or - even worse- powder coated.''

Few, only those who think like us, can be bothered to look underneath these days, and whats happening down there, even after one or two winters might be a revelation if only they could be bothered, does nobody realise any more that a little TLC costing a few pounds and hours can save thousands over the years.

My W124 is 16 now and still, with reasonable care and attention in good order, did need a bit of welding this year, one of those silly rubber bungs round the rear wheelarches caused a fracture in the undersealing allowing water ingress, so needed plating.

Reckon you're about right though, another 5 years will probably see it at decision time, either get rid or send it in for a full bare metal body refurb/refit, mechanically its still as good as new and costs little to run on LPG, either way it will owe me nothing, had it about 10 years now so if i get another 5 and its worth nothing, that will be about £600 a year depreciation, i can live with that....might be going up in value by then anyway (assuming the govt of the day doesn't ban old cars to keep their paymasters happy), one of the last 320 coupe's made.

..might be going up in value by then anyway (assuming the govt of the day doesn't ban old cars to keep their paymasters happy), one of the last 320 coupe's made.

Nah. The Gov't actuaries have probably worked out that the old duffers who own and Drive them are all going to turn up their toes in the next 10 years antway. So it's the scrappie or a "driven once a month" routine for them after that

:-)

Edited by madf on 16/07/2012 at 19:14

My car is 3 years old - that makes it a 2009 model :-) So yes they must be using steel sump pans more recently, unless a dodgy garage has replaced it, unlikely as its had all ten services through the lease company (main dealers although one was Nissan not Ford).

About wire brushing - the rust is deep, I started with a wire brush but now I am scraping it away with a flat blade screwdriver, I have stopped as I am worried it will break right through. Don't think I can post a photo here but its bad believe me.

My plan is to take it to my local Ford main dealer and ask their opinion.

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - 1litregolfeater

I waxoyl sumps when I see rust, but you need to do it every year as it washes off. Being exposed

Anyway it's a Ford. I was a bit worried by all the reports about the new Fords being sooper dooper oober Mazdas...

till I read this

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - jc2

Ford have used (and still use steel sumps) since the beginning of the last century-alloy sumps are only used when the need(usually NVH)for extra rigidity is required.NVH=noise,vibration,harshness.

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - 659FBE

When I first ran a car, the sump was aways oily and dirty - cork sump gaskets always leaked as did many other parts of the engine.

This problem, which affects other cars such as FIATs, is really a tribute to polymer sealers which have now largely displaced discrete gaskets.

The makers should be aware of this and galvanise steel sumps. I look after a Peugeot 106 diesel with 173k miles and have just changed the oil. The sump is dry and dusty with a few small dents - no oil leaks anywhere. There's also no significant rust.

In those days, Peugeot got it right, I wish they were as good now.

Edited by 659FBE on 19/07/2012 at 12:32

Engine undertrays prevent sumps rusting..

Son had a 106 1.1 petrol where the sump rusted away after 10 years.

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - CDJPB

Hi, I had the same problem a few years ago on a Ford Fiesta with only 40k on the clock after 3.5 years. It was picked up during its service and after kicking up a fuss with the dealership Ford agreed to pay for it. Try it, you never know! JB

> Engine undertrays prevent sumps rusting..

Well actually... my car has an undertray, but something I found when I removed it (probably should have mentioned before!) was the spongy covering (top/sump side) was soaked with water. So maybe it is collecting water, then the 'wet sponge' is being held for long periods against the sump.

If so then my attention needs to turn to finding the source of the water collecting in the undertray?

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - Simon

My Focus ST170 ('54 plate) suffered with a major rusting sump problem and I have just replaced the sump in the last few weeks. I have owned the car from new, it has not been abused and only has 24,000 miles on the clock (I don't have much opportunity to use it!)

Anyway the sump had rusted that far that it was weeping oil through the rust scabs, which I find very poor all in all quality wise. The car doesn't have an undertray to hold water or anything like that, it has just rusted plain and simple.

It is quite a common fault on Focus's and Mondeo's and maybe some other models around the same era as I am led to believe that the 1.8's and the 2.0's have the same pressed steel sump pans, where as 1.6's had alloy sumps. I am quite surprised though that it is still a problem on the newer Focus!

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - unthrottled

have owned the car from new, it has not been abused and only has 24,000 miles on the clock

Well, that's why it has rusted! The oil probably never gets hot and water thrown up from the road will inevitably corrode it. It's not a major problem. Alloy sumps can also be a pain because the steel drain plug can easily become seized, and the female thread is easily stripped if the drain plug is overtightened.

The same goes for mild steel exhausts. They only rust if the driver doesn't know what to do with the throttle.

NB-an engine undertray won't stop rusting, it will exacerbate it because you're reducing the airflow around the sump which is neccesary to evaporate the water which WILL find its way onto the sump.

Edited by unthrottled on 21/07/2012 at 16:18

Just to follow up in case anyone is reading... I took to my local main Ford dealer, who inspected and put on the report 'Sump in good condition, some slight surface corrosion', the latter of which may be strictly true because I'd scraped large chunks of rust off before taking it in! So not very impressed. If I could post a picture you'd see what a state its in.

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - carl233

As already said do brush a layer of waxoyl on it, or better still a mix of waxoyl and engine oil it will make it allot better. I had a rusted fuel tank on an old Granada once that was falling apart with rust and a generous coat of waxoyl and engine oil did save the day.

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - edlithgow

Sunflower oil and rub with aluminium foil. Don't bother with any further de-rusting. The iron oxide powder just mixes in to the resultant paste.

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - argybargy

My son's 1997 Fiat Punto had a perforated sump, but apparently its a known problem with the model. Off to check the sump of my 5 year old Focus now, because until I read this I would never have believed that a three year old car could suffer serious external rust except through accident damage.

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - edlithgow

Its probably a failure to adapt to "progress".

All my ancient bangers have had steel sumps, but they were always oily, so rust was never likely to be an issue.

Modern engines likely don't leak as much, and/or they have longer oil change intervals, with less chance of spillage during filling.

Further to the sunflower oil / aluminium treatment - Rolled up beercan section in a tube in a drill chuck, or (on large flattish surfaces like this) flattened can with a hole through it, to form a grinding disk. Sawn-off bolt with washers as a mandrel (that the right word?)

Eye/face/hand protection, natch. Latter could fly off, and it might have some sharp edges

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - carl233

I do not wish to sound critical, but the sump having quite serious rust on a fairly recent vehicle is nothing but 'third world build quality'. I purchased a new car earlier this year and the first thing I did after purchase was to place it on the ramps and spend two solid days rust proofing it, saying that I intend to keep it for over 10 years.

Ford Focus - Sump Corrosion - 3 year old Focus - unthrottled

Sumps are like exhausts. They only corrode if they don't get hot. Alloy sumps can be a pain because people virtually always over-tighten the plug because they've frightened of it working loose.Tight steel nut in alloy thread either results in galling.

Try driving the car a bit harder or buy a car with an engine appropriately sized to your needs and the corrosion will cease.