Hybrids and Starting Trouble - Bromptonaut

In current scenario folks in our road are using their cars far less than normal.

One neighbour intended to go shopping last week found his 18 month old Toyota Hybrid wouldn't start. The AA came out and jump started it and he took it up to M16/19 and back. Turned out another neighbour had experienced similar issue with a 2yo Kia PHEV.

Further chit/chat during our socially distanced VE day drinks elicited fact that somebody else's (now gone) Lexus had also had same problem. IIRC he is an engineer; he certainly does most of his own car maintenance. His comment on the street's 'Whatsapp' is the really annoying thing about hybrids is they won’t fire up unless there is enough power in the normal 12v battery, even though you have a racking great big battery in the back.

Any one care to comment or add their own experience?

As a footnote I took my own bog standard petrol Fabia out this morning for first time in a fortnight with very limited use in preceding month. It flashed up a warning that battery was low and that I should charge it up by driving.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/05/2020 at 20:25

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - mcintosh

I think most hybrids work like this - the 12V battery isn’t charged unless the hybrid system is fully on (i.e. like a petrol car idling). My Toyota Auris is like this and I take care to keep the 12V battery charged as you would in a petrol car. It was reading the Auris owners’ forum that drew it to my attention - it’s mentioned in the manual but it’s not exactly highlighted, so I can understand it might catch people out.

To complicate matters, the 12v battery in the Auris is smaller than usual, the logic being that it doesn’t need to power a starter motor (the hybrid system cranks the petrol engine) and it saves space.

[EDIT - I’m talking nonsense here about the IONIQ - apologies - see my reply below ]Only hybrid I’ve heard of that works as people might expect is the Hyundai IONIQ - apparently they’ve dispensed with a 12V battery and the hybrid battery provides the required power, so there’s much less risk of a flat battery.

Edited by mcintosh on 11/05/2020 at 23:57

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - Avant

Interesting, as there must be a lot of elderly people who have moved from diesels to hybrids to do their short journeys. There could be some attempted resurrections when the garden centres reopen (they're about to in Wales, although Boris, who has possibly never been to one, has said nothing about them in England).

My wife's sister had a similar problem with an Auris hybrid a few years ago: but that's a 12-registered car and I thought there had been a modification since then which had solved the problem, which was something about a slow discharge of the 12v 'starting battery' when the car was idle.

The 12v battery seems to be the weak link. Possibly whatever charges it in normal driving isn't as effective as the good old alternator?

(Edit - I was posting at the same time as Mcintosh, who has an answer that makes sense. Anyone know if all Hyundai and Kia hybrids use the same system?)

Edited by Avant on 11/05/2020 at 23:37

I’ve never had a problem with my 14 plate Auris so they must have fixed in production or a recall. That said, longest I’ve ever left it undriven is a week and I deactivate the keyless entry system if the car is not being used much, as at present.

Apologies, I was wrong about the IONiQ - it has a 12v Li ion battery which is charged by the hybrid system when driving and, crucially, a button you can press to charge the 12 V battery off the hybrid battery if the 12v is out of juice. See here for more info: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15341302/how-the-hyundai-ioniq-ditched-its-traditional-12v-lead-acid-starter-battery/

Sorry, shouldn’t rely on my faulty memory.

Edited by mcintosh on 12/05/2020 at 00:01

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - gordonbennet

Amazing really, the brains dedication know how and millions of miles and hours of testing that must have gone into making their hybrids leaders (so far) in their field, yet Toyota engineers missed this now blindingly obvious fault, maybe the engineer's answer to this lack of enough typical use issue was overruled.

Amazing really, the brains dedication know how and millions of miles and hours of testing that must have gone into making their hybrids leaders (so far) in their field, yet Toyota engineers missed this now blindingly obvious fault, maybe the engineer's answer to this lack of enough typical use issue was overruled.

I can understand it might be a bit complicated on a car like the Auris which was originally petrol or diesel-engined, but the Prius has the same issue. I suspect it’s down to saving a few quid. It’s a bit like the lack of spare wheels nowadays - a small convenience for the manufacturer but potentially a large inconvenience for the owner.

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - London calling

I have a Lexus NX300h hybrid that was left for 3-4 weeks last year without being started and had no problems starting.

I would have thought (guessing here) while driving if the cars ICU detected the 12 volt battery needed charging the ICE would cut in until charged.

I have a Lexus NX300h hybrid that was left for 3-4 weeks last year without being started and had no problems starting.

I would have thought (guessing here) while driving if the cars ICU detected the 12 volt battery needed charging the ICE would cut in until charged.

Yep. In fact, you don't even need the petrol engine running so long as there is sufficient charge in the hybrid battery. The petrol engine will cut in if the hybrid battery is running low.

The stop-start system on the Auris is meant to deactivate if the 12V battery gets low so I probably don't actually need to actually deactivate it manually, but I like to play it safe.

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - galileo

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 12/05/2020 at 11:45

Interesting, as there must be a lot of elderly people who have moved from diesels to hybrids to do their short journeys. There could be some attempted resurrections when the garden centres reopen (they're about to in Wales, although Boris, who has possibly never been to one, has said nothing about them in England).

My wife's sister had a similar problem with an Auris hybrid a few years ago: but that's a 12-registered car and I thought there had been a modification since then which had solved the problem, which was something about a slow discharge of the 12v 'starting battery' when the car was idle.

The 12v battery seems to be the weak link. Possibly whatever charges it in normal driving isn't as effective as the good old alternator?

(Edit - I was posting at the same time as Mcint***, who has an answer that makes sense. Anyone know if all Hyundai and Kia hybrids use the same system?)

Hyundai manufacture lots of electrical products, fan heaters, toasters, kettles and batteries, so may well have more experience and foresight than other car makers.

Hyundai manufacture lots of electrical products, fan heaters, toasters, kettles and batteries, so may well have more experience and foresight than other car makers.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. According to the link I posted earlier the Kia Niro uses similar battery hardware so it may find its way to all Kia/Hyundai hybrids eventually. Certainly a useful feature to have.

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - alan1302

(Edit - I was posting at the same time as Mcint***, who has an answer that makes sense. Anyone know if all Hyundai and Kia hybrids use the same system?)

Except Hyundai don't do consumer electronics anymore...they just licence out their brand name.

Except Hyundai don't do consumer electronics anymore...they just licence out their brand name.

Exactly why they would take an interest n the design and quality control standards of the licensee, given the potential damage to their brand of dud products

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - alan1302

ake an interest n the design and quality control standards of the licensee, given the potential damage to their brand of dud products

It will be up to the licensee to ensure the standards are kept up...Hyundai would have no involvement - why would they as a car company it's not something that have knowledge in.

I expect the licensee won't make the items either as they will be farmed out to 3rd part companies. Many home electronic companies have 3rd parties make a lot or all of their products - even very large names like Sony and t***iba.

ake an interest n the design and quality control standards of the licensee, given the potential damage to their brand of dud products

It will be up to the licensee to ensure the standards are kept up...Hyundai would have no involvement - why would they as a car company it's not something that have knowledge in.

I expect the licensee won't make the items either as they will be farmed out to 3rd part companies. Many home electronic companies have 3rd parties make a lot or all of their products - even very large names like Sony and t***iba.

Among other courses the company sent me on I was Six-Sigma trained, this involved detailed work on Quality Control and process improvement, Our company had also adopted the continuous improvement methods as used by Toyota and other far Eastern manufacturers.

Any supplier or subcontractor to these companies is, as you say, responsible for the quality of what they manufacture but they are monitored very closely by the end user whose brand name is on the finished product.

Note also that Hyundai is not solely a car company, they also build the world's largest ships. (I believe their plant 5 is the largest car plant, their shipyard is also one of the world's biggest).

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - Engineer Andy

I suspect like good engineers, they took a rival's design, studied it, took note of all the significant defects in the design and made sure their version didn't have them. They appear to have done a similar job with their dual clutch transmissions - I don't recall any posts here or news stories about faulty units.

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - craig-pd130

My 225xe normally starts by default in electric mode - i.e. pressing 'start' wakes the car upready to move under electric power, but does NOT fire up the petrol engine until throttle input or selecting 'Sport manual' mode demands it.

However, BMW has programmed-in a routine that will automatically start the petrol engine when pressing 'start' if the car has not been driven at all for over 7 days, or if the petrol engine has not fired up at all for over 7 days. I believe this is done to circulate oil around the engine to avoid condensation corrosion and / or rapid wear if petrol power is suddenly demanded.

I don't know this for sure, but some of the greybeards on the BMW forums state that plugging in the car not only charges the traction battery, but also trickle-charges the 12V battery.

Hybrids and Starting Trouble - Galad

According to Mazda's website, the secondary mild hybrid battery could be damaged if the main battery is allowed to run flat.