Bring back the Coupe - SLO76
In the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s we had loads of affordable yet practical sports coupes to choose from but today only the prestige brands really cater for this market.

It gave mainstream brands like Ford, Vauxhall and Peugeot the opportunity to charge a higher price and achieve higher margins from mass market underpinnings with cars like the Capri, Puma, Probe, Cougar, Manta, Calibra, Tigra, 406/407 Coupe, Alfa GTV, Brera, MX6 and Celica without having to invest a huge sum of money. All were based on lower mainstream models in one way or another.

Today the single person or couple with smaller or no children have no options beyond expensive German metal for a sporty looking Coupe which kills it for me as I’m no fan of BMW, Mercedes or Audi mainly due to the nasty image. The Toyota GT86 is great but it’s not practical like a Calibra or 406 Coupe.

I’d love a modern day Capri based on say the Focus or a Calibra based on the current Astra or Insignia. A new Peugeot Coupe based on the already attractive 508 would help bolster that cars image and Alfa have no Coupe in their range today unless I’m mistaken.

The Ford Capri was a legend despite basic underpinnings and the Puma was a joy in every way despite modest cost and low development investment over the Fiesta.

I think the mainstream brands who’ve all struggled in recent years did themselves a disservice by dropping these brand lifting models from their ranges. I remember seeing and selling loads of Vauxhall Calibra’s and Tigras in the 90’s and any Puma was sold before the end of its first day on the lot. A Toyota Celica was very sought after and people would buzz round an MX6 or Fiat Coupe.

SUV’s May be where the money is but brand lifting sporty models are required to raise the whole range and they require little investment to create based on existent underpinnings. Ford could have a real winner with another small Coupe based on the Fiesta as well as the small SUV that undeservedly pinched its name tag.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/04/2020 at 11:52

Bring back the Coupe - Engineer Andy

The previous generations (late 90s - last one before the 4 series was introduced) of the BMW 3 series coupe (not the Compact - odd looking) was the ones for me, with the 2.5L petrol V6.

Coupes are lovely looking cars, and, if done well, can still seat 4 people comfortably (not the Celica - I've been in the back of a 2000 model and it's for little kids only) and have a decent-sized boot. One of the problems with modern saloons and coupes is they've got much larger in order to accomodate all the extra safety features, crumple zones and gizmos in order to keep the reasonable seating and boot size - the more 'compact' ones are essentially 2 seaters or 2+2s with barely room for a golf or overnight bag.

The current 4 series coupe is too big (but great looking), the 2 series version too small and not so much of a looker.

I must admit liking the 406/7 coupe and its 508 successor. The Renault Laguna coupe (2009-12) was also a lovely looking car.

Probably why I also love saloons (similar shape) if done well, like my Mazda3 - the lastest one is gorgeous. I also have a soft spot for many of the 3 door 'coupe-style' warm/hot hatches from the last 20+ years. A shame they have all but disappeared from the ranges now. If only Mazda had not persisted with the rotary engine in the RX-8, I might've got one.

Bring back the Coupe - dan86

The previous generations (late 90s - last one before the 4 series was introduced) of the BMW 3 series coupe (not the Compact - odd looking) was the ones for me, with the 2.5L petrol V6.

Unless I'm mistaken BMW 6 cylinder engines have all been inline. I've had 4 different 325i's a 1986 manual 4 door saloon a 1990 4 door automatic a 1991 coup automatic and a 1993 convertible automatic. That was an impressive engine, smooth, powerful and very flexible albeit very thirsty when driven hard.

Unless I'm mistaken BMW 6 cylinder engines have all been inline. I've had 4 different 325i's a 1986 manual 4 door saloon a 1990 4 door automatic a 1991 coup automatic and a 1993 convertible automatic. That was an impressive engine, smooth, powerful and very flexible albeit very thirsty when driven hard.

You may well be right - it was more, as you say, the lovely sound and smoothness of the engines that I like, in combo with the decent amount of performance.

Bring back the Coupe - groaver
The Toyota GT86 is great but it’s not practical like a Calibra or 406 Coupe.

It's not as big but why do you say it's not as practical?

I'm afraid the coupe is all but dead.

People want lifestyle crossovers with a 'coupe' look.

Go figure.

Bring back the Coupe - Sofa Spud
The Toyota GT86 is great but it’s not practical like a Calibra or 406 Coupe.

It's not as big but why do you say it's not as practical?

I'm afraid the coupe is all but dead.

People want lifestyle crossovers with a 'coupe' look.

Go figure.

I've just spotted a gap in the market - 4x4 double-cab coupe-pickup. You saw it here first. But hang on a minute . . .second thoughts . . . that's not a million miles from the Tesla Cybertruck!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/04/2020 at 20:02

Bring back the Coupe - apdleam
Citroen DS4/ DS 4 is worth considering here. Not a full-on coupe but offers coupe looks (albeit with the raised rode height on the earlier Citroen-badged versions) Five doors, great spec (2015 onwards) a decent boot and cheap running costs (if you avoid the troublesome 1.6 diesels). Reliable cars but often overlooked. I had the 2.0 bluehdi 150 and it was only 0.1 seconds slower to 62mph than the Octavia VRS diesel of the same generation, only a hell of a lot cheaper to tax and run. Particularly good on brakes and tyres.

A five door hatch then. :-)

Edited by groaver on 18/04/2020 at 20:42

Bring back the Coupe - apdleam
Citroen DS4/ DS 4 is worth considering here. Not a full-on coupe but offers coupe looks (albeit with the raised rode height on the earlier Citroen-badged versions) Five doors, great spec (2015 onwards) a decent boot and cheap running costs (if you avoid the troublesome 1.6 diesels). Reliable cars but often overlooked. I had the 2.0 bluehdi 150 and it was only 0.1 seconds slower to 62mph than the Octavia VRS diesel of the same generation, only a hell of a lot cheaper to tax and run. Particularly good on brakes and tyres.
Bring back the Coupe - badbusdriver

I've just spotted a gap in the market - 4x4 double-cab coupe-pickup. You saw it here first. But hang on a minute . . .second thoughts . . . that's not a million miles from the Tesla Cybertruck!

I'm afraid not. Canopies to make a double cab pickup look like a coupe have been on the go for years. The cab shape and window line of the 4th and 5th gen Mitsubishi L200 lend themselves particularly well to this, here are a few examples:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200118630...s

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200316849...s

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200226775...s

I'm afraid not. Canopies to make a double cab pickup look like a coupe have been on the go for years. The cab shape and window line of the 4th and 5th gen Mitsubishi L200 lend themselves particularly well to this, here are a few examples:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200118630...s

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200316849...s

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200226775...s

I know about the canopies but I'm talking about a complete vehicle from a manufacturer. It's like people buy big hinged covers for their 4x4 double-cab pickups - effectively turning them into a clumsy looking 4-door saloon with boot!

Bring back the Coupe - Big John

There are some coupes around still but they don't sell well - eg Audi A5 and until recently the VW Passat CC- one reason is probably because they are also a lot more expensive.

I seem to remember way back when they even made coupe versions of some of the bigger cars - eg Granada mk I

For me coupe's were generally no use as most had less headroom - not good when you are 6ft4" tall. Saying that I don't really get the square box SUV thing although I might end up getting one as I will eventually need a car that is comfortable for me to drive (the extra height helps here) , is not toooo long and has good visibility so that Mrs BJ will like driving it (She likes being a passenger in our current Superb she's not so keen to drive it). The big , or not so big problem is the boots seem tiny in the small SUV's

You mention the Puma , obviously the later one is an SUV - actually this looks interesting

Edited by Big John on 18/04/2020 at 21:21

There are some coupes around still but they don't sell well - eg Audi A5 and until recently the VW Passat CC- one reason is probably because they are also a lot more expensive.

I seem to remember way back when they even made coupe versions of some of the bigger cars - eg Granada mk I

For me coupe's were generally no use as most had less headroom - not good when you are 6ft4" tall. Saying that I don't really get the square box SUV thing although I might end up getting one as I will eventually need a car that is comfortable for me to drive (the extra height helps here) , is not toooo long and has good visibility so that Mrs BJ will like driving it (She likes being a passenger in our current Superb she's not so keen to drive it). The big , or not so big problem is the boots seem tiny in the small SUV's

You mention the Puma , obviously the later one is an SUV - actually this looks interesting

They did indeed make a MkI Granada Coupe and a classy big thing it was too. I don’t like the A5 coupe and the Passat CC was a saloon not a coupe. I agree that coupes were tight in the back for adults but for a couple with one or two young children a Calibra or 406 Coupe had plenty of room and a touch more style than the saloons they were based on. They sold well but cost cutting has seen many decent selling models binned in recent years by mass market firms like Ford and Vauxhall to the detriment of the range as a whole. I think for the small added cost a well designed and correctly priced coupe could sell well.

Bring back the Coupe - Big John

With some coupes it wasn't just the room in the back for me it was the headroom in the front because of the sloping/lower roofs. I did have a Capri way back when but had to over recline the seat to fit in - OK ish at the time but I'd end up at the chiro these days!

Bring back the Coupe - veloceman
Personally my favourite was the Alfa Gt. a mix up of 147 and 156.

Even Hyundai had a decent effort the their Coupe.
Prob with the few 2dr Coupes for sale at the mo is they are not a hatch so not practical.

Things are getting less interesting by the day. Corsa and Swift only available as 5 door now.
What happened to the warm hatch. MG Metro, AX Gt, Nova SR, 205 Gt, XR2 etc.
All fun, not particularly quick but all gone. All we have now is a ‘GT Line’ where it’s all about show and no go.
Bring back the Coupe - Andrew-T

Perhaps with the current trend to rising waistlines there would be little space for any glass in the rear compartment of a coupé ? Very claustrophobic.

Bring back the Coupe - Falkirk Bairn

My son sent a picture to me yesterday.

A Honda Accord 3 litre V6 auto coupe - it would be 20 year old but looked like it was new.

It had 77K on the clock.

He sent the photo as he knew I would like it. I almost bought the 2 litre version in 1999 but bought a Xedos instead. The 3 litre was the one that appealed - but too heavy on the petrol - at that time I was doing 20-25K+ miles per year.

I had a 2001 two litre Version in dark blue with cream leather interior of the Accord.

Comfortable big car built in the US.

Suspension on front was prone to wear.

Edited by groaver on 19/04/2020 at 12:16

Bring back the Coupe - Avant

Time was when coupes were generally faster than the equivalent saloons and had sportier handling. Nowadays for reasons of economy of scale, they're built on the same platforms.

So people have to want the look of a coupe to buy it, and that's more and more of a niche market. The German makes still find enough buyers at the high end of the market, but even they are going more for 4- or even 5-door coupes.

Personally I've never wanted a coupe. For a fun car it's a convertible every time.

Bring back the Coupe - nellyjak

I did have a a Celica (gen 7) for a couple of years...loved it...but as said, not a four seater.!..but it was great to drive, economical and very reliable..and nowt would have cost he earth had it ever gone wrong in any way.

I think it was a lovely looking car too.

I agree too that you can gain that extra fun factor with a convertible..I had a Saab 93 2 litre LPT "vert" for a couple of years...that was really good at long distance stuff as it was incredibly comfortable.(as most Saabs are)..went very well too.!

Bring back the Coupe - gordonbennet

The '96 W124 Merc coupe (same dimensions as convertible) we still have is about a foot shorter and considerably lower than the saloon/estate it was based on, very expensive when new.

Personally i prefer the looks of the saloon/estates as well as the extra cabin height, not a lot of difference in driving compared to an equivalent spec saloon they all corner at ridicuious speed as if on magnetised rails, i doubt there was much difference in weight either given the extra shell strength needed for the coupe and convertible, both of which are B pillarless, the floor reinforcements are serious indeed.

Bring back the Coupe - Random

Depends on the kind of fun you want from a car. Convertibles generally are not as stiff as a coupe so invariably the experience isn't the same. We have the perfect climate for a convertible.

Bring back the Coupe - Alby Back

It's quite easy to imagine that a man who has a coupe probably, even now, still has a medallion too, and will almost certainly favour slip on shoes.

Convertibles attract a more complex demographic, and often conflate with male pattern baldness or, female obesity and blonde hair dye.

:-)

This chap who has still a coupe must remind one Alby that it is in fact SWMBO car, phew.

No medallions, one discreet tattoo denoting my lapsed religious devotion, Dewalt workboots, CAT boots for leisure wear, Cheaney country boots and finally Sargeants formal Dundee boots for other wear, all lace up, all polished regularly...note it annoys one or two scruffier colleagues that i keep my workboots polished, hence they get polished even more.

Full head of hair still, that special shade of old frat grey that some of the fair maidens spend fortunes on to give them the distinguished look that comes naturally to those of us well past our sell by date.

:-))

Never owned a convertible, nearest was an American T Top Chevvy 80's coupe, cool eh.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/04/2020 at 12:23

Don't think I'd realised that you still have that old Merc GB.

Is it still a runner or is it off the road now?

Don't think I'd realised that you still have that old Merc GB.

Is it still a runner or is it off the road now?

Still a runner but stood it the last year, gets so little use i wasn't sure what to do with it to be honest, the present debacle which is likely to herald a serious recession at best is likely to knock values for six, we'll see.

3 dogs now, and they are our family so if we go anywhere its either of the two other cars get used, plus i'm kind of addicted to SWMBO deceptively rapid Forester XT, also running LPG for the win :-)

Anyway enough about me, all good with you and yours i hope, and trust your work side of things will come out of this in good shape, thankfully (and not being smug here but extremely grateful) my work could not be more secure for various reasons, 10 years here now, best thing i ever did knocking on the door and i know it, we've worked through obviously.

Have you still got that Cashcow with the mirrors held on with wing nuts ))))

Bring back the Coupe - Avant

I've never heard of 'pattern baldness' - sounds quite alarming. Although Alopecia sounds like a nice girl's name, along with Asphyxia and Hernia (O what rupture...,)

:)

The Reverend and Mrs Fawlty-Follicle and their daughter Alopecia...?

;-)

I've never heard of 'pattern baldness' - sounds quite alarming. Although Alopecia sounds like a nice girl's name, along with Asphyxia and Hernia (O what rupture...,)

:)

Alopecia sound like a good name for an Alfa or a FIAT MPV.

Talking of Italian names; I saw that a Ferrari Testarossa would be a Smith Redhead in English!

Bring back the Coupe - thunderbird

What is the point of a coupe, you get less space for more money.

Couple of recent(ish) examples.

Friend retired early and with his payout decided to swap his 5 year old Golf TDi for a brand new Scirocco TDi. The car was ordered, top model loaded with extras including a tow bar for his caravan. When it arrived he went to collect it and immediately spotted no tow bar. Salesman told him a tow bar was not homologated for that model but mate pointed out that it was in the price list and on his order. After much arguing and meetings at the garage he was ordered a Golf to the same spec which came with a tow bar. A year later when he was in the garage having the Golf serviced he was looking at a Scirocco brochure and spotted that whilst certain models could be had with a tow bar the model he ordered could not.

Hatch 1, coupe nil.

Young colleague at work bought a Leon Coupe. Another colleague pointed out to him it was simply a 5 door hatch with 2 doors removed and less rear leg room and had cost him more.

Hatch 2, coupe nil.

After a couple of years of being told he had a Leon 3 door hatch and not a coupe he bought an Astra 3 door that again he insisted was a coupe. Same as the Leon, less space and cost more.

Hatch 3, coupe nil.

Only an idiot would fail to see they were being ripped off.

How was I ripped off with my Accord, Civic and BRZ coupes?

A coupe gave you style but retained enough space to serve as a family car. It was dearer to buy but typically depreciated more slowly. Think of the Calibra in the 90’s. It had a huge boot and decent space in the back. It was based on the mundane but robust Cavalier but added a bit of flair and a less steep depreciation curve. These sold well as did most coupes including the Tigra and Puma well into the age of the SUV. The convertible hardtop is probably more to blame for their demise to be fair though.

Ah yes, but they look nicer, and the proper coupes (not the Leon SC, which you are correct about in terms of the engineering, but it is a nicer looking car [as is the Golf equivalent] than the 5dr version), like saloons, are stiffer than hatchbacks because most mave a solid back window and a proper boot, so they handle a bit better.

My Mazda3 saloon also is all of 0.1sec quicker to 60 than the hatch and must be a bit better on the mpg too, as it likely has a better drag coefficient. proper coupes even better on that score.

To be honest, most of it is the styling.

It's about what brings you pleasure, coupes should look pretty and to be fair most do, its nothing to do with showing off it's being prepared to pay to enjoy looking at the car you drive when its sat on your driveway as much as anything.

Those who know the price of everything and the value of nothing may not get this, we don't all want the very best value or the car that everyone else buys because its better value or some motoring magazine advertising dept tells you it's best, thankfully for the time being we are still allowed to buy what car we want to, i urge you to do so because the new puritans are itching to take that small pleasure away from you in their quest to dictate how you should live.

Amen GB!

I used to lean over the couch in my front room and just look out the window tracing the lines of the BRZ from its haunches over the rear wheels to the curves on its bonnet. To me it was a pretty car that was made to stare at (as well as drive!).

Amen GB!

I used to lean over the couch in my front room and just look out the window tracing the lines of the BRZ from its haunches over the rear wheels to the curves on its bonnet. To me it was a pretty car that was made to stare at (as well as drive!).

I never even knew Subaru made a coupe! Quite nice looking for a Subaru.

Come to think about it, I knew they made coupes in the past, I just didn't know about the BRZ. Something of a gap in my encyclopaedic motoring knowledge (!!!)

Edited by Sofa Spud on 25/04/2020 at 14:12

That's part of the problem for them Sofa Spud, it falls under many people's radar as they only notice it's sister car, the Toyota GT 86.

That and it's too dear now and was never properly marketed.

A two-wheel drive Subaru!?

Amen GB!

I never even knew Subaru made a coupe! Quite nice looking for a Subaru.

It's the same car (apart from the badge and a small bit of detailing outside) as the Toyota GT86, but they're all built by Subaru. I like the exterior styling (of both, not they're that different), but can't stand the cheesy 1980s interior styling, which looks cheap and nasty.

Oh for Mazda to make a Mazda3-based coupe (the current Fastback is a real looker anyway) but with their 2.5T petrol engine in it and not the SA-X (nice, but not really a performance engine or a real punchy cruiser) or rotary engine (which apparently will return in their next RX model). Great exterior and interior looks. As long as it's got a decent sized boot and a spare wheel/tyre. TBH I loved the looks or the last RX-8.

No mainstream manufacturer will be making a coupe anymore.

They don't make money outwith the US.

No mainstream manufacturer will be making a coupe anymore.

They don't make money outwith the US.

Perhaps, but who would've thought that compact crossovers would be big business now, given they don't actually provide much (if any) more interior space than the standard cars they are based on, but cost between 10-25% more, handle less well and return lower mpg/higer emissions due to their higher drag coefficient and higher weight.

Fashions go in cycles, thus coupes may come back, in some form. Then agaim, we may all be riding in travel pods in 25+ years time!

Bring back the Coupe - Ethan Edwards

I was thinking about getting an old Celica probably 2004 to 2005. Fun car dirt cheap. But looking at the mpg naught to sixty and top end. The 1.8 is pretty much a match for my 1 litre turbo Swift cept a tad more thisty. Has nice styling but that's about all , so the Swift stays.

I was thinking about getting an old Celica probably 2004 to 2005. Fun car dirt cheap. But looking at the mpg naught to sixty and top end. The 1.8 is pretty much a match for my 1 litre turbo Swift cept a tad more thisty. Has nice styling but that's about all , so the Swift stays.

I bet that Swift has more room in the back as well. I had the displeasure of being a passenger in the back of a Celica of that era when at work, and it's only made for kids in the rear. TBH, the Swift Sport (not the current one, the previous gen car) in either 'Ford' blue with a white stripe down the middle or black with a burgundy rooftop are the best colours, and in 3dr form.

What I found amazing was how the introduction of the rear spoiler on the Celica made such a huge improvement to its looks.

Bring back the Coupe - Ethan Edwards

yeah you'd be right lot more room.