Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Tester

We have a couple of holidays booked (well - you have to be optimistic, eh?!) in Crete, where I'll want to hire a car. That's not an experience I've had for a while and I would like to take out extra insurance to cover the astronomical damage excesses before travelling. Does anyone have experience with these policies, particularly their willingness to pay out? Is there much to choose between different providers?

Any other thoughts about car hire in this part of Greece? We'll be using Chania airport.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - daveyjp

I have used Zest in their previous guise of economycarhire.

They are a UK based broker with all insurances included, including excess and collision damage waiver. Our hire car was damaged by a local driving into the door. We reported it, dropped the car off at the end of the holiday and never heard anything further.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Andrew-T

I've not driven in Greece, but when we visited Crete about 20 years ago we 'enjoyed' a few taxi rides. I think the drivers liked to hurtle along the then-new M-ways - the speedos on some of the cars couldn't keep up, showing 100k when the car was actually doing 130 (confirmed by the companion vehicle). So prepare for Mediterranean driving habits.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - bazza

We have used a UK based insurer, can't remember the name but it might have been economy car hire, anyway our hire car was damaged by a 3rd party, we had to pay 300 Euro at the car hire depot in malaga, then claim it back. There were various hoops to jump through but eventually got it back. I remember thinking I wish I'd taken out the hire company collision waver but I think on the whole it was a cheaper way, if not hassle free.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - S40 Man

I like driving in Crete, there are some pretty epic roads, especially in the mountains. The A road equivalents are generally well made up and traffic flows quite freely. In the summer a good proportion of the cars are foreigners in hire cars. Some locals expect you to move into the shoulder, which is effectively a lane to use, so they can overtake. That can have bad surface so watch out of you do that. Towns can have narrow roads so watch out for pedestrians.

Obvs the cars are LHD which helps with wrong side of the road driving. Just don't bang your arm on the door when changing gear! I do that really frequently.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Cris_on_the_gas

I have used Zest car hire as previous post states they have zero excess on their hires. If not then best to take out car hire excess insurance in UK before jetting off. You can get a European annual policy for about £40 or less if you can be bothered to shop around. Not going to recommend any as might get accused of advertising but just ask Mr Google for car hire excess Insurance.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Bilboman

I'd agree with all comments posted so far. Badly made roads and even worse hard shoulders, but a beautiful island to explore, from the Minoan ruins at Knossos to the heart-wrenching monument at Kondomari and of course beautiful beaches.
Get a flavour of Crete from the 1970s series Who Pays the Ferryman and the Lotus Eaters - all the episodes are on YouTube, a bit grainy but great drama. The roads haven't changed much since then!
Very good experience of car hire in Crete from 2013 (I've forgotten the name of the hire firm.) There was a good range of hire cars of all levels, not just the small basic (but far from cheap) runabouts common on other islands. I always click one or two categories up from the very cheapest (like ordering wine from the list!) and was pleasantly surprised to end up with a Focus Ghia, with velour bucket seats and directionally swivelling main beams, brilliant for mountain roads!
One car hire excess insurer has whacked its prices up this year, but I scavenged around and found an annual policy elsewhere for €41.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Brit_in_Germany

Bilboman, if you are referring to insurance4carhire, I just had a quote from them with the premium having seemingly rocketed. I looked into the price and it seems for UK residents the premium is still reasonable but for those living abroad the price increases the further you are from Dover. Why they believe this is a good business model is beyond me but after 10 years or so, I too will not be using them again.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Middleman

I get an annual policy most years from Questor. Fortunately didn't renew this year before my June holiday was cancelled. Cost me about £40 last year. Covers everything that the car hire insurance does not. Had a claim for a wrecked tyre two or three years ago. Had to pay for the repairs whilst I was on holiday but was reimbursed in full by Questor about ten days after returning.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Bilboman

@Brit_in_Germany I4CH is indeed the company I used to go with, but a steep price hike this year has ended that. I'm guessing that Brexit has something to do with this general opportunistic price gouging, but I fail to see why a British resident in Spain with 30 years' driving experience in Spain (i.e. driving LHD cars on the right) is now considered a worse risk on a European holiday than a British driver with potentially zero experience of driving on the right!
One downside to the excess insurance "dodge", of course, is the huge credit card "security" loading. I've habitually seen as much as €1000 blocked on my credit card at the car hire desk, which was generously lowered to only €750 on one occasion, after my one and only claim, having been rear-ended at a roundabout. The repairs to a cracked bumper came to precisely €756, so I did eventually lose €6 on the deal!

Many thanks to everyone for the interesting and valuable replies so far; it makes fascinating reading!

Zest looks like a good shout and I'll probably go with them, since they seem to offer good prices from a range of providers. The cheapest provider, through Zest and others, seems to be 'Carwiz', which sounds a bit dodgy and has mildly discouraging reviews -- does anyone have direct experience of them?

Once again, thanks for your time in replying.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - concrete

I used to use Insurance4carhire and Insurance4excess. Only used it Europe though and it worked a treat. Stopped the 'upsell' of expensive insurance extras but luckily never had a claim for damage to a hire car, but I did reclaim my excess when SWMBO decided to take on a bollard at Sainsburys' and took out the two doors on the off side. The claim was about £1800 so I put it through the insurance and reclaimed my excess. Pity if they have become uncompetitive they were good to deal with.

Cheers Concrete

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - _

I don't think that £47 for year with insurance4car hire is excessive!

Yes, it is more expensive buying 10 or so days single trip.. but...

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Brit_in_Germany

As I wrote, the prices for I4CH look OK for UK residents - the issue is that they have jacked up the prices for those resident in other countries. Since the only need I have for a hire car is when I visit the UK, this is not a policy I am prepared to accept.

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - LittleGreyCat

As others have said, Insurance4CarHire have been good in the past.

We generally use them when we travel, and had cover for a trip to NZ which covered the gravel roads as well as tarmac.

Claimed once, annual policy, when a hire car was damaged in Glasgow (still not sure if it was when we had the car or when it was waiting for pick up) and no problems with the claim.

I haven't priced them recently because where can we go? Certainly not NZ or Oz.

It is well worth having this cover if you are hiring for more than a few days a year because the excess waiver from the hire companies is daylight robbery!

Edit: we have been to Crete and Cyprus, amongst other places, and didn't have any problems with the traffic and the locals. YMMV, of course. Holiday destinations tend to be aware of tourists and be generous to them. :-)

Edited by LittleGreyCat on 13/07/2020 at 19:58

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Steveieb

Zest every time. Ran into trouble with a hirer in Cyprus. Rang Zest who sorted it immediately .

Thats what you need . Help from the UK

Any - Insurance for Hire Cars - Smileyman

I used one of these insurance companies two years ago when went to Iceland to top up local cover which was very expensive and had gaps in cover eg the car hire insurance policy didn't cover the underside of the car (not for off road driving, but car parks and other normal driving instances) - the premium was so cheap that it was silly not to purchase the top up cover.

When I retuned the car I was told there was a new mark on the bodywork, in my view it was a fishing exercise, luckily I'd taken extensive photos of the car at pickup and the marks were present on these pre-departure photos. Sorry, no claims experience, but useful suggestion in avoiding a bad experience.

Thanks, that is a good warning. I shall take pictures of anything that I can see, and probably walk around the car while videoing, too! Trying to tread the line between sensible precautions and paranoia here ...

Going by the replies above I shall book with Zest this week, possibly just in time for the trip to be cancelled but currently still proceeding as if it will happen!