Just driven over a fence post at speed.. - SkyMan
Hi There,

On the way to work this morning managed to drive over a fence post that was lying on the road. Hit it at 100kph with the front left wheel, but not the back.

When I reached a stretch of really smooth tarmac and going at 70kph I can feel a \"roughness\" through the steering wheel, in tune with the wheel rotations.

I\'ve checked the wheel at work and there\'s no visible damage to the tyre or the outside of the alloy, which still has its outer balance weight on.

I can\'t check to see if there\'s supposed to be an inner balance weight, and if its there or not.

Would getting the alignment / balance done cure the problem or have I damaged the structure of the tyre? Have I screwed up the wheel geometry and landed myself a big bill?

The car is RWD with PAS, 205/60 tyres

TIA

Dorian.
Just driven over a fence post at speed.. - Armitage Shanks{P}
It is possible that you have done internal damage to the structure of the tyre, invisible from the outside. Probably best to have it taken off the rim and examined!
Just driven over a fence post at speed.. - martint123
Put your spare on and see if it improves.

I hit a brick at 60 and it just shattered the tyre - I think rubber is a bit like that 'silly putty' where it's rubbery if squeezed but shatters if hit.

If you do lots of miles at speed, then I'd play safe and get the alignment checked as well - that is quite an impact.
Unfortunately the spare is one of those poxy space savers. I'm taking the car to the local Beaurepaires (NZ version of Kwikfit) this lunchtime.

When you say "shattered the tyre" do you mean that externally it looked OK but internally it was stuffed?
Just driven over a fence post at speed.. - Dynamic Dave
Unfortunately the spare is one of those poxy space savers.

In that case swap the suspect front tyre for one of the rears and see if the problem also follows suit.
Hi there,

Just been to the tyre fitters - I've managed to bend the alloy slightly on the inside rim. All I've got to do now is find a replacement genuine Nissan Skyline alloy (Nissan want NZ$900 for one!!!)

Thanks for the replies...
Just driven over a fence post at speed.. - martint123
'shattered the tyre' meant breaking into big chunks - not like slits or cracks... I'd worry that it could happen to the inside of the tyre.

If a new wheel is 900$ then I'd seriously enquire about the feasability of a repair - they can do good jobs now with crack testing chemicals - not so many cowboys about.
The alloy is now in the garage's hands who will send it to one of the four alloy wheel repairers in the country(!).

For now I've borrowed a spare from a workmate, unfortunately its a 195/60 whilst mine are 205/60. Makes the handling interesting...

I've asked two tyre fitters if the tyre could have been damaged and both of them said "no damage, theres no bulging on the sidewall". Doesn't sound very scientific to me, and as I like to give my car a bit of curry every now and then I reckon two new tyres will be required soon - at NZ$200 a piece :(