Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - Mr.Paws

I'm looking to buy a car as I'm going to change jobs as I've had enough of where I work. I've been driving new company cars for the last three years. But this is obviously going to have to go back. I couldn't care less about cars, but would obviously not want to buy a crap one.

Previously before the company cars, I've never really spent more than 5k on a car. I've also kept them for ages. These were nearly always Japanese cars, although I had a couple of MK1 Focus' which were very good cars. I'm looking for something around that size. I had toyed with the idea of getting an FN2 Civic Type R, but the road tax puts me off, I know they're a cracking engine as I've had an EP3 that had done a lot of miles. I used to do just about all the maintenance on the cars I had.

I'm thinking to avoid diesel cars. I just want something that is reliable and not bad on fuel, I'm not bothered how fast it is, but I'm guessing it needs to be at least 100 BHP. I'm thinking of a Honda Civic, same shape as the FN2, Hyundai I30, Kia Ceed or possibly a Focus. Not sure I fancy a Vauxhall or anything French or Nissan (used to be great cars, wouldn't have one now). I just wondered if anybody had any ideas, or know of issues with petrol engines etc or these cars, or could suggest something else thanks.

Edited by Mr.Paws on 22/09/2020 at 10:52

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - madf

Son bought a 20111 Civic 1.8 petrol last Year. Just over £5k. 45k miles. FSH..

Great to drive..Roomy and it's a Honda so very reliable.

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - catsdad
Yes Civic is a good choice. Your budget will on the cusp of 1.8 mk8 and mk9. The later car will be better in most people's eyes not least as it has a rear wiper.

Thanks for the replies. I thought the Civic might be a really good choice. I've read a lot about the FN2, so know to look out for rust around the windscreen seal.

Edited by Mr.Paws on 22/09/2020 at 11:32

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - Electric Leaper

As reliability is high up on your list, consider the previous shape Toyota Auris 1.6 petrol manual. For your budget you'll get an excellent 2011 or 2012 example. The 1.6 petrol engine is reliable and pretty punchy with 130bhp and has the benefit of a 6 speed box.

Avoid the MMT automated manual in this model though.

Thanks I had thought about that car Sunny. I think a Toyota or a Honda are top of my list. What about a petrol version Mazda 3? Just curious that's all want to have as many options as possible.

Are the Korean cars not as good? My mother has had a couple of Hyundai I10's. Granted these were both new, but I was impressed with the interior build quality on both these cars.

Thanks again. I know NA petrol Japanese probably makes the most sense.

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - Electric Leaper

The petrol version Mazda 3 is a sound buy too with the 1.6 petrol engine - you'll get the previous shape 2009/2010 for your budget. However, this isn't as torquey or powerful as the Toyota 1.6 engine (103 vs 130bhp) so you'll have to drive it slightly harder and a lack of a 6th gear may be an issue (in terms of noise and fuel consumption) if you do lots of dual carriageway/motorway driving. However, flicking through Autotrader there is a 2010 Mazda 3 1.6 TS with 55k on the clock, advertised for £4,851 at a Mazda dealer that looks very tempting especially as the purchase price includes 12 months warranty (no images as yet).

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009183912322?m...1

Korean petrol engined cars are generally reliable, but have read on other posts that they can suffer from premature subframe corrosion.

Edited by Sunny M on 22/09/2020 at 13:27

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - catsdad

I had a Civic as my main car until a year go but our second car is a 2012 Mazda 1.6. Both are very good cars but the Civic is a better cruiser with more power, space and a six speed box. It’s also more economical (mid 40’s) than the Mazda 3 (mid to high 30’s) and feels like a class above in terms of fabric quality and solidity.

Having said that the Mazda is very nice to drive and if it’s power deficit and economy doesn’t bother you it’s worth considering. At you budget you will get one a year or so newer than the Civic.

Annoyingly the Mazda uses less popular tyre sizes than the Civic so tyres are about 25% more expensive. Not a deal breaker but budget accordingly if you find one needing four tyres. About £400 for a midrange brand.

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - Engineer Andy

I had a Civic as my main car until a year go but our second car is a 2012 Mazda 1.6. Both are very good cars but the Civic is a better cruiser with more power, space and a six speed box. It’s also more economical (mid 40’s) than the Mazda 3 (mid to high 30’s) and feels like a class above in terms of fabric quality and solidity.

Having said that the Mazda is very nice to drive and if it’s power deficit and economy doesn’t bother you it’s worth considering. At you budget you will get one a year or so newer than the Civic.

Annoyingly the Mazda uses less popular tyre sizes than the Civic so tyres are about 25% more expensive. Not a deal breaker but budget accordingly if you find one needing four tyres. About £400 for a midrange brand.

I've found the same when looking to replace my gen-1 55 plate Mazda3 with a gen-3 or 4 - TBH I thought the gen 2 car was fitted with the same wheel and tyre combos as the gen-1 - maybe Mazda changed the spec when the gen-2 has updated midlife. About £50 - £60 a tyre for the older models with standard tyres, about £95 - £120 for the new models on less common tyres, and with less choice and of newer (better) designs.

Daft thing is there's not much difference between them spec-wise, just a supply-and-demand thingy.

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - SLO76
Japanese petrol engined models such as the Civic, Toyota Auris, Mazda 3 and Ford Focus 1.6 which uses a Yamaha designed motor all make good options at this money. I’d avoid diesel and I’d forget hot hatches and prestige brands. A decent Mk III Focus 1.6 Zetec can be had for this money, all things equal it would be my preferred choice for its combination of reliability, driver appeal and low running costs. Don’t let anyone talk you into the 1.0 Ecoboost and I’d leave the diesels at this money.
Japanese petrol engined models such as the Civic, Toyota Auris, Mazda 3 and Ford Focus 1.6 which uses a Yamaha designed motor all make good options at this money. I’d avoid diesel and I’d forget hot hatches and prestige brands. A decent Mk III Focus 1.6 Zetec can be had for this money, all things equal it would be my preferred choice for its combination of reliability, driver appeal and low running costs. Don’t let anyone talk you into the 1.0 Ecoboost and I’d leave the diesels at this money.

Thanks this is more or less what I thought apart from the Focus. I didn't realise that the 1.6 was Yamaha designed. I've had 2 Mk1's, a 1.8 TDCI, despite the negative press about the engine I never got any grief and had it to about 100K. The other was a 1.6 Zetec automatic that my mum gave me, it was thirsty though, probably being an auto, but it was faultless. Whether the 1.6 from as old as this car a 2002 was designed by Yamaha I haven't a clue.

I'll definitely take a look at later Focus models though, as I did like the way the MK1's drove.

Edited by Mr.Paws on 22/09/2020 at 22:48

“ Whether the 1.6 from as old as this car a 2002 was designed by Yamaha I haven't a clue.

I'll definitely take a look at later Focus models though, as I did like the way the MK1's drove.”

It’s an updated version of the same engine and has a very good reputation for longevity. The Mk III is heavier and not as nimble as the Mk I but it’s much safer and better made. There’s a 1.6 Ecoboost too which uses this engine with a turbo bolted on, it’s great but rare. The normal 1.6 Zetec is a brilliant buy around this money.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/09/2020 at 11:10

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - Engineer Andy
“ Whether the 1.6 from as old as this car a 2002 was designed by Yamaha I haven't a clue. I'll definitely take a look at later Focus models though, as I did like the way the MK1's drove.” It’s an updated version of the same engine and has a very good reputation for longevity. The Mk III is heavier and not as nimble as the Mk I but it’s much safer and better made. There’s a 1.6 Ecoboost too which uses this engine with a turbo bolted on, it’s great but rare. The normal 1.6 Zetec is a brilliant buy around this money.

I think you mean mkII rather than mkIII? Just in case the OP gets confused.

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - 72 dudes
“ Whether the 1.6 from as old as this car a 2002 was designed by Yamaha I haven't a clue. I'll definitely take a look at later Focus models though, as I did like the way the MK1's drove.” It’s an updated version of the same engine and has a very good reputation for longevity. The Mk III is heavier and not as nimble as the Mk I but it’s much safer and better made. There’s a 1.6 Ecoboost too which uses this engine with a turbo bolted on, it’s great but rare. The normal 1.6 Zetec is a brilliant buy around this money.

I think you mean mkII rather than mkIII? Just in case the OP gets confused.

I think SLO does mean Mk111, but you wouldn't get one for £5k around here East Anglia) unless it's done starship mileage.

Look for a well maintained late Mk11 though and it could be a great buy. Or as said the Civic, Auris or 3.

Edited by 72 dudes on 23/09/2020 at 12:36

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - 72 dudes

Just checked, there's a small handful within 30 miles but all are coming up to 10 years old with 80k to 97k miles up.

“ I think you mean mkII rather than mkIII? Just in case the OP gets confused”

I was referring to the Mk III but I often forget that cars are usually cheaper up here. Here’s one from a Ford dealer on budget. The Mk II is a good car but they’re more prone to rot than the later model.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200903324...6

Edited by SLO76 on 23/09/2020 at 19:55

Most Reliable Hatchback For Under 5k? - barney100

A bloke I know ran up over 300,000 miles in a Fabia petrol...don't know the exact model....but that's pretty impressive.