2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI - Dipstick Plugged Shut & Missing - Hairoil

Alright folks, hope I've got the right sub-forum?!

I was up looking at an 2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI earlier with a mate that works as a mechanic for Audi.

He gave me the all clear on the car: no codes appeared, new engine, clutch and timing chain etc. Aside from a small bit of bubbling from the Manifold that he thinks is just a result of it not being tightened enough when the engine was put back together, all looks good!

BUT.... we noticed that the oil dipstick was missing and had been plugged with a rubber sealant that we couldn’t remove. He said he’d never seen this before and we couldn’t figure out why this would be done ??

Does anyone have any experience with this or why it would have been done/what it’s trying to hide.

Edited by Hairoil on 12/06/2020 at 19:48

2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI - Dipstick Plugged Shut & Missing - Andrew-T

Some dipsticks deteriorate with age. Perhaps the knob came off the stem which then went down the pipe? Should be possible to get a replacement, but maybe harder to extract the stem. The sealant probably there to seal the crankcase.

The car probably has a dash indication of oil level, so if you are happy with that the missing stick may not matter too much. I would sort it if it were mine.

2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI - Dipstick Plugged Shut & Missing - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks like too much (bad) history attached to this car. If it has had a new/other engine ,why wouldn't you fix the dipstick problem? its a lot easier to do with the engine out. If this is the twin charge engine ,I would swerve this big time.

2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI - Dipstick Plugged Shut & Missing - RT

Increasingly, cars are no longer fitted with engine dipsticks, specifically VW Group engines - they rely on an electronic sensor in the sump.

Some engines can have the plug removed and buy a dipstick from a VW Group dealer but calibration needs to be done carefully.

My 2015 Touareg with the 3.0 TDI shared with Audi and Porsche has no engine dipstick, just the electronic sensor - that's fine when it's working but what happens when it fails.

It's an '09 and it's supposed to have a dipstick.

Guy selling said he's going going to speak to his mechanic and let me know why it was plugged (whether I get the truth or not os a different story)

My biggest concern is; if i can't check the dipstick, what problems could I be missing? Cloudy oil etc.?

Cheers

2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI - Dipstick Plugged Shut & Missing - Andrew-T

My biggest concern is; if i can't check the dipstick, what problems could I be missing? Cloudy oil etc.?

While I realise that most 'modern' cars do an oil-level check on start-up, I would much prefer to be able to look at the condition of the oil without having to run some out of the sump.

You're as skeptical as I am but my mate who works for Audi and knows about cars more than I do; gave me the all clear!?

I think only some of these models are twin charged, is there anyway to tell? Couldn't find much online!

Cheers

2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI - Dipstick Plugged Shut & Missing - elekie&a/c doctor
If your friend works for Audi , then it should be very obvious to him as to whether it’s a twin charge engine . Perhaps he’s never seen one? Not many made due to continued engine problems .

I didn't ask him at the time and I don't want to pester him over the weekend so was trying to suss it out myself. Think I'm just going to pass on this car anyway!

2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI - Dipstick Plugged Shut & Missing - edlithgow

Bubbling from which manifold?

May of course be unconnected, but I've heard of faults (can't remember which, maybe head gasket or excessive blowby or clogged crankcase ventilation or valve guides or?) causing crankcase pressurisation which blows the dipstick out.

Could this be a workaround to or attempt to hide such a problem?

EDIT: I suppose a cracked block could do it too.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/06/2020 at 03:16

2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI - Dipstick Plugged Shut & Missing - mcb100
Does the dipstick tube bolt on to the block, or is it integral to the casting? If it removable, a couple of 10mm bolts will have it removed.
So far as how do you tell if it’s twin charged - if it is it’ll have a turbo and a belt driven supercharger.
2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI - Dipstick Plugged Shut & Missing - John F

Aside from a small bit of bubbling from the Manifold that he thinks is just a result of it not being tightened enough when the engine was put back together......

Run a mile. Find another.