Jeep Cherokee towing - Questionable

I have a Jeep Cherokee sport, 2.4l petrol, 2002.

I towed with it recently (1500kg max) and had to stop at a junction, it was a slight incline to pull out and as I accelerated it didn't feel like it wanted to pull the trailer away, obviously we did get going but it made me feel a bit queezy imagining being stuck on the junction! I am now wondering what will happen if I have to do a hill start when towing a trailer (Ivor Williams horse trailer). I've towed for years so am aware of how to do it but thought I'd ask if there was a "different way" to moving off in a jeep than any other car!? I know that sounds a dumb question.

I also noticed when driving up hill it slowly loses the power (lacks any guts) in 5th or 4th so I'm needing to work the gears slot, is there setting I can do to help it out or should I accept that's how it is.

Jeep Cherokee towing - RT

A 2.4 litre petrol with a big load like that is always going to be sluggish - up hills you need to get the engine into it's power band by selecting the right lower gear.

That's why turbo-diesels are so much better for towing than non-turbo petrols.

Jeep Cherokee towing - Falkirk Bairn

Sounds like a slipping clutch to me.

Thank you, just having a look around the internet to get idea of cost etc and trying to find parts for a jeep of that year seems almost impossible, years seem to go from 1997 to 2001 and then start up again later. ??

Jeep Cherokee towing - RT

Thank you, just having a look around the internet to get idea of cost etc and trying to find parts for a jeep of that year seems almost impossible, years seem to go from 1997 to 2001 and then start up again later. ??

I'd imagine that most KJ Cherokee's sold in Europe would have been diesel, using the ubiquitous VM Motori 2.5 CRD - if you're looking internationally, the KJ was called the Jeep Liberty in USA and Canada.

Jeep Cherokee towing - Metropolis.
It will either be a XJ or KJ. As it’s 2.4 it is likely to be an early KJ.
Jeep Cherokee towing - badbusdriver

If you are looking at prices for a new clutch, wouldn’t it be a better idea to confirm that there definitely is a slipping clutch first?. Nothing you said in your original post would make me jump to the conclusion that the clutch is slipping (that’s not to say it isn’t). When you say you are losing power, are the revs racing on, out of sync with the speed slowing?. If not, it’s unlikely to be the clutch.

I suspect that the ‘problem’ is simply as has been said, (smallish) naturally aspirated petrol in combination with towing something heavy is not going to result in brisk performance either pulling away from rest or climbing hills. Peak torque (pulling power, which is separate from horsepower/brake horsepower) on your car happens at 4000rpm. A diesel equivalent will not only have much more torque, it will peak around 1500rpm, which is much better for towing. You need to be aware that the towing capacity of your car is simply based on things like it’s kerbweight, suspension and brakes. It is in no way a guide on how well the engine will cope with pulling that 1500kg.

As to your last point about model years, not sure where you are getting info from?. You have the 3rd gen car (2002-2008), the model before that, was much more popular with a 13 year production run (1988-2001/2), and the 4th gen car ran from 2008-2012.

Sorry if I don't answer all the comments, alot to answer.

I'm pretty sure it's the clutch especially after today, having to pull away on a hill (traffic jam between large vehicles on narrow road in front) it just very slowly juddered to get going. There is a noise when I accelerate to start with and what can only be described as a slight wheel spin. There was also a slight smell. the clutch is right at the top as well.

Towing that weight is a once a month event for 25 miles (round trip), the roads wouldn't let you get into 5th gear anyway and it is difficult even when not towing (roads are awful round where I am!). The only other towing it will do is a bit further, again once a month but with 1300kg weight.

Someone asked where I got my info from for year of vehicle. It is a 2002 vehicle and when I looked up parts (just in general) it would stop at year 2001 then start up again a few years afterwards.

I'm not following with the gen comments, apologies. I think it is an xj from what I could see but again I don't know.

Jeep Cherokee towing - badbusdriver

Sorry if I don't answer all the comments, alot to answer.

I'm pretty sure it's the clutch especially after today, having to pull away on a hill (traffic jam between large vehicles on narrow road in front) it just very slowly juddered to get going. There is a noise when I accelerate to start with and what can only be described as a slight wheel spin. There was also a slight smell. the clutch is right at the top as well.

Towing that weight is a once a month event for 25 miles (round trip), the roads wouldn't let you get into 5th gear anyway and it is difficult even when not towing (roads are awful round where I am!). The only other towing it will do is a bit further, again once a month but with 1300kg weight.

Someone asked where I got my info from for year of vehicle. It is a 2002 vehicle and when I looked up parts (just in general) it would stop at year 2001 then start up again a few years afterwards.

I'm not following with the gen comments, apologies. I think it is an xj from what I could see but again I don't know.

Yours is the KJ, which is the 3rd gen car. I know this because the 4cyl petrol option on the XJ (the 2nd gen car) was 2.5 not 2.4.

As for parts availability, not sure what else you are looking for, but typing 2002 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 clutch kits into Google gets heaps of links. This includes EBay where a Sachs 2 piece clutch kit is available for around £100.

Thank you for that info. Appreciated.

Jeep Cherokee towing - Manatee

Apologies if it sounds patronising to say this to an experienced tower but based on my experience with a variety of cars with a similar kerbweight and usually towing a 1200Kg caravan I'd say you can forget top gear altogether when towing.

You're nearly doubling the weight of the bare vehicle with that trailer, and at 50mph in 5th you'll have 2000 rpm which gives you a whole 50bhp maximum to move at least 3.5 tonnes when you add in a driver and a bit of clobber. 4th isn't much better but 3rd will give you nearly 100bhp at the same road speed.

www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2002/1324700/jeep...l

Getting that lot off the line uphill without a low box is going to take 4000rpm, a lot of gas, and will not be kind to the clutch.

Are you sure you aren't expecting too much?

Not to say there isn't something amiss - you know your own car and if you think it's not right, then maybe it isn't.

A diesel with an old-style torque converter auto box makes life a lot easier.

Edited by Manatee on 16/10/2020 at 09:42

The junction I was pulling out of when towing was a very slight incline, seen a petrol Kia just pull away towing alot more with absolutely no problem.

When I had to do the hill start after being caught up behind bigger vehicles I was not towing. The hill is steep but been in many different vehicles including an old battered transit and it would start off on that hill better than the jeep did so it definitely needs looking at.

Jeep Cherokee towing - Manatee

Thank you for explaining that. I agree your car is knackered. Hope you get it sorted.