Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Charles Brigante

Hello everybody. New to the site. I've recently purchased a vehicle and after now reading some of the things said about my vehicle I am worried that I have made a grave mistake.

My new vehicle is a 2.2 diesel mazda 6 tourer. It's on a 2013 plate. I purchased it 2-3months ago with 71k on the clock and I have already got it up to 76k.

Before I go into my issue I will say that I was aware of the dpf needing regeneration and I am aware that these engines are not designed for short trips. I am also aware that mazda likes to mis-sell these dpf vehicles to unsuspecting people that will not drive it the way its intended, only drive it to the shops or around town and wonder why the dpf breaks.

I do actually do a lot of driving, mostly motorway and A road. I spend most of my time in 6th gear doing 70. My partner and I are the adventurous type, a 6 hour drive in of a Saturday is the normal to us, we also don't live anywhere near our family so regardless of who's family we visit they are at least an hour and a half drive away. My daily commute to work is also a half hour motorway/a road drive each way. So as you can tell, it was most definitely a diesel engine I required. I am clued up on the dpf regeneration process, how frequently it requires one and I actually do have software on my laptop with a modified cable to connect up to my car in order to force into a static regeneration as and when it is required.

I was making the swap from a 58 plate mondeo titanium x sport 2.2 diesel which I had got up to 160k on the clock. I would always manage to get between 550 - 600 miles to the tank. Road tax on this vehicle was £200 a year. I was looking at (and now wish I had) staying with mondeo and upgrading to a 2013 or thereabouts facelift version of my previous car which would have seen the horses increase from 175 to 200 but also the tax go from 200 to 220. I was set on this but then I discovered the mazda 6 sport nav tourer. Comparing them they are similarly specced out, with some features being better on the Ford, some better on the mazda. The mazda is slightly smaller but still just about big enough for my needs. It doesn't look as sporty as the ford but ultimately what made the mazda win it for me was the engine it boasted and the fuel economy. It boasted getting an extra 20mpg over the Ford and the more economical engine meant its only £30 road tax per year as well as ulez exempt so I saw this as being future proof. So trying to be a sensible father of two that spends a lot of time on the road, the mazda seemed the better choice.

Immediately after purchasing I was noticing a number of issues. Most of these have now been rectified apart from the worst issue of the lot which is the absolutely dreadful fuel efficiency. I feel as if it is drinking the diesel as if it was a 3 litre v8. I feel as if I am filling it up every other day. From a full tank I am only getting 420 miles. Over 100 less than I was getting from my 5 year older less economical ford mondeo. Infact its even less than I was getting from my old 2005 ford focus ghia 1.6 petrol. So basically what I am saving on tax a year I am spending more than at the pump and at this rate I will not be able to run the car.

The dealer I purchased it from kindly paid to have a diagnostic carried out at a mazda dealer. After being in for a full day, changing the seller of the vehicle 170pounds for the privilege, mazda claimed they had fixed the issue. They claimed that the car had 'learnt' the previous owners driving style and was only getting about 20mpg because of this, they said they had reset this so now the car should get 36.2mpg.. alarm bells was already ringing as that still sounds appallingly low and I explained for te 3rd time the type of driving I do and the mpg I was getting to my mondeo. They said I should notice a big change in the miles I was getting to a tank. To test this, I filled up a full tank and to my delight the new range said I should get over 600 miles out of it. However driving it, I literally watched in horror as the range disappeared at a rate of 1 mile to every 0.1 mile travelled. I literally watched the miles disappear by the second. It dropped dramatically until it leveled out and yet again to a full tank I got in the region of 420miles.

I got back onto mazda and told them that after a full day and changing 170pounds they had not fixed the issue. Infact I think all they did was go through the trip computer menu, press and hold on the average mpg and reset it.

This time they told me that they now believe the issue could be that the engine is clogged up. They said that it is a known issue to them that they don't like talking about but their engines are prone to clogging up to the point it will need taking apart and deep cleaning. They called this process a de-coat (not sure on spelling). They said this procedure will cost in the region of £1000 and could take over a day, but as it is an issue mazda know is wrong with their engines, they would pay for it on their own warranty at no cost to me.

They booked the car in and as I am a key working, this time begrudgingly agreed to provide me with a courtesy car. They had my vehicle in for 1 and a half days, showed me before and after photos of inside my engine and how it is now shiny clean in there and said this will have now definitely solved the issue.

I again did a full tank and to my amazement, it now said I had a range of over 700 miles to the tank. I reset the trip computer to keep an eye on this.

Yet again to my horror I watched the miles disappeared at a rate of 1 mile per 0.1 miles travelled. This was while doing 70 in 6th gear at 05:30am on the m1 with all lanes clear. It dropped and eventually started to level out the lower it got. I have now currently done 230 miles and it is saying I have a range of 190 left to go.

So after this long post I hope it may have been an interesting read for some of the intelligent folk on here and I hope someone may be able to offer up some advice on getting an mpg out of it you would expect from a 2.2 diesel that's driven the way it was intended.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - gordonbennet

Firstly you can't go by the OBC, only brim to brim figures are an accurate way to check fuel usage.

Secondly, i would be inclined to check the odometer against a known distance, as you're travelling regularly long distances this should be fairly easy to do via a strand alone satnav or your mileage covered memories from the Mondeo, it could be the odo on this car is underreading, or the odo on the Mondeo was wildly optimistic, cars overread the speedometer by quite a bit but no one ever checks if the odo is doing the same.

What size fuel tanks are we talking about here, and are both cars of the same transmission type so comparing apples with apples.

Thirdly, i don't believe you are getting 20mpg on a long run in top gear, you'd be laying smoke like a battleship or the dpf would be regenerating every few miles to clean the extra soot being produced (does your own diagnostics tell you when or how often its regenerating?), something is wrong with the calculations here, is the back of the car covered in a sooty film.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/09/2020 at 06:07

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Ian D
Get the brim to brim figure as has been said. When you have this you may have a good case to reject the car and get a refund, as attempts to fix it have failed. A Mondeo is a much better option...

Edited by Ian D on 23/09/2020 at 06:29

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Charles Brigante

Just to clarify, by brim to brim do you mean fill the tank to the brim, empty it, then fill it to the brim again and see how many miles was covered in between? If this is correct then yes I can confirm the figure is 420 miles give or take a few. Which is less than I got from a 1.6 petrol. The dealer I bought it from did offer me a full refund a month and a half after purchase, but annoyingly I did like the car apart from the fuel issue and it would have meant a 6 hour round trip to return the car as I did travel to purchase it, which would also leave me in the predicament of unless the dealer has a car there I want to swap it for, I am stuck 3 hours from home with no car. I am a key worker and I am actually playing a key role in tackling the current epidemic we are facing so therefor I require a car for getting to work and cant afford to be without one. So at the time it seemed it would be more hassle to return the car than to keep it so the dealer kindly offered to pay for diagnostics by a proper mazda garage and fix what they initially thought was the problem. The dealer has also paid 500 for a full set of new tyres so I rolling on Avon zx7 all round which are absolutely amazing and they did give a bit extra towards the extra fuel it has been drinking. So I really can't fault the dealer on trying to rectify this.

And after mazda said about them covering the cost of the engine cleaning they was adamant that would resolve the issue so I was hoping to keep the car rather than going through the hassle of replacing it. But the de-coat literally hasn't done a thing. I have to say I do like the feel of the ride, it handles well and smoothly and the grip from the tyres is amazing. It's just drinking diesel like no tomorrow.

Thank you for your reply.

I have been filling up a full tank, recording the estimated range from said tank then resetting the trip computer to record exactly how much I manage to travel before I need to fill up again. I wouldn't normally but I have been letting it get to within 30-50 miles to empty and I add how many miles I have left to how many miles the trip computer has covered and I always come put with around 420 to the tank. I will then brim the tank doing another full fill up to ensure that the numbers aren't out. I am always filling up roughly the same amount of litres so I am certain to a full tank I am only getting in the region of 420.

I have tested it is reading accurately by recording it over a known distance. For example a trip from Birmingham to Nottingham is roughly 60miles and is a trip I've regularly done in both cars. The odo does seem to tally up with the distance added. Also in the mondeo for example I could have a range of say 520 till empty, I could set off from Birmingham, drive the 60 miles to Nottingham doing 70 in 6th for say 80% of the way, not only would the drive not make a dent on my range or fuel gauge, I would actually park up with a range of say 540, so I'll of done the 60 mile drive and some how end up with a range greater than before I set off. It was amazing.

Also for example I used to stay in Wales quite a bit for a staycation of sorts, in the mondeo I could fill up a full tank, drive 4 hours to wales and maybe touch a quarter tank, I could then drive around wales for a week, not fill up and safely drive back to Nottingham all on one tank and I would cover a distance totaling the 600 mile mark.

In the mazda, if I drive from Birmingham to Nottingham I watch my range disapear and lose almost double what the drive actually was.

After the car went in for iit's decoat, I filled up a full tank and it said I had a range of 717 miles till empty. But after a drive to work and back totaling 44 miles on the motorway doing 70 in 6th my range had dropped to 532. So I had lost 185 range from driving 44. Like I said I have now done abouts 240 and it is saying the range left is now 190.

Both engines are 2.2 diesel, the mondeo had 175bhp, the mazda has 150bhp. Both are manual 6speed transmission. The mondeo did have a slightly bigger tank at 70litres to the mazdas 62litre tank. But the mazda is smaller, lighter and apparently has a 2nd alternator to harness otherwise lost energy and redistribute it around the car to power the electrics etc to take pressure off the main alternator and thus use less fuel to power the electrics, thus boasting an extra 20mpg over the mondeo.

So at the very least I'd expect the mazda range to be on par with the mondeo given it has a 5 year younger more economical engine but nope its getting over 100 less.

I didnt say I'm only getting 20 mpg, the mazda dealer claimed the previous owner was some how only getting about that. Going through the trip computer it says i get between a range of 35 to 40 mpg.

My software doesn't tell me when a regeneration has been done no but I did force a regeneration the night before it went in for its engine to be cleaned out.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - paul 1963

Think your getting obsessed by the range the cars telling you you have, its mpg you should be looking at.

I don't actually think you have a problem or fault.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - daveyjp

You cannot rely on the range as it recalculates every trip using the average of the previous trip.

If I have a 10 gallon tank and achived 50mpg on my previous run, then fill up, it will state 500 miles. If I only did 30 mpg it will state 300 miles.

The long term average is the best figure to use

i know it recalculates constantly per trip. I was just trying to use it as an example comparing the mazda range to the mondeo. The mondeo range was actually accurate. If i filled it up and it said i had a range of say 550 and I kept watch of how many miles I actually did till I emptied the tank, I would always manage to actually get 550 out of it if not more. My point being the range expected from a ful tank on filling up was always at least what I'd actually manage to do.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Andrew-T

This advice is OK except for one thing IMHO - 'brim to brim'. Firstly it means you have to empty a full tank to get an answer; secondly I don't really like having a full-full tank anyway.

I suggest (if you do a deal of M'way driving) when the fuel warning light shows, put in (say) 20 litres exactly, then drive till it shows again. Do that two or three times and you will have more data, and will have used about a tankful.

Whether your odometer reads correctly is another issue, but it's unlikely to be far out without stopping altogether.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Engineer Andy

You cannot rely on the range as it recalculates every trip using the average of the previous trip.

If I have a 10 gallon tank and achived 50mpg on my previous run, then fill up, it will state 500 miles. If I only did 30 mpg it will state 300 miles.

The long term average is the best figure to use

To be fair, that engine, even an older one, should easily get 45mpg, and if mainly used on the motorway and driven properly and at legal speeds, 50 or so. This is backed up in the Real MPG section for this model, even if that represents a 25% drop off in expected vs real mpg.

My nearly 15yo Mazda3 1.6 petrol can get 45mpg on a similar driving pattern and 40-41 average, though I'm not heavy on the gas pedal (but no 'Captain Slow' either).

I find that with my car's trip computer, it starts off (tank fully brimmed) with about 450-570 miles left (depending on the weather at the time, as it bases the estimate on what it has been using recently), it drops slowly at around what it should, then at around the 100-150 miles left, drops at an increasing rate per mile, especially within the last 50-75 miles. Even so, there is likely to be some left as I've had to drive an 'sort-of emergency situations with zero left on the trip computer.

I get between 380 miles (dead of winter) and 470 miles (best weather conditions in late spring/early summer [no heating or A/C, good light), which equates to (using the brim-to-brim method) about 36mpg - 45mpg.

Sounds like either:

1. Some mis-calculation (never rely on the trip computer) in the mpg, which can easily be found by checking the odometer against a know distance via Google maps or similar;

2. A miscalibration of the speedo/odomoeter, which is under-reading the mileage - have the wheel/tyre sizes been checked again what they should be in the handbook? A fault in the odometer or the tyres/wheels changed and the odometer/speedo not recalibrated could've thrown the system out. Unlikely, as the discrepancy would only be in the order of 5-10 tops.

3. Some fault with the engine, emissions/exhaust system (DPF, EGR etc) or the fuel flow and/or fuel level gauge that gives a false reading. Again, unlikely, as the fuel pump at the filling station would also read low. The figure from the filling station should always be used, never the trip computer, if it gives 'fuel used'.

My money's on some serious fault/blockage in the emissions/exhaust system, but it could that and a odometer calibration error.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of problems with Mazda diesels is high as they age unless their usage (not just service) history can be proven 100% and that is mostly decent length trips at 40+mph, with a decent amount at 70. The low mileage for a car of that age would've been a distinct red flag to me unless the usage history could be proven, which it rarely can.

Often best to stick to your existing car - especially diesels, even if that means paying an extra £20 - £40 in VED pa, as that's nothing to spending £000s or more every year or two on repairs because of how it was used/cared for before you bought it. At least with an existing car, you know what it can do. Not anywhere near as bad for petrol-engined cars, as they are far less prone to the exhaust and emissions systems related problems associated with diesels and short trips.

Sadly, an expensive lesson to learn.

The mpg its telling me I'm getting is between 35 and 40. Your telling me a 2.2 diesel should only be getting 420 miles out of a full tank of motorway driving? If that's the case why would anyone buy a diesel engine and pay more for the fuel to run it when you can get more out of a 1.6 petrol

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Ian D
Yes you need to work out your mpg. Fill the car up, note the mileage and reset the trip odometer. Run the car down to low (between empty and quarter full), fill up, note how many litres you have put in, note the mileage covered between fills and do the sums to tell us your actual miles per gallon. This site has a real mpg section where owners of similar cars post their figures, then see where you are
Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - mcb100

Reliant on 3rd party figures, but the Mondeo is listed as having 70 litres fuel capacity, the Mazda 62 litres. So just under two gallons difference. There’s some of your disparity, and as stated above it’s MPG that counts, not how far it goes on a fuel refill.

In addition, is it the 150 or 175ps engine? As new, it would have had a sticker in the driver's door frame stating the trim level and engine output.

Edited by mcb100 on 23/09/2020 at 10:35

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Engineer Andy

Reliant on 3rd party figures, but the Mondeo is listed as having 70 litres fuel capacity, the Mazda 62 litres. So just under two gallons difference. There’s some of your disparity, and as stated above it’s MPG that counts, not how far it goes on a fuel refill.

In addition, is it the 150 or 175ps engine? As new, it would have had a sticker in the driver's door frame stating the trim level and engine output.

Either way, the car should do a minimum of 45mpg and likely in the OP's case 50+, which equates to a range of around the 550 mile mark (average over the year) assuming you use 56L or of the 62L capacity (leave in 10%).

I get an average of 420 miles from my Mazda 3's 55L tank under a similarish driving pattern, and mine's a 1.6 petrol that's 7 years older in design.

To me, something isn't right with the OP's car.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Simpo
I had the 150ps engine in a 2015 model and returned over 50mpg consistently for the time I owned the vehicle (4 years) which generally equated to around 550-600 miles per tank if I recall.

I had no complaints with the MPG but the overall reliability of the car was another matter entirely needing 2 x new turbos and an entirely new engine, amongst other issues in the time I had the car. Thankfully all covered by Mazda.

Nice car when it was working though.

Thank you. This is exactly what I mean. You are getting 420miles out of a 1.6 petrol. I am only getting that much out of a 2.2 diesel. It is the 62L tank. Like I said before I have had older similarly sized diesels before and always got 550-600 to a tank.

I have apparently already put about 5000 on the clock in the few months that I have owned it and I would say 90% of that has been on motorways doing 70 in 6th gear

I know something is massively wrong with the vehicle and is costing me a fortune in fuel.

I know something is massively wrong with the vehicle and is costing me a fortune in fuel.

No doubt you are right. But what counts is not how many miles come out of a tank, but out of a gallon, or litre. Tanks aren't a standard unit, as has been said above - they just show how far you can get before refuelling.

To clarify again, my vehicle is the 62L tank with 150bhp. I recorded the mileage at the last fill up, I currently have about 170 ish range left/roughly a third of a tank. When I run it down enough I will be able to record what I've done before I need to fill up again and will be able to update with the real mpg of the car. So it is a slight waiting game until I can update with the mpg everyone is asking for. I am already on the case but I don't have the figure right now.

Some people are saying I am getting hung up on the range when it is about the mpg..

As someone else has said, there is only about a 2 gallon difference between the mazda and my older mondeo. The mondeo would always get between 550-600. The mazda is only getting 420 to a tank. Same driving conditions, mostly motorway.

I don't care what anyone says about mpg (not wanting to be rude) but to me that is blindly obvious something is wrong. The difference of 150 less range is a massive amount

It's a Mazda...it's a diesel, still think your fixated on the range rather than the mpg, if your genuinely not happy with the car then sell it on.

'It's a diesel' being the exact reason I bought the car. I needed a diesel for the increased fuel economy and mpg that it is supposed to get over a petrol on long distance higher speed driving which is exactly what I do.

I went from a 1.6 petrol which suited my needs at the time, going back 10 years now. Then my needs changed and I went to a diesel (mondeo), this was amazing on fuel and mpg, was only costly on road tax at 200 a year. I got the mondeo up to 160000 and it started to become unreliable.

I got rid of the mondeo and thought it might be sensible to go back to petrol due to the governmenta stance on diesels now and the stigma around them. I had a 1.6 petrol again for 6 months, hated it, did not suit my needs and had many issues with the car in question that put me in a massive financial situation. I cut my losses and decided I had to go back to diesel.

I was going to go back to a mondeo as its what I knew but then discovered the mazda which is supposed to have 20 MORE MPG than the mondeo. It is also 170 a year less road tax.

Comments saying its a mazda and it's a diesel are not of any help to me and frankly I find them rude and uncalled for. As its obvious to read that for my needs a petrol is just not suitable and the for financial and economical reasons I am better suited with a diesel.

Before coming on this forum I had only heard good things about mazda and the engine was supposed to be amazing for mpg.

We still don't actually know what mpg the vehicle is getting, until we get that figure we can't compare.

The mileage you get per tankful means little, because you won't say how much fuel is required to fill it, you can't go by the OBC, these things just are not as accurate as dividing the miles covered by the amount of fuel it takes to refill, full to full.

Just been having a look at the REAL MPG figures (above) for both your present car and the Mondeo, worth a peruse.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/09/2020 at 06:53

We still don't actually know what mpg the vehicle is getting, until we get that figure we can't compare.

The mileage you get per tankful means little, because you won't say how much fuel is required to fill it, you can't go by the OBC, these things just are not as accurate as dividing the miles covered by the amount of fuel it takes to refill, full to full.

Just been having a look at the REAL MPG figures (above) for both your present car and the Mondeo, worth a peruse.

I agree totally, I didn't mean my previous post to be rude..apologies

I didn't mean my previous post to be rude..apologies

You weren't being rude, what you posted was a fair coment.

Many here would not consider a Mazda Diesel due to the well reported issues and the well reported level of aftersales care.

Okay so after my last full fill up to the brim of roughly 58L from memory (which would of topped it up to the 62L capacity), I have now ran it down to roughly an 8th of a tank. I have recorded that from the 7/8 of a tank I have used, i have managed 356 miles. That is what the odo says I have travelled and I can say that is an accurate reading as I have done familiar trips to which I know the distances of.

I know people will say I'm obsessing about range, but the trip computer is estimating that I have another 50 miles to play with.

Today I will do a full fill up and I will be able to post how many litres I put in to brim it again amd we can calculate the real mpg.

When you have confirmed the consumption your car gives by your own measurements, and that its engine is running as it should, the only conclusion may be that published figures may be over-optimistic (they usually are). However it is generally true that a diesel car will consume about 20% less fuel than the corresponding petrol version. After allowing for price difference between fuels (which varies a lot) and different VED rates, you will be able to decide whether your annual saving is worth the cost of changing your car.

I note that you are doing something like 20K miles a year ?

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - daveyjp

May be worth putting the query to the owners club forum.

http://www.mazda6oc.co.uk/forum/

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - brum

First thing to do is check for fuel leaks, around the tank, fuel pipework, filler, fuel filter, evap system, injectors etc.etc.

IIRC also keep a keen eye on engine oil level as some japanese diesels are notorious for oil dilution with diesel fuel leading to oil levels rising sometimes with disastrous consequences.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Big John

Has the true mpg been calculated yet brim to brim yet.

Range shown can be irrelevant as it dependas on various calibrations. My Skoda Superb has a 60l tank but filling up when empty I 've rarely managed to get much more than 50l into it. When I measure mpg brim to brim over many tank fulls it has (well was because I got bored measuring) been averaging 45.7 mpg which I'm pleased with for a petrol car.

If mpg is truly awful then things need to be checked - eg is the engine regenerating too often. On active regenerations extra diesel is injected on the exhaust stroke to send it on its way to the DPF. On some engines, especially when worn this can cause all sorts off isuues , increased fuel consumption and pollution of the sump oil by diesel. Unfortunately Mazda diesels are well known for this. You may have bought another persons previous problem car.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - mcb100

Any news on the MPG figures yet?

Apologies for the lateness in my response chaps, life has been a bit hectic.

From my last full tank I actually managed to run it down to basically empty, the fuel level was down to 1 tiny bar and said I only had 14miles till empty.

I recorded my mileage over known distances and can confirm that from full to empty I managed a grand total of 384 miles.. the worst yet. If you want to add on the 14miles I had left to play with thats still only 398 which is absolutely apalling after mazda had it in for a day and a half to clean decoke the engine.

I filled up a full tank again but it only let me put in 50.94 litres before saying it was full.. I thought my tank was 62 litres.

Basing it on filling up 51 litres to fill it, I calculate that my mpg is roughly 35.1.. which is shockingly low by any standards. Especially considering mazda claim it should do about 70mpg for my style of driving..

Edited by Charles Brigante on 30/09/2020 at 06:13

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - RT

From my last full tank I actually managed to run it down to basically empty, the fuel level was down to 1 tiny bar and said I only had 14miles till empty.

I recorded my mileage over known distances and can confirm that from full to empty I managed a grand total of 384 miles.. the worst yet. If you want to add on the 14miles I had left to play with thats still only 398 which is absolutely apalling after mazda had it in for a day and a half to clean decoke the engine.

I filled up a full tank again but it only let me put in 50.94 litres before saying it was full.. I thought my tank was 62 litres.

Basing it on filling up 51 litres to fill it, I calculate that my mpg is roughly 35.1.. which is shockingly low by any standards. Especially considering mazda claim it should do about 70mpg for my style of driving..

Mazda don't "claim" anything - they're obliged by EU Directives to test to a certain pattern and publish the results.

Find out the Combined mpg figure for your car - take 70% of that which will give you a real world average for your car - compare that with your actual mpg over several tankfuls.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Heidfirst

It will be, just that Mazda are being cautious & allowing a margin for error (Toyota at least do the same) & stupidity. Restarting a diesel that has run dry can sometimes be a bit of a palaver (I don't know how the Mazda 2.2 fairs in that regard) & not just a case of putting more fuel in.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Stas

Hello Charles,

I can see most people here did not get the point you where getting at, but did you manage to solve the issue? I am having the same problem and only achieving around 38 mpg, even on the motorway?

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - S40 Man

Are your brakes binding at all? Jack each wheel and check it rotates nicely. A binding wheel can use quite a bit of extra fuel. Eliminate the easy things first.

I had that on a MK4 Mondeo.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Lee Power

A 7 year old Mazda diesel with only 71k miles on it when purchased points towards the previous owner has likely just been trundling about around town thinking there saving money running a diesel.

More than likely the case. I needed to get something with fewer miles as possible as I knew I would wrack them up quickly myself.. I'm already touching 77K. What can I do to undo the previous owners

Are your brakes binding at all? Jack each wheel and check it rotates nicely. A binding wheel can use quite a bit of extra fuel. Eliminate the easy things first.

Unless that is a recent development it should be reported at a MoT. I doubt it would greatly increase consumption, but if it did there would be some hot brakes after a few miles driving.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Heidfirst

from personal experience it is noticeable (at least by me but possibly not by people who aren't very attuned/alert) but yes, a single slightly binding wheel doesn't increase fuel use greatly but again, it is detectable if you regularly monitor your fuel use.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Catfood

Can a foreign object, such as, a plastic bag/film block the air flow to an air filter ?

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - madf

I would expect the inlet manifold, DPF or catalyst are carbonned up...

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Simpo
Seconded. Or that the DPF is constantly cycling and therefore over fuelling. During a regen the instant mpg dropped to around 30mpg in mine but usually only for the 15 minute regen cycle.

If this is the case, how do I rectify it? It has just had an engine decoke and a static dpf regeneration

Ok you say the tank capacity is "only" 2 gallons smaller than your previous car but that 2 gallons account for at least half of your "missing" range again compared to the range of the Mondeo given that you say your getting around 36mpg.

I agree 36 isn't brilliant but it's not awful either given it's a large car with a for nowadays large engine, it could be down to something stupid like the tyres fitted or there pressures, the aerodynamics of the car. As previously suggested join a Mazda forum and see what they say.

Edit: If you take a look at the real mpg section of this site you will see that Mazdas official figures are wildly optimistic compared to real world figures....

Edited by paul 1963 on 01/10/2020 at 07:30

The Real MPG section indicates this is unlikely to be related to the issues you raise, especially as the tyres would have to be seriously underinflated in order to drop the mpg that significantly, something that I would hope anyone would notice.

The Mazda6 is perfectly fine on the aero front. That specific model should achieve mid to high 40s mpg, unless the OP is ragging it all the time, which I doubt. The cause is likely an engine/exhaust/emissions system-related issue as previously described.

Unfortunately, as with Mazda diesels from the mid 2000s up until at least the last year or two, they have suffered greatly from reliability problems associated with periods of ownership where they were driven mainly for repeated short trips from cold.

If used as originally intended, they are generally fine, but all it takes, it seems to me, is a period of 6 months to a year of the wrong type of driving. Afterwards, it's then a lottery what happens on an ongoing basis, unless wholesale repairs are applied.

The problem for buyers is that there's rarely any proof of the driving pattern of every previous owner throughout the car's life, and dealers appear (to me anyway) to gloss over the problems and try to flog them on as quickly as possible to the next mug, whereby the cycle starts again. IMHO, there's a good reason why most Mazdas on main dealer forecourts are diesels (the other reason why many are also there are because they are top-spec models is the overly firm ride on low profile tyres). Owners of mid and lower spec petrol-engined models are generally happy ( as I am).

Sadly, this means many disgusted and out-of-pocket customers and lots of people likely to never buy a Mazda car again, even the far better (and generally very reliable [rotary engined ones excepting]) reliability-wise petrol-engined cars. Probably one of the main reasons why Mazda sales in the UK have never recovered from the 2008 slump, which most other makes did to far better degrees.

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - SLO76
I can’t really add much here that’s of use to the OP but I will use it as a reminder to anyone else reading to be careful when buying a used DPF equipped diesel. Do your homework before buying, research known faults and failures which in this case would deter anyone from buying a Mazda diesel. I would’ve suggested the 2.0 Skyactiv petrol which would be far more reliable and in this case more economical too.

I fear there’s a problem brewing with this particular car and my suggestion would be to offload it before it does what all too many Mazda diesels do and expires big time in a cloud of fumes. Trade it in,accept the loss and the lesson and buy a petrol engined model instead or spend more on a newer diesel from another brand.

Andy, SLO, I totally agree they appear to be nothing but trouble especially when bought with a few years/owners under there wheels, my earlier post was pure speculation (it was early).

Again I think your both as always correct, get shot of it asap..

Mazda 6 Tourer - Please help.. Mazda 6 2.2 diesel mpg mega issue - Mark O'Connor

Eh..maybe OP already moved on but I am having the exact same symptoms but in my case I have a fair idea it is a weak battery on my 2014 2.2d 150ps. Currently the istop&eloop on mine is disabled due to the weak battery and battery management system inspection required message on the dash. I'm having the new battery fitted but in the interim I've noticed the fuel mileage has decreased by about half. Could there be some issue with the eloop system on OPs model that is causing this overconsumption? Maybe needs a new capacitor or battery is on the way out? Fyi I do all highway driving 70mph 200km roundtrip each day

Mark

Edited by Mark O'Connor on 18/02/2022 at 09:39