Private Hire : - Cab Drivers only - HGV ~ P Valentine

I have recently applied for a job and want to know if it is worthwhile doing it, financially.

I used to do mini cabbing before licensing came in, in Harrow, around oct 2000. After doing this I worked out that you could get a better net pay if you had a van job paying £ 5 an hour, then doing this job.

The main reason being, although you had the money coming in, in went out just as quick on the following.

Car Hire

Radio hire

Grid charge

Petrol Charge

On the petrol a hybrid makes a huge difference, but for anyone doing mini cabbing is it possible to nett £ 500 per week, every week, after paying out for everything.

Ps add further cost of getting and maintaining the private hire license.

Private Hire : - Cab Drivers only - SLO76
Varies hugely from area to area, I don’t think you’ll get a consistent answer. But there are loads of ex taxi drivers at my work on the buses who got fed up with the instability of it all and wanted a stable wage without fear of costly breakdowns. My brother however did it for years and loved the freedom it gave him.

Depends very much on the local rules what I’d pick vehicle wise to do the job. Some areas have no age requirement so I’d buy a cheaper used Jap like an Avensis but those that require a car to be nearly new would see me spend more on an Auris Hybrid.

Based in Chichester

Taxi Driver - School Runs Airport Cars of Chichester

These are the people advertising.

Private Hire : - Cab Drivers only - thunderbird

Cab Drivers only

Does that mean that non-cab drivers cannot reply to your post.

Private Hire : - Cab Drivers only - daveyjp

Work it the other way and calculate how many paid miles would you need to do to clear £500 a week profit.

Council will have details of meter rates, deduct personal tax and vehicle running costs.

e.g. If charge is £3 a mile, personal tax, NI at a third £1, vehicle costs £1 that leaves £1 a mile for you, so 500 paid miles a week to make your £500.

Edited by daveyjp on 06/05/2020 at 18:04

Private Hire : - Cab Drivers only - Terry W

I'm not a cab driver but from simple observation:

• I have known taxi drivers who don't make very much, mainly because it is easy to slip into the habit of chatting to mates, finding reasons not to drive, deciding it's quiet so may as well go home. To make money you need commitment to putting the hours in
  • You need to be prepared to work when the work is there to do. Rainy days, rush hours (train stations etc), evenings (clubs, pubs etc) probably best. Mid afternoon in the local town centre all I see are cab drivers lounging in the sun chatting.

In a totally different business (engineering) I worked with someone who had a very simple approach to business efficiency - if it ain't working, it ain't earning!

Private Hire : - Cab Drivers only - gordonbennet

The nation is about to hit the buffers economically, nothing will be the same as it was before when people are released from house arrest, jobs by the hundreds of thousand will have vanished and due to the downward spiral hundreds of thousands more jobs will be shed over the coming months, the leisure industry in particular may never recover a sector in which taxis play a large role.

My advice for what its worth is to find a job in an industry that has to continue, ie part of the staple diet of the nation, HGV driving if you still do it in the can't-live-without food chain is among the most secure employment out there.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/05/2020 at 21:02

Private Hire : - Cab Drivers only - Maxime.

One of my friends is a taxi driver and has earned zero since the lock down started.

Perhaps not the best thing to do at the moment?

Private Hire : - Cab Drivers only - Moodyman

I know some drivers and they say it's possible to earn a reasonable living, but one has to do the hours and particularly unsocial hours (clubs, pubs, etc).

They also advise one has to get the right kind of car and look after it. That includes driving with mechanical sympathy as well sticking to the servicing schedule.

Another factor is insurance. Taxi insurance is way higher than a normal driver's.

A way to minimise your capital costs would be to car share. So, you run the car for 7-8 hours from early morning and your sharing partner another 7-8 hours from late afternoon. Whilst wear n tear will increase, its unlikely to double proportionately.