Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - BPL

Looking for a car for me 6'4" and OH to share. Weekly 120 return drives 50% motorway 25% A road 25% twisty B road and some local runarounds. Both have spine issues hence the initial choice as the taxis we've been in were fantastic.. I liked the look of the L&K 4x4 2.0 TSI but seem to be very hard to get hold of in NI & I guess has the DSG issues. Any of you wise people got an alternative. ps not keen on low profile tyres or reliability heaadaches. I would love 6 cylinders+ really oh & I may need to tow a small boat. TIA

Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - pd

Well, they do/did do a 6 cylinder Superb if you really want that and can find one...

Not sure about the DSG "issue". It suits the car very well. Are you looking new or used?

Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - Falkirk Bairn

Volvo V60CC & V90CC 4WD Estate

Volvo V60 V90 Petrol & Diesel - 2WD Estate

Petrol & Diesel saloons & Estates are on clearance as they move to hybrid only range

Depends on your budget

Well, they do/did do a 6 cylinder Superb if you really want that and can find one...

Not sure about the DSG "issue". It suits the car very well. Are you looking new or used?

I thought HJ frequently mentioned issues with VAG DSG boxes? It's hard enough finding a petrol Superb let alone the old V6. Probably 0-3 years old depending on price, spec, condition and availability..

Edited by Peter, NI on 14/09/2020 at 15:08

Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - pd

Some very early DSG boxes had some teething issues but that was 17 years ago. There was also some issues 10 or more years ago on the unit used in smaller engines but I wouldn't have too many worries about a 0-3 year old car.

The manual box is nice enough but I'd recommend trying the DSG as it suits the relaxed nature of the car.

Some very early DSG boxes had some teething issues but that was 17 years ago. There was also some issues 10 or more years ago on the unit used in smaller engines but I wouldn't have too many worries about a 0-3 year old car.

The manual box is nice enough but I'd recommend trying the DSG as it suits the relaxed nature of the car.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/150042/are-volks...e-

Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - Metropolis.
How about one of these?

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200704085...1
Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - concrete

From the point of view of interior space you will not be disappointed. My Superb was a saloon but the estate has the same seating arrangement. When my youngest son was at home and playing rugby I used to transport him and a few team-mates to and from matches. Three 6'5" strapping 18 year olds in the back and they could have a dance! There was always a jostle to ride with me because word got around about the available room and comfortable ride. Mine was diesel and manual so I can't comment about petrol or DSG models. Mine was an Elegance and had just about every gizmo one could wish for, and the leather seats were easy to clean too. The best feature by far was the drivers seat memory. After SWMBO had driven it I could not even get my legs in, so the automatic return to my settings was a real god sent. Good luck in finding a suitable car.

Cheers Concrete

Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - badbusdriver

Is this car instead of or as well as the convertible you have been looking for?. I'm wondering because a low slung two seat sports car/convertible would seem an odd choice (to me anyway) for someone 6'4" with spine issues?.

Also, to clarify, are you looking for manual or auto?. Again, previous threads suggest you want manual.

One last important point, what budget are you aiming at?.

As for which cars are most comfortable?, this can vary quite a lot on a particular model of car depending on spec. German cars probably more so than most, as most buyers want the huge wheels with ultra low profile tyres for the looks and never mind the ride!.

Thats left of field - I do like boxers, drove an Impreza WRX with the water injection once. I wonder how reliable? a big cam belt or are there 2? - I see 10secs 0-60 and 33mpg must be a heavy brute

Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - daveyjp

From my experience Subaru reliability isn't an issue, 5 year warranty on the expensive items

Cambelts are every 100,000 miles. 0-60 is what it is. In reality its just a figure, once rolling it means nothing as it will bowl along with no fuss.

Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - Big John

I'm 6'4" as well with back issues and have a Superb mk II and love it. The great "big" thing for me is the bigger size of the front door. In many other cars the B pillar is just too far forward when I've got my seat in the position my chiropractor recommends. My elbow also ends up banging into the B pillar. I also can have issues with my knee position and some clutch foot rests are a real pain - literally!!

In the Superb I've managed to find the perfect driving position - however because there is sooo much adjustment of everything it did take me a little while to find this when I bought the car 5 years ago. If you test drive spend some time trying to find the correct position of everything - the key for me was adjusting the steering wheel further back(away from me), which for me initially seemed counter intuitive.

The DSG is much better with the bigger engine versions but unless you really know the service history I’d avoid 4x4 versions as this can be critical and expensive to sort if not. Mine is just a manual 1.4tsi poverty spec. I didn’t really want a diesel, which was unusual in early 2015 (pre diesel gate) but I still needed to keep economy sensible as I do (well did pre covid!) a high-ish mileage with my commute. The one thing with the S model though it doesn't have low profile tyres! The facelift still has some toys such as steering wheel controls, cruise control, bluetooth & primative voice control. To slightly keep upto date with technology and compensate for my poverty spec I've combined my phone with an Amazon Echo Auto so I can get Alexa to control my music and navigation.

For towing a big boat with DSG - the more poweful diesels probably best.

Edited by Big John on 15/09/2020 at 22:12

Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - Alby Back
Well, here's a thing, my good friend and neighbour is one of the ( very ) senior managers at Bentley. He has a doctorate in engineering and has spent his whole working life in the motor manufacturing industry worldwide.

At Bentley, he can have pretty much any VAG group car as his company car, and they get changed very regularly, so he could mix up his choices if he wanted.

But, he always asks for a top spec Superb estate. Really rates them. Says he sees no point in having an Audi or VW equivalent because it's not giving him more car, and the tax implications of those as a company car would be higher.

So, as a horse's mouth recommendation it's hard to find a more inside track view.

However, he does like my car too, and has occasionally commented that he wished they also made E Class estates...

;-)
Skoda Superb Estate? - Big comfortable petrol car - concrete

But, he always asks for a top spec Superb estate. Really rates them. Says he sees no point in having an Audi or VW equivalent because it's not giving him more car, and the tax implications of those as a company car would be higher.

I removed myself from the company car scheme which gave me better tax breaks and more choice. A double win for me. The main factor in the pecking order for company cars is the list price. So your salary/position in the company dictates your maximum allowance for a car. Sometimes you can add to this by contributing for a higher spec but I never saw the point in that. The main factor for BIK tax is the emissions. Being VAG the engine range is pretty standard across the range so whatever engine he chooses the emissions will be the same for Audi/VW/ Seat and Skoda. The real bonus comes from the his allowance, it will go further on a Skoda than an Audi for the same money. Top spec Skoda or mid spec Audi?? Choices, choices. In any event I would do exactly what your friend is doing too.

Cheers Concrete