VW Dealers sold me a damaged car. advice! - redsett 99

Hi all

Im new to this site/forum. I'll try to make it as brief as i can.

Colletted my 67 plate VW GTi from Blackburn VW on the day of lock down. Handed over my Audi as part ex, signed the paperwork and home i go! I get home to wash and spruce the car up, only to find its had damage to the front wing and been badly repaired and was not told this prior to purchace. I took the car straight back within an hour of purchase only to find everyone had gone home except the main manager who inspected the car and apollogised and said we'll sort it when we open back up! (the day of lockdown)

They have a 30 day or 1000 mile exchange no quibble! The manager said "dont worry about that! your clock starts (exchange clock) when we open back up!

I have the car on PCP can i hand it back plus get my old Audi back (still in their possession)

Exchange the car for another VW maybe a cheaper one, would my original £2750 i was given as part ex still be used against another car from the dealership!

My preferred route would be to hand the Golf back and take my Audi back and just walk away!

please advise Regards Mark

VW Dealers sold me a damaged car. advice! - concrete

As far as I can see, the manager gave you the assurance that your normal rights of return begin again after the garage reopens. That is all well and good but for several obvious points. The fact you no longer want the car makes it more difficult. Unless you have a point of contact who is willing to open up and exchange vehicles and rectify the finances you are effectively in limbo until after lockdown. Even then, which could be weeks you will have used the car and increased the mileage, wear and tear etc, for which they may want recompense. Maybe after some thought you decide to keep the Golf, then of course the repairs can be carried out when the garage re-opens. At which point you insist the repairs are carried out by an approved VW repairer and not just a back street cheap operation and you want a written guarantee for the repairs in line with industry guidelines. In the meantime you could obtain three estimates for the work from approved workshops and submit those to the garage(if anyone is around) and they could pay that way. I suspect they will not want that and they have a favourite repairer who does their work. All in all I am afraid you are another hapless victim of circumstances and you will have to wait until later to sort it all out. It makes sense to go the down the repair route if you like the car, then you can use it until the time comes without worrying about mileage etc etc. You have a decision to make. Good luck.

Cheers Concrete

VW Dealers sold me a damaged car. advice! - redsett 99
Thank you for your reply
It’s a waiting game at the moment!
Fingers crossed. I will let you know how it all turns out!
Kind regards mark.
VW Dealers sold me a damaged car. advice! - joegrundy

You might find these links interesting:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/files/2914/79.pdf

That is the Financial Ombudsman's site with a specific article about car finance. It makes clear that if you buy a car on PCP, legally the seller is the finance company and your contract is with them, not the dealer. (The dealer is a supplier to the finance company, which sells to you.)

www.businesscompanion.info/sites/default/files/Car...f

This is the govt-backed advice to dealers on how to comply with consumer law. Very useful info.

To protect your interests, contact the finance company within 30 days of purchase (ideally) but definitely within 6 months telling them you reject the car because it is not of satisfactory quality.

VW Dealers sold me a damaged car. advice! - Palcouk

Send a recorded delivery letter to the Dealer Principle, outlining your concerns/what you have found

Maybe also send a copy to the PCP finance provider.

VW Dealers sold me a damaged car. advice! - Simon

Surely the simple the thing to.do is to let them repair it to an acceptable standard once they reopen for business?

Did you not spot the poor paint repair before you bought the car in the first place?

VW Dealers sold me a damaged car. advice! - alan1302

Surely the simple the thing to.do is to let them repair it to an acceptable standard once they reopen for business?

Did you not spot the poor paint repair before you bought the car in the first place?

They said they noticed it after they took the car home and washing giving it a wash.

VW Dealers sold me a damaged car. advice! - SLO76
Is it just a poor paint repair to a wing? If so and the car is otherwise good I’d let them repair it. A VW main dealer will have a good repair done. I’ve had the bumper painted on my Polo by our local dealer after a mechanic reversed into a bollard and the quality was first class. I wouldn’t reject a car based on this. It’s a used car and minor paint repairs are not an issue if repaired properly. Yes it should’ve been done. It might not have been noticed or they just hoped that you (like 90% of others) wouldn’t notice it. Most don’t look that close.