Vauxhall Astra - £11000 for 2017 Astra? - Lemmy20

Hi all, thanks in advance for any input.

I'm being told by a neighbour I'm a d*ckhead for being about to pay £11000 for an Astra. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good deal but the guy works at a garage so I'm doubting things a bit. Here's more info on the car:

-17 Plate Astra

-Top of the range Elite Nav model (8 inch screen, heated leather seats, heated steering wheel, heated wheel etc.)

-Parking Sensors being fitted

-10000 Miles

- 1.4 Engine

- 2 year warranty

I think he may just be offended that I didn't ask him first as the whole thing really seems to have got to him. I'd been looking on autotrader for weeks and this seemed like a good deal for this sized car, age, mileage, spec and so on.

Any thoughts out there from people are more expeienced with cars & buying used vehicles? Is it a fair deal?

Edited by Lemmy20 on 17/09/2020 at 08:45

Vauxhall Astra - £11000 for 2017 Astra? - _

Your Choice,

BUT.

Make sure service history is correct. Is it Local to you in case of problems?

On Autotrader there are Venga, Auris, Hyundai I30 ceeds all with 2-4 year remaining warranty. again, check service history..

Yout Astra will be out of manufacturers warranty.

Thanks very much for the response. Much appreciated.

Service history all looked fine and above board with only 1 previous owner.

Yes, the dealership is 30 minutes away and so close enough if anything goes wrong.

I did consider Hyundais and Kias because of their manufacturer warranty. The Astra is out of manufacturer's warranty but the dealership are providing 2 years' warranty.

Thanks again.

Vauxhall Astra - £11000 for 2017 Astra? - catsdad

It seems the going asking price if you put these details into Autotrader. These of course are asking prices, not achieved sales so there is a negotiation possible. Have you also tried HJ pricing tool on the home page tab. That will reassure you.....or not.

ORB advice is good. In general it’s best to go for a car with manufacturer’s approved used warranty rather than third party ones that are likely to be more restricted.

As for your friend he might think in terms of trade prices. Perhaps £8-£9k in this case.

Thanks Catsdad, much appreciated.

I've just tried the HJ tool and it came out as £10750 - £11950 from a dealer. As the £11000 I've agreed with Motorpoint includes 2 year warranty (albeit not as comprehensive as manufacturer's warranty) and fitting of parking sensors, it doesn't seem like a bad deal on that basis.

I think you're right in that he's thinking of trade prices, as he is in the trade after all. Unfortunately my current car is on it's way out and I can't afford to wait around for a ridiculous bargain to land on my lap.

Thanks again for the input.

Vauxhall Astra - £11000 for 2017 Astra? - Bromptonaut

Is it a Vauxhall dealer and sold under their approved used scheme (Network Q?)?

It isn't, it's a Car Supermarket (Motorpoint). What would the possible pitfalls of this be?

So, you are paying for that warranty, Buy it yourself via the HJ website.

Motorpoint are pretty good, have bought a few cars from them.

But get them to service it for you, if the dealisn't already done, AND a fresh MOT.

Thanks again ORB.

I'll definitely take a look at buying the warranty myself via HJ. The dealership's warranty is included in the £11000 price and covers parts, labour, electrical & mechanical issues - seems pretty good but I'll look into it more.

Glad to hear you've had a good experience with Motorpoint.

Great advice - the sale isn't completed yet and so I'll push them to have it serviced etc. before completing.

Cheers!

Vauxhall Astra - £11000 for 2017 Astra? - Chris M

You won't find many Astra fans on here (or anything Vauxhall) but I really like mine. A 1.0 Sri Nav bought a bit over 3 years ago at 9 MTHS old and 12,500m. £11,500 from main dealer but price matched to Motorpoint.

Many on here it appears buy a warranty with the way the car looks and drives being secondary. Their choice. The motoring press have always liked the Astra K.

Have you looked on the Astra K Forum to get a feel for the car's weaknesses? The 1.4s have been known to suffer LSPI and this led to the change in oil spec. to Dexos1 Gen2 from Dexos2. It's essential that Motorpoint use the correct oil if they do the third service, which is only an oil change and tyre kick. LSPI can lead to a wrecked engine, so check the warranty will pay up. The other weakness which comes to mind is the failure of the infotainment (I hate that word) screen. Mine was replaced under warranty at two years. Will your warranty cover that? Worth reading the small print before signing on the dotted line.

I think you'll really like the car. Most on the Astra K Forum do.

The 1.4s have been known to suffer LSPI

That is low speed pre-ignition, a problem with this small gasoline engine from GMC. The MG ZS that uses it has the same problem.

You could also google on the mg-rover.org forum to look at engine problems, but admittedly those are the 1.o litre cars.

And again the 1.4 is better.

If it is what you want, go for it, enjoy, and come back and tell us.

Hi again ORB. Thanks for looking into this and taking the time to post - very much appreciated and lots of useful info & advice.

Any idea if driving style can increase/decrease the chances of this issue occurring? Would high revs at low speed increase the chance, for example (as far as you're aware)?

From what others have posted and what I've seen elsewhere, the right oil can help reduce this issue happening. I know there are lots of people who would avoid Vauxhall engines but my friends & family who have had them have liked them.

I'm going to take on board the advice you and others have given i.e. check the warranty cover with a fine tooth comb, double-check service history, get a service done before completion, ensure right oil used suring service and so on.

I'm less concerneed that I'm overpaying for the car now.

Thanks again and take care.

Thanks Chris, lots of useful info there.

Great to hear there are more people out there who love their Vauxhalls. My gf has a Corsa and loves it (different engine & different car, I know).

I did have a look around at common problems and the LSPI issue did come up a couple of times. I'm not a petrol head at all but from what I read, and from what I take from your comment, the chances of this being an issue are reduced by using the correct oil (Dexos 1 Gen 2, as you've said). I'm going to really push them to do the service prior to completion. Hopefully their mechanics are aware of the oil problem but I'll mention it all the same.

I hadn't heard of the issue with the centre console (avoiding using your favourite word) so that's useful to be aware of. I'll read the fine print of the warranty cover to see what I can find.

I seriously appreciate you taking the time to post. Thanks a lot and I may well check out the Astra K Forum.

Thanks again.

Vauxhall Astra - £11000 for 2017 Astra? - KB.

You can buy a new Dacia Sandero Comfort for £9,000 with a three year warranty. Even extend it to five years for not a lot.

You can buy a new Dacia Sandero Comfort for £9,000 with a three year warranty. Even extend it to five years for not a lot.

Thanks very much for the tip. KB.

I've had a quick snoop online at this car & model and it's not quite my cup of tea, mostly down to not being the right size/class that I'm after. To each their own!

Thanks again.

Lemmy. When fitted to the Astra, it's the 1.4s that suffer the LSPI. Apart from using the correct oil, the other thing is not to labour the engine. In mine I stay in 3rd below 30mph and make sure I give it an Italian tune up where possible. Maybe the 1.4s suffer more in part because of higher gearing, so lower revs. The 1.0 are 5 speed not 6.

As you may already be aware, LSPI can affect many manufacturers of small direct injection turbos.

Edited by Chris M on 17/09/2020 at 17:21

Lemmy. When fitted to the Astra, it's the 1.4s that suffer the LSPI. Apart from using the correct oil, the other thing is not to labour the engine. In mine I stay in 3rd below 30mph and make sure I give it an Italian tune up where possible. Maybe the 1.4s suffer more in part because of higher gearing, so lower revs. The 1.0 are 5 speed not 6.

As you may already be aware, LSPI can affect many manufacturers of small direct injection turbos.

Hi Chris, thanks again.

Yes, that was the gist of what I've been able to find out on the issue. Keep revs down as much as possible and ensure the correct oil is used. Obviously this can't guarantee it won't have issues but I guess it's the luck of the drawer up to a point.

Very much appreciate the input. Thanks!

the other thing is not to labour the engine. In mine I stay in 3rd below 30mph and make sure I give it an Italian tune up where possible. Maybe the 1.4s suffer more in part because of higher gearing, so lower revs. The 1.0 are 5 speed not 6.

Hi Chris, thanks again.

Yes, that was the gist of what I've been able to find out on the issue.

Keep revs down as much as possible and ensure the correct oil is used.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correction..possibly?

Keep gears down, revs up so engine won't labour THIS BIT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously this can't guarantee it won't have issues but I guess it's the luck of the drawer up to a point.

Very much appreciate the input. Thanks!

Exactly ORB.

In mine, 30 in third is just under 2,000 rpm. In fourth it's around 1,600 rpm. The engine gets going at 1,800 rpm where 90% of maximum torque is available. I stay in fourth until 40+mph.

The 1.4 will have different characteristics of course and, as with any car, you adapt driving style to suit.

That all makes sense Chris, thanks!

I'm sure I'll get a feel for it once I'm driving it.

Thanks again!

Once again, thanks ORB.

My mistake. Understood now.

Nice one!

Vauxhall Astra - £11000 for 2017 Astra? - veloceman
Good honest car with good ride and handling.
Though standard 1.4 is very gutless.
You could get a 1.4t for similar money.
Have a look on Autotrader 68 plate 1.4t for £10.994.
Or even a 1.6t with 200 bhp.
Vauxhall Astra - £11000 for 2017 Astra? - S40 Man
Good honest car with good ride and handling. Though standard 1.4 is very gutless. You could get a 1.4t for similar money. Have a look on Autotrader 68 plate 1.4t for £10.994. Or even a 1.6t with 200 bhp.

I have the Astra K with 1.6 turbo just mentioned.I think it's pretty good. The engine has plenty of to end power and Lee end torque. I think the Astra K package is good. Used they are better value than ford focus or other main rivals, with very little compromises needed.

On VX forums reputation is better than 1.4 turbo but I don't know how exegerated these faults are.

Good honest car with good ride and handling. Though standard 1.4 is very gutless. You could get a 1.4t for similar money. Have a look on Autotrader 68 plate 1.4t for £10.994. Or even a 1.6t with 200 bhp.

I have the Astra K with 1.6 turbo just mentioned.I think it's pretty good. The engine has plenty of to end power and Lee end torque. I think the Astra K package is good. Used they are better value than ford focus or other main rivals, with very little compromises needed.

On VX forums reputation is better than 1.4 turbo but I don't know how exegerated these faults are.

Thanks very much S40 Man. Yes, I've seen that the problems tend to occur more with the 1.4s than the 1.6s. One of the meain reasons I was leaning towards the 1.4 is to keep my insurance down. I've only been driving a year and so insurance is still crazy high. I'm doing what I can to keep it down and compared with the 1.6, the 1.4 will save me hundreds of £ over the course of a few years. .

Thanks very much for the reply and the feedback on the Astra K. Much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, veloceman. It's good to hear more positive feedback on the Astra.

I made the mistake of leaving out 'turbo' in my original post. The one I'm looking at is a 1.4t, thankfully.

All in all I'm happy enough that I'm not getting completely ripped off. My neighbour is probably just p***ed off that I didn't ask his opinion first.

Thanks again.