Most impressed by - SLO76
Everyone (including myself) likes to criticise but feeling cheerful today I thought I’d list a top ten of cars that have surprised and impressed me on driving. Cars I’d happily own and rate highly particularly for the way they drive in most cases which isn’t about outright speed or grip but they way they feel on the road.

Nissan Skyline GTR - rare that I like such performance metal but these are actually quite civilised and despite all the tech it feels alive under you. A joy to drive fast but quite capable of a quiet run to the shops.

Ford Mondeo Mk I 1.8 LX - I was amazed at how right these were from day one. Nimble handling, great steering feel, slick gearchange, near perfect driving position, comfy seats, decent amount of space and 35mpg. All the car you needed and reliable too. Post facelift cars seen cost cutting inside and I just didn’t like the next gen model in 2001.

Peugeot 306 1.9 XRdt - Fantastic cars to drive, even the 1.4 petrol or normally aspirated diesels as long as you had PAS. Comfy, nimble, sweet steering, practical and generally very reliable. I loved these but could never get one as a company car as they never sat any length of time. I did buy and sell a fair number and owned a 1.4 LX I paid £500 for then sold for £750 a year later. I loved the 306 and would like a GTI6 or XSi as a retro toy. Sadly most have been ruined or sellers are asking mad money today. One of the best Peugeot’s ever if not the best.

Ford Focus Mk I 1.6 Zetec - Ford really got it right in the 90’s with this and the Mondeo, both we’re almost perfect. The Focus was a hoot to pilot down a twisting B road yet civilised enough to be the perfect family or company hack. The rev happy Yamaha designed 1600 motor had just enough power to be fun yet was more reliable, better on fuel and smoother than the bigger Ford Zetec motors only the dearer cars. I wasn’t a huge fan of the styling but the drive more than made up for it. Buy a good one now as prices are heading upwards

Rover Metro K series 1.4 GTA - Yes really! These were all a joy to drive even the basic 1.1, a real go kart on the road when you wanted yet it was more civilised than the previous car with much better ride and refinement. I never had any reliability issues with any I sold in fact the only issue was rust.

Nissan Primera 2.0 LX - Handled like a Peugeot 405 but built like a Bluebird, these were the perfect family car of 1990. Only minor issue was the ride being a bit firm.

Peugeot 205 - All bar the base 954cc were great cars. Practical enough to serve as the main family car in 5dr form, able to do 250k in diesel spec and the best hot hatch on the road in GTi form. These wee cars were just right.

Mazda MX5 1.6 Mk I 114bhp - Early cats were the best, later gens became heavier and had less feel. The Japs showed us how the two seater sports car should’ve been done. Prices for good early Mk I’s are through the roof which tells you plenty. A real joy to own and drive.

Ford Puma 1.7 - Ford on a high note produced this joyous little coupe. It was cheap being based on a Fiesta but drove better than anything else in the road with near perfect handling and a just powerful enough 123bhp Yamaha motor. Reliable too but rusted like it was the 1970’s over again. I tried to find a good one a few years back but almost all are ruined as you can’t get body panels for them anymore and cheap repairs are common.

BMW 325 E36 - The last BMW I liked. These were light, nimble, fun yet civilised and reliable. Not as solid as it should’ve been perhaps but it was more robust mechanically than later variants as it was much simpler. I really rated the 318 which was much cheaper to buy and run than the 6cyl cars but was quick enough to be fun on the road while the 325 had to really be driven illegally to get close to its limits. The 4cyl belt driven engines were sweet revving and quite torquey too.

BMW 525 E34 - Built like a tank yet handled like a sports car these were brilliant things and sold well as a result. More reliable than later BM’s thanks to relative simplicity.

Volvo 850 GLT 2.5 - Hard to believe now but the initial road tests placed this ahead of the 5 series. They handled and rode great yet would outlast you if looked after. I loved the combination and image.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/04/2020 at 11:37

Most impressed by - Engineer Andy

Well, given I've never actually driven 10 different cars in my 22 years of driving (I've only owned two cars!), trying to populate these lists is difficult! :-)

I was always impressed with my Mazda 3 Mk1 1.6 petrol - great revvy engine - never quick, but decent enough and just keeps going without any woes (14 years in), but great handling, interior and boot space, nicely laid out and easy to use controls, good driving position with a decent amount of adjustment.

Unsurprisingly, its sister car, the Ford Focus mk2 is equally as good, which I had the pleasure of driving as a hire car.

Nissan Almera mk1 1.4 petrol. I had this as a loan car whilst my 90s Micra was in for servicing, and was pleasantly surprised by the decent handling and nippy feel. Not the best looker, but certainly nice to drive. The GTi was always well regarded.

Pug 205. I learned to drive in a 1.9D - easy to drive, great visibility and handling, comfortable.

Nissan Micra K11 1.0 - my first car. Like the 205, easy to drive and great visibility, very frugal, decent spec for the money, very cheap to buy and run. Rust was eventually the only major problem. I still miss it, especially when parking my Mazda3 (which has no parking sensors fitted) in tight spaces.

“ Nissan Micra K11 1.0 - my first car. Like the 205, easy to drive and great visibility, very frugal, decent spec for the money, very cheap to buy and run. Rust was eventually the only major problem. I still miss it, especially when parking my Mazda3 (which has no parking sensors fitted) in tight spaces.“

Oh aye, I forgot about the wee Micra. I grabbed the keys of the first one we had in an early 93- K 1.0L base model with nothing on it not even wheel trims but boy what a brilliant little car it was. I couldn’t believe anyone would buy a Corsa or Fiesta of the same age if they test drove them back to back. These were utterly reliable, cheap to buy, cheap to run and an absolute pleasure to drive with their sweet revving little 16v twin cam engines.
Most impressed by - Andrew-T

<< I loved the 306 and would like a GTI6 or XSi as a retro toy. Sadly most have been ruined or sellers are asking mad money today. >>

I'm not sure whether that's true. There are few 306s for sale now compared to the 205 GTi's which seem to go on asking sillier money, presumably not to be driven much. The 306s are mostly Mk.2s from 1997 onwards, and are pretty cheap. I've seen a couple of XSi's for sale in the 2-3K price region recently.

<< I loved the 306 and would like a GTI6 or XSi as a retro toy. Sadly most have been ruined or sellers are asking mad money today. >>

I'm not sure whether that's true. There are few 306s for sale now compared to the 205 GTi's which seem to go on asking sillier money, presumably not to be driven much. The 306s are mostly Mk.2s from 1997 onwards, and are pretty cheap. I've seen a couple of XSi's for sale in the 2-3K price region recently.

I’ve seen tidy GTi-6’s at over £6k and I found a very nice XSi locally with low miles at £4,500 but I wasn’t in a position to have that as a 3rd car at the moment. Occasionally cheap but good examples pop up from sellers who just think they’re another old car but they disappear quickly. The bulk of the cheap cars are run of the mill models which while good few have been cherished and there little value to them. My favourites are the 2.0 XSi 8v or the Dturbo both of which are sought after and very rare now.
Most impressed by - groaver

Seat Toledo Mk 1.

With the VW 2.0 litre 8 valve engine it was a delight to drive. Pulled like a train in any gear and so flexible. It could pull cleanly at 20mph in 5th gear and returned around 40mpg.

Huge boot due to hatch shape. It was a run out model in top spec and looked great in bottle green. Semi leather bucket-style seats that were really comfortable.

Ran for 3.5 years and never needed anything other than service items.

Suzuki Cappuccino. Tiny but drove like a real car. I loved the three position roof: targa, t-bar or full convertible. It had a glass rear screen as well. Fantastic design in a minute package.

“ Suzuki Cappuccino. Tiny but drove like a real car. I loved the three position roof: targa, t-bar or full convertible. It had a glass rear screen as well. Fantastic design in a minute package.”

Always liked these but never managed to bag a shot of one. I think the firm would do well importing a new model of this ditto Honda who have something similar in Japan. The UK is one of the worlds biggest open top markets so I find it odd the Japanese (except Mazda) neglect it when we both drive on the same side of the road.
I’ll add the original Ford Ka to my list assuming you forked our for power steering. These were another example of how it’s possible to do cheap and cheerful. I loved slinging one of these down a twisting B road and would frequently take one home with me. This is what the new Beetle should’ve been, a small cheap but fun to drive city car that could take 4 people if needed. If VW had aimed lower they would’ve sold millions of them.

Passat cc. (Pre-facelift)

A really lovely looking car that drove smoothly. My one and only diesel.

The interior was really just the Passat saloon's but well finished and I loved the electric rear window blind. It was the perfect antidote to a tail-gater.

I even managed high 50s mpg on a family holiday to Devon, Legoland and back home.

Edited by groaver on 15/04/2020 at 13:17

Most impressed by - Random

SLO, a great selection. I'm itching to buy a relatively inexpensive retro car for fun. Which do you reckon has better steering feel/sharpness out of a 306 and a Puma?

Edited by Random on 15/04/2020 at 14:45

SLO, a great selection. I'm itching to buy a relatively inexpensive retro car for fun. Which do you reckon has better steering feel/sharpness out of a 306 and a Puma?

The Ford’s, particularly the Puma win it for outright driver appeal especially if steering feel and gear change are important but they’re a bit firmer riding compared to the Peugeot which managed to blend great handling with supple ride. They flowed very nicely along our rough B roads beautifully but the gearboxes were nowhere near as nice as Fords. The Puma will be rare and expensive in the very near future and the Mk I Focus will become a classic early doors too.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/04/2020 at 15:07

Most impressed by - nellyjak

Given the criteria...for me, in pure driving terms, (what you would call a driver's car) the ones that stand out are a Lancia Fulvia..road holding par excellence..and a more modern Gen 7 Toyota Celica....both very rewarding to drive enthusiastically.

Most impressed by - Old.Roverboy

Car I enjoyed the Most was an 827 honda engined Rover Vitesse.

God, that was good!

Car I enjoyed the Most was an 827 honda engined Rover Vitesse.

God, that was good!

Flogged loads of 800’s, mostly 2.0’s and they were much better than their reputation suggested. I was a big fan of these back in the day, especially the 5dr fastbacks. I made a pretty penny flogging them. The reason why the V6 was so rare is that the 2.0 16v went very well itself even mated to an auto box. The original Honda V6 2.5 didn’t feel that quick but the later 2.7 was an improvement. Sadly the BMW debacle meant Rover lost access to this and they quickly had to cobble together a replacement based on an engine that was never meant to be larger than 1400cc, the K series and it was a disaster initially. Later re-engineered cars were better but who thought that three timing belts was a wise idea? It costs the guts of a grand to do the belts and water pump on a KV6 which was widely neglected thus killing many 825’s and 75’s.

Given the criteria...for me, in pure driving terms, (what you would call a driver's car) the ones that stand out are a Lancia Fulvia..road holding par excellence..and a more modern Gen 7 Toyota Celica....both very rewarding to drive enthusiastically.

I haven’t had the pleasure of either yet but for me it’s about feel rather than outright performance or grip. A car can offer huge power and grip yet offer no feel with numb steering, a clunky gear change and overly firm suspension, i’m thinking most Audi’s in the 80’s and 90’s. Yes an S2 Coupe 20v was fast but it was dull to drive while a 1.25 Ford Fiesta or a Peugeot 106 1.1 felt alive and fun. Small hot hatches, lightweight two seaters and basic fwd hatchbacks are often the best on the road. Just reminds me of one I’ve forgot which is the Lotus Elise. Get one with a Toyota engine or one that’s had the K series correctly upgraded and you can keep it forever. I’m bored without a wee toy to tinker with but it’s hardly the time to buy and funds are tight with swmbo a student until the end of the summer and my commercial buy to let investment on a two month rent holiday. Bit skint.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/04/2020 at 16:25

Most impressed by - nellyjak

I haven’t had the pleasure of either yet but for me it’s about feel rather than outright performance or grip. A car can offer huge power and grip yet offer no feel with numb steering, a clunky gear change and overly firm suspension, i’m thinking most Audi’s in the 80’s and 90’s. Yes an S2 Coupe 20v was fast but it was dull to drive while a 1.25 Ford Fiesta or a Peugeot 106 1.1 felt alive and fun. Small hot hatches, lightweight two seaters and basic fwd hatchbacks are often the best on the road. Just reminds me of one I’ve forgot which is the Lotus Elise. Get one with a Toyota engine or one that’s had the K series correctly upgraded and you can keep it forever. I’m bored without a wee toy to tinker with but it’s hardly the time to buy and funds are tight with swmbo a student until the end of the summer and my commercial buy to let investment on a two month rent holiday. Bit skint.

I agree SLO...that's why I used the word "rewarding"..neither of my choices have huge power/performance to offer but they always "felt" right and were responsive and a joy to drive.

Agree about the Elise.,!

Most impressed by - Random

Thanks SLO, test drives after lock down. Some cheapish Puma on Ebay, probably riiddled with rust.

Most impressed by - Big John

My favorite car owned of all time a Saab 9000 cs. Amazing engines, refined, smooth ride, not too bad on petrol and oh those fabulous seats!

Edited by Big John on 15/04/2020 at 19:13

Most impressed by - Graham567
MK 4 Mondeo that I am still driving because it's too good to get rid of.Super smooth and quiet 2.0 litre diesel engine and fantastic driving manners.Ultra reliable and cheap to service.36 mpg round town and 54mpg on the motorway.The car is ten years old now but people comment how good it looks and on 18" snowflake wheels,boot spoiler and darkened back windows and I tend to agree!
MK 4 Mondeo that I am still driving because it's too good to get rid of.Super smooth and quiet 2.0 litre diesel engine and fantastic driving manners.Ultra reliable and cheap to service.36 mpg round town and 54mpg on the motorway.The car is ten years old now but people comment how good it looks and on 18" snowflake wheels,boot spoiler and darkened back windows and I tend to agree!

Great cars and almost made the list but it’s not head and shoulders above rivals like the original. The 2.0 diesel is the pick of the range and one of the best used buys on the market however.

Most impressed by....... - John F

.....my twelve cylinder aluminium audi sport quattro. Very few will have seen one, let alone driven one. But over forty years ago my Dolomite Sprint's powertrain had some impressive engineering. Unfortunately it was installed in a rot-box, albeit well upholstered. Our current Peugeot 2008 reminds me of it - same size and power, although front wheel drive and hopefully more rust resistant.

Most impressed by....... - SLO76

Can’t help thinking of the best car chase in movie history every time you mention that big Audi John. The S8 in Ronin was awesome. I loved that film so much I made a pilgrimage to the south of France to drive the roads it was filmed on. Along with a visit to a pub next door to the shoot out scene at the end of that chase.

Can’t help thinking of the best car chase in movie history every time you mention that big Audi John. The S8 in Ronin was awesome. I loved that film .....

.....Me too! As you probably know, my poor man's Bentley was a stop gap between the old D2 S8 and the D3 S8 which used the V10 (same power, less torque, more raucous). VW decided to reserve the W12 for footballers' Continentals, plutocrats' Flying Spurs (with turbos) and eurocrats' A8L limos. It apparently featured in a 'Transporter' film, a genre of which I am blissfully ignorant.

Most impressed by....... - Will deBeast

.....my Dolomite Sprint's powertrain had some impressive engineering....

I can remember helping a friend with his. As I recall, it had both rocker arms and a direct overhead cam. But the rusty body killed it off.

.....my Dolomite Sprint's powertrain had some impressive engineering....

I can remember helping a friend with his. As I recall, it had both rocker arms and a direct overhead cam. But the rusty body killed it off.

Yes, 16 valves operated by a single cam with rockers. Brilliant! Fortunately I never had to adjust the clearances.

www.uniquecarsandparts.com/triumph_dolomite_swindl...m

The Triumph slant 4 engine Achilles heel is the water pump, mounted high up horizontally on the block driven by a jackshaft. When the bearing begins to fail, it leaks almost imperceptibly from the side of the block. With neither coolant level indicator nor transparent tank, just a few mls each day which evaporate almost as fast as they leak will eventually cause catastrophic overheating of the cylinder head. I owned one from around 44,000 miles to about 70,000 miles and I see from my old Haynes manual records that I fitted a new water pump at 60,500. (I also changed the oil every 5,000 miles!!). Coincidentally - and twenty five years later, I had to replace my TR7 water pump at almost exactly the same mileage. I think the same incontinence problem affected the Triumph Stag's V8.

Most impressed by....... - SLO76
Saab made good use of that old Triumph design and fixed its issues, it became a very robust engine indeed. It lasted in production in one form or another right up to 2009.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/04/2020 at 15:31

My favorite car owned of all time a Saab 9000 cs. Amazing engines, refined, smooth ride, not too bad on petrol and oh those fabulous seats!

Big fan of the 9000, I liked big exec hatches and the 9000 was the best built of all of them. I preferred the early non-turbo with the stainless steel wheel trims which were better built cars or the later low pressure turbos as the high output cars suffered too much turbo lag and torque steer. When they first appeared they were hugely expensive things, more in line with a BMW 7 series than a Ford Granada but later cars were cut to appeal more to fleet markets. The 9-5 that replaced it was a disgrace, the quality was awful and the rattling Fiat or GM diesels many were sold with ruined the prestige image.

Most impressed by - expat

A 1960's Mini Moke. 850 engine, 10" wheels, no power but great fun to punt around town. I took off the hood and left it in the laundry and I would drive round in the sunshine with a pretty girl. Life does not get better! We have 6 month summers over here (Aust) so it was perfect.

Late 80s Honda's. From the Civic through Integra, Prelude, Accord to Legend.

They always felt like the engineering Dept led the decision making process in their design and build.

They felt light years ahead of most mainstream brands.

They generally even looked desirable too.

Edited by groaver on 16/04/2020 at 08:25

Most impressed by - elekie&a/c doctor
The Saab 9000 has already been mentioned, but what about its sister car, the Alfa 164 . A great machine , especially with the sweetest ever sounding V6 engine . Delightful.
The Saab 9000 has already been mentioned, but what about its sister car, the Alfa 164 . A great machine , especially with the sweetest ever sounding V6 engine . Delightful.

Lovely engine but the interior quality was woeful and the chassis was unable to use most of that lovely engines power. I did drive a late Twin Spark 2.0 once and found it quite impressive.
Most impressed by - Will deBeast

I posted on the other thread about running away from a dodgy rangerover when we moved the Kenya and buying a shogun/pajero instead.

I was given a company car there - I had a choice between a Peugeot 405 estate or a Subaru Leone estate. I think both were assembled locally.

I chose the Subaru, and it was seriously impressive, especially once we fitted some mud tyres. My wife wanted to practice getting stuck and getting recovered as she would be ferrying some friends around 'up country'. So we found some mud and tried for two hours in the slipperiest stuff we could find. We could not get the subaru stuck.

And that was repeated on safari - it simply went everywhere. We never needed the ropes we always carried. Indeed, I don't remember even needing to engage the diff lock.

Most impressed by - concrete

After a series of 'starter' cars such as a Ford Anglia, Mini, 1100 etc I got a company car. A brand new 1100 Escort. Seemed pretty good to me at the time. Graduating to a 1300, then a Hillman Hunter then a 1600 Cortina. The big surprise came when I was able to pick from a larger range so I ordered a 2000 GT Cortina. Wow that was style and a bit of pace too. After working abroad for a while I bought a 911T which was a really good drive. Used it everyday and it was very good all round. Later when back to company cars found that Honda were the business. Followed by a lovely Peugeot 406. My last working car was a Superb 1.9PD130 Tdi and that was outstanding. Now have an excellent Volvo XC60 D4, no complaints at all. Overall I must have been fortunate. I have never had a 'lemon' and some of the mid range 'rep mobiles' have been really comfortable and reliable too. Never had a small car since the Mini and Spitfire so can't comment on those. Pretty good success rate over that past 50 odd years.

Cheers Concrete

Most impressed by - Big John

My last working car was a Superb 1.9PD130 Tdi and that was outstanding.

Agreed my 2003 Superb 1 pd was a great car and my Superb II isn't doing so bad either. Still think the Saab 9000 cs was my favorite though.

Another I'd almost forgotten about was a Vauxhall VX4/90 with overdrive - Comfortable, refined and for the time rather quick - liked a drink though!

Edited by Big John on 17/04/2020 at 21:15