Any - Successes in claiming for pothole damages? - craig-pd130

Has anyone had success in claiming for damages caused by potholes? If so, have you any tips to share that could help improve chances of a claim being successful?

My son hit a pothole close to the crown of a local B-road coming home from work late Saturday night, bending a suspension wishbone which has rendered the car undriveable until it's replaced, and denting / scraping the front wheel that hit the hole.

Parts and labour for the suspension job (new arms, bushings, new mounting bolts etc) alone is around £300, and a new replacement wheel would be £350 (it's beyond a refurb job, and was unmarked before the incident).

On Sunday we went to the road and took pics. Looking on Fixmystreet, there are two reports of the specific pothole he hit (both reported on the same day), and there is actually a repair ongoing to a large hole in the verge of the road (with barriers around the hole) about 40 yards from the actual hole my son hit.

To me, the existing ongoing repair indicates the council must know of the general state of the road, which I would hope strengthens our case.

Please do share your experiences.

Any - Successes in claiming for pothole damages? - bathtub tom

I think it depends on when the pothole was first reported and when you son did the damage. Did the relevant authority have sufficient time to effect a repair?

You may stand a good chance, as the pothole had been reported (which is why I always report potholes, as it may help someone else).

Any - Successes in claiming for pothole damages? - Avant

I think you're right, Craig. I have hit a few potholes - each time in Oxfordshire, which has one of the least efficient local authorities of all.

The rule seemed to be that if you were the first to report it, it wasn't their fault (!) so they wouldn't pay. However I think they might have done if, as in your son's case, it's been reported and they haven't done anything about it.

Any - Successes in claiming for pothole damages? - thirts

It is possible but unlikely that you could make a successful claim.

First you would need to prove that the Council have been negligent. To do this you will probably have to make a Freedom of Information (FOI) to the Council asking if the pothole had been reported, and a copy of their inspections records for that section of the Highway and the agreed schedule for inspection. Local Authorities are supposed to inspect highways a regular intervals ( I don't know what they are and it depend on the nature of the road),

So there are three possible ways you may be able to claim:

1) The Council failed to inspect the highway according to schedule

2) The Council did inspect but failed to rectify the defect (if it was noted)

3) A member of the public reported it and the Council failed to take action in a reasonable amount of time

Any - Successes in claiming for pothole damages? - Engineer Andy

I think from memory, councils get a window of two days to repair significant, dangerous road faults - any identified by us as such (as opposed to minor [whether by diameter and/or depth, etc]) have to be inspected within 24 hours and then a decision is made what to do next. The more major the road, the higher a priority that fault gets. I would also hope that areas known to be accident blackspots will also elevate issues more. Non-critical ones can take anywhere from a week to months to repair.

It's why it is vitally important for us to always take and upload decent quality photos (both close-ups and wide angle ones to give location, context and size comparison to nearby landmarks - more 'proof') to fault reporting sites, and given governments and councils amazingly 'losing' data on a very regular basis, I'd now consider reporting it to both them and independent ones like fixmystreet, just in case the council denied all knowledge.

I also put plenty of typed detail about the fault, especially if it is safety-critical, inclduing a possible (reasonable) scenario of what could happen should it not be repaired asap. That often gets jobs pushed to the front as much as a photo of a big pothole. Just don't go overboard with such consequences to avoid a 'boy who cried pothole' tag.