2019 Suzuki S-Cross - Rear Window Shattering for No Apparent Reason - Coopster

The rear window on my S-Cross shattered after parking the car and I cannot fathom the reason for it to fail. The boot door was shut and with a loud bang the window collapsed in at either end where the glass curves over the door, and then most of the rest of the window fell in. The bang was so loud it brought people out of the school where I was dropping my children – the children were frozen with fear as they were in the car. I wondered if any others have experienced the same issue as there was no damage that I was aware of to the window and it was bizarre that the window shattering appeared to simultaneously start at the same instant at both ends. Suzuki UK have refused to repair the window under warranty as they do not believe it was faulty.

2019 Suzuki S-Cross - Rear Window Shattering for No Apparent Reason - Bolt

The rear window on my S-Cross shattered after parking the car and I cannot fathom the reason for it to fail. The boot door was shut and with a loud bang the window collapsed in at either end where the glass curves over the door, and then most of the rest of the window fell in. The bang was so loud it brought people out of the school where I was dropping my children – the children were frozen with fear as they were in the car. I wondered if any others have experienced the same issue as there was no damage that I was aware of to the window and it was bizarre that the window shattering appeared to simultaneously start at the same instant at both ends. Suzuki UK have refused to repair the window under warranty as they do not believe it was faulty.

This may not be anything to do with it but worth checking, as I have come across this before on Fords, the window mounting may have welds or just one that was touching the glass after fitting, that causes it to scratch then shatter the glass, I don`t know the motor so its just a thought and someone else may know about it, but imo its a possible cause...

2019 Suzuki S-Cross - Rear Window Shattering for No Apparent Reason - bathtub tom

Colleague lost a rear window to a passing vehicle picking up a stone (so he told his insurance). Another poured hot water on a cold day. I lost one after driving into a grass field parking area and presume the body twisting was responsible.

2019 Suzuki S-Cross - Rear Window Shattering for No Apparent Reason - Andrew-T

The tailgate (presumably?) was clearly under strain, possibly caused by heat ? If you know of no reason why strain should be present, it must have been there for some time. I assume this screen is bonded, so should be free of strain.

I remember many years ago hearing a tale about windscreens popping out of Vauxhalls when they were jacked, but that was before bonding became the norm.

2019 Suzuki S-Cross - Rear Window Shattering for No Apparent Reason - Metropolis.
One (of several) reasons why I prefer body on frame construction, let the chassis take the strain and do the flexing, body unaffected!

The tailgate (presumably?) was clearly under strain, possibly caused by heat

more likely a possible bad weld or slight twist in metal the window was bonded to, touching the metal, only way to find out is strip bonding away to see if any imperfections in the mounting surface, they are designed to be under strain without breaking

If it is that -that caused it, it could happen again! imo.

2019 Suzuki S-Cross - Rear Window Shattering for No Apparent Reason - Andrew-T

more likely a possible bad weld or slight twist in metal the window was bonded to, touching the metal, only way to find out is strip bonding away to see if any imperfections in the mounting surface, they are designed to be under strain without breaking

On first principles I would have thought that any twist present at manufacture would be exceeded by flexing in normal use, which presumably the tailgate would absorb ? And how rigid is the bonding material - it must be slightly flexible ?

which presumably the tailgate would absorb

Tailgate glass still flexes with any movement of TG, but held in place by the bonding,

my point was on some Fords the glass was pushed in place to spread the bonding, but because they were pushed too close to the metal, and if the welding had defects, or metal was slightly bent, any movement caused rubbing of glass to metal, and sometimes took years -depending on motor use before the screen gave out

Similar effect to Gorilla glass you can flex it and drop it so many times before it breaks completely, though with Car glass it shatters where Gorilla glass just breaks into larger pieces.

I think Ford made the bonding slightly thicker to get over the problem, though not certain of that?