Trend of car sales following pandemic? - movilogo

Has there been any study of how pandemic has affected new car sales?

The 5-day a week commute is thing of the past and even when we go back to normal, it is unlikely to comeback especially if the job is desk based and can be done remotely.

This means diesel cars won't be sought after. Further, in lock down people do shorter and fewer journeys, so another reason to avoid the diesels.

But has there been any trend where people are avoiding diesels and choosing hybrids?

How it will affect the used car prices? People often buy cars to impress others, rather than as means of transports. If people are not meeting others (either for work or social gatherings) there is less need to impress others so a more dependable but un-sexy brand may be better bet than luxury but unreliable motors.

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - Heidfirst

This any use for Q1? www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest-fleet-news/electri...e

www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-n...0

www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-n...0

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - mcb100

I'll agree with all the above, but that was before Saturday's announcement of an English lockdown this week.

I know there has been a rush today to get cars bought and collected before close of play on Wednesday, which means dealers are in the driver's seat as far as pricing is concerned.

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - daveyjp

Hitachi finance have tightened their lending criteria to exclude people employed in hospitality industries, I am sure others are undertaking similar reviews and will impact sales.

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - movilogo

The floodgate of redundancies may lead to PCP defaulters and subsequently those cars ending up dealers' forecourts - driving price down.

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - pd

Drop in new car sales will probably continue to push up prices of used as it is all about supply.

Prestige stuff is actually doing very well at the moment - money people would be spending on holidays, clothes, meals or whatever they are instead spending on the car they have always promised themselves.

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - Andrew-T

.... they are instead spending on the car they have always promised themselves.

That lets me out then .... :-)

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - madf

I am waiting for cheap second hand EVs...

About 7 years form now.

(Like I posted about a decade ago waiting for cheap Citroen C6s)

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - RT

I am waiting for cheap second hand EVs...

About 7 years form now.

(Like I posted about a decade ago waiting for cheap Citroen C6s)

There won't ever be cheap EVs.

Presently the cheapest second-hand EVs are Mitsubishi MiEV/Peugeot Ion/Citroen C-zero and leased battery Renault Zoe's - they're about 4x the price of similar age IC cars

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - Andrew-T

<< There won't ever be cheap EVs. >>

Not in our lifetimes probably. But pretty well every man-made article becomes cheap when supply exceeds demand. Perhaps the intrinsic value of the rare metals in the battery will make a difference.

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - Terry W

S/H EVs will become cheaper, if for no other reason than a (say) 8 year old EV is way behind in terms of range, recharging times, gizmos etc compared to the current equivalent.

A 7-8 year old Nissan Leaf starts at around $4500 - £5500. A similar age Micra or Note come in at about £2000 - 3000. So the % depreciation on EV and ICE are not dissimilar - given their original new price.

Trend of car sales following pandemic? - daveyK_UK
Interestingly, good friend who works at Nissan/Renault/Dacia dealership reckons today was their best day since September, lots of visits and sales despite lockdown.

One family purchased a new Sandero and new Duster; a car salesman’s dream to get two sales from one customer.
They should be turning customers away, non-essential retail (including car sales) are closed - unless they’re in Scotland?
It’s online and telephone activity only, with showrooms being closed to customers.
Trend of car sales following pandemic? - Bolt
They should be turning customers away, non-essential retail (including car sales) are closed - unless they’re in Scotland? It’s online and telephone activity only, with showrooms being closed to customers.

TBH, not much different today in shops garages to normal, anyone would think not many are taking any notice of Lockdown around London, imo its annoying people doing there own thing, anyone would think they don`t care about anyone else!

Just a touch frustrating when I spend all day telling customers that a major dealer group is closed for physical sales, in accordance with the legislation, and apparently hear of a main dealer open and trading face to face.