Cooper S - Air Con on R56 Cooper S - Jungerns

As a female am bit wary of asking on Cooper groups about mechanicals as they get very heated assuming we're all thick. On this forum you've always been helpful and polite so will post it here.......I have a R56 Cooper S. Now the air con has never been that cold albeit perfectly acceptable to me. I've only had this car 16 months so it might need a regas anyway ??

However leaving that aside when activating the air con its make the engine note rise considerably. At normal speed its not noticeable but stopping at junctions very much so (compared to before)

Is there a connection between maybe needing that regas and increased engine noise. When aircon is off the engine note is perfectly normal as usual

Thanks

Edited by Jungerns on 30/05/2020 at 06:06

Cooper S - Air Con on R56 Cooper S - gordonbennet

Perectly normal for the revs to rise slightly when the aircon compressor engages (usually with an audible click from the engine bay), nothing to worry about.

Yes it might need a regas at some point, but if its working well enough at the moment and there's a company locally likely to offer a discount for airon recharging out of season, might be an idea to get it done then...its what i'm planning with the family Forester, airon works but not especially cold, so will get it recharged if and when i spot a special offer...cheapest i've found so far is the local to me Formula One Fast Fit Autocentre, but that was last year for another car and prices may have changed since.

Perectly normal for the revs to rise slightly when the aircon compressor engages (usually with an audible click from the engine bay), nothing to worry about.

Yes it might need a regas at some point, but if its working well enough at the moment and there's a company locally likely to offer a discount for airon recharging out of season, might be an idea to get it done then...its what i'm planning with the family Forester, airon works but not especially cold, so will get it recharged if and when i spot a special offer...cheapest i've found so far is the local to me Formula One Fast Fit Autocentre, but that was last year for another car and prices may have changed since.

Yes but what I'm saying is the engine noise has got noticeable louder as opposed to 1 month ago on idle with air con activated

Yes I get the "click" as per normal I acknowledge

Cooper S - Air Con on R56 Cooper S - jc2

Not only will the engine revs increase but on most vehicles,the rad fan will cut in.

Cooper S - Air Con on R56 Cooper S - Brit_in_Germany

The load the aircon puts on the engine is to some extent controlled by the infrared sensor on the dash so the engine could well have to work harder now compared with a month ago.

Cooper S - Air Con on R56 Cooper S - elekie&a/c doctor
Having owned a Cooper, I never found the ac system particularly effective. My old Focus is a far more powerful system and will blow you hair off when set to maximum. I would suggest you get ac system tested and checked for gas charge quantity. My experience with the gen 2 Minis is that they are always out or low on gas . Cars with climate control control will have an in car temp sensor and a solar sensor in the cabin , but this is not going to make any difference to your problem. The cooling fan only operates when required.
Cooper S - Air Con on R56 Cooper S - madf

Yes but what I'm saying is the engine noise has got noticeable louder as opposed to 1 month ago on idle with air con activated

It is SUMMER and 20C+.

A month ago it was Spring and 15C-17C

So the aircon is now doing some work to cool teh car - which also is being heated up by the sun.

It is SUMMER and 20C+.

A month ago it was Spring and 15C-17C

So the aircon is now doing some work to cool teh car - which also is being heated up by the sun.

No....it was a fault with the compressor. Brother took it to his "friendly" garage for me. We've got the part number and garage guy said he can supply new and fit or suggested would be lot cheaper to get areconditioned unit and they'll fit if we wanted them to

I was 95% sure it wasn't coolant, gas or anything temperture related outside but I appreciate forum members are not hearing the car running

Thanks to all that responded