toyota yaris 2013 - Yaris Heater Control Cluster - greysynchro

My Yaris has a three dial Heater/AC Control Cluster.

The illumination behind the middle knob which controls the fan speed has an intermittent fault where by the light fails to work. If tapped then most times it will re-light.

As is most cases, bulbs are not covered under any warranty. However the bulb is not accessible for a DIY'r nor an independent garage to replace. My main Toyota dealer confirms that it is not covered. They also advise they cannot replace the bulb alone and that the whole three dial cluster has to be replaced at a cost of over £100 plus labour!!!! Surely if an item is an integrated part of the facia that it should be deemed as a warranty item. They stated that it is a wear and tear item. I can understand where side/headlights etc are concerned BUT a low power bulb for a switch!!!

toyota yaris 2013 - Yaris Heater Control Cluster - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t see how any manufacturer would warrant a bulb on a 7 year old car . It’s possible that the heater panel can dismantled some how to access the bulb . Someone has made it , so very likely it can be taken apart.
toyota yaris 2013 - Yaris Heater Control Cluster - daveyjp

https://youtu.be/yhBCHMIWU08

shows it can be done.

toyota yaris 2013 - Yaris Heater Control Cluster - greysynchro

Its no so much a warranty on a bulb, but the dealer saying that the whole cluster has to be renewed. As you say, I'm sure that the cluster could be removed and then just replace the dial which has the faulty bulb. Think I will get a second opinion from another Toyota dealership.