Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - Andrew JJ

My wife bought a 2nd hand Toyota recently.
When driving it at low speed or in slow moving traffic it locks the brakes almost just by looking at the pedal.
I only have to press a little for them to come on fully I can't seem to be able to press and have the car slow down properly it's all or nothing. It is really annoying I depress the pedal by an inch and its OK but not enough to stop the car, then a few mm more and they 'slam' on like I've really 'stepped on the brakes' so a really jerky ride, and she hates it and makes her sick.
I've never had this before in any car I've owned and I've had a few in my life but none as new as this one Anyone got any ideas as to what it might be?
thanks

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - elekie&a/c doctor
Is this a hybrid model?
Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - daveyjp

"2nd handk" doesn't give any clues as to how old it is.

Edited by daveyjp on 03/09/2020 at 19:57

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - blindspot

check for sticking pads

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - edlithgow

From your description possible explanations might include, but are not limited to

(a) Sticktion preventing initial movement of brake pads, which then is overcome by increased hydraulic pressure, producing delayed hard braking.

(b) a small amount of air in the system, which is compressed to the point where brake pad movement happens, and then expands, producing sudden hard braking.

(c) Both

I;d favour (a) as an explanation. This might be fixed by progressive cleaning of your braking system, starting with the sliders the pads move on, then progressing to the caliper pins. Crumpled aluminium foil is a good cleaning medium.

I'd guess the questions about hybrids might imply some regenerative braking involvement, though I didn't think (no experience or detailed knowledge) RG was effective at the slow speeds you describe.

Similarly, peoples insistence on knowing the age of your car might imply the involvement of some new gimmickry and/or known generic fault that I'm not familiar with, otherwise I can't see why it matters.

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - madf

Sounds to me like pads sticking in calipers due to lack of maintenance.

Strip down, clean , grease where applicable.

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - Big John

Check all the brakes - as well as front desc brakes sticking (probably) this could also be the rear drums (presuming it has drums?) as if worn the leading shoes can cause some issues. By the sounds of if a full front/rear wheels off brake service is required - get the brake fluid replaced as well.

[EDIT] To possibly clarify :- The leading shoe is pressed in the same direction as the rotation of the drums, and this rotation helps to press the shoes against the drum with greater pressure for stronger braking force - if drum/shoes are worn this can be a bit "snappy". It's been many a year since I've had to set up drum brakes so my memory is fading a little.

Edited by Big John on 04/09/2020 at 22:45

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - bathtub tom

Until the OP comes back and tells us if it's a hybrid or not, we're all peeing in the wind.

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - Big John

Until the OP comes back and tells us if it's a hybrid or not, we're all peeing in the wind.

Well that would be a different sort of hydraulics!

However agreed - if a hybrid then if it's the first one you've drive they can take a bit of getting used to. Suddenly realised the OP mentioned " but none as new as this one" so presumably this is a newish car so less likely to have worn/sticky brakes. Saying that post lockdown anything is possible - my wife's Fiat Panda sulked a lot afterwards!

Edited by Big John on 04/09/2020 at 23:03

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - edlithgow

Suddenly realised the OP mentioned " but none as new as this one" so presumably this is a newish car...

Depends.

I could say that currently about a 1997 Honda Accord (with liquid rust as brake fluid). Probably have.

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - Andrew JJ

hey thanks people for the info sorry I didnt get back sooner I lost the link to the page till now
The car is about 12 years old
@Big John @madf @edlithgow @blindspot cheers
Useful info on what the problem might be as was doubting myself over what it was or just my imagination and I'm not a mechanic I'll ask her to ask when next serviced
Thanks again

Toyota Yaris - sticky/locking brakes - Andrew-T

hey thanks people for the info sorry I didnt get back sooner I lost the link to the page till now
The car is about 12 years old

Maybe the car had just been sitting around for a while doing nothing ?