Ford fiesta - Can you be done twice for having no tax - Susan41981

Hi I’ve recieved a letter today from a debt agency for hundreds of pounds relating to a court case brought by the DVLA that I failed to appear at last year as I was unaware of it.

Long story short, I failed to update my v5 when I moved house a couple of years ago and only realised last year when I recieved a fine through the post for 80 pounds from a different debt agency saying that I’d not got any valid car tax(I pay 30pounds a year and normally just wait for the reminder to come through) but because I’d not updated my v5(I had updated my driving license) and stupidly forgot to do so I paid the fine and went to the post office to buy a new v5 as I couldn’t find my old one and to pay a years tax at the same time.

Fast forward 2 months later at the back end of last year a letter from the DVLA(they had my new address at that point obviously) to say my car had been seen on a public road from the time it haven’t been taxed and I was needing to pay an out of court settlement of 49 pounds otherwise they will take me to court which again I paid straight away.

I’ve now received this debt letter and am worried that the 4 months I was driving around without tax(stupid I know) I may have been sent another out of court settlement letter to my old address that I’ve obviously not seen and that’s the one that they’ve sent to court and now a debt agency is chasing. phoned the debt agency and they say I was due in court on the 29th aug last year and the DVLA letter I recieved for 49.00 in Sept was to say I’d been spotted in July so can’t help thinking it’s for a different occurrence.

I tried calling DVLA but they’re not answering calls at the moment with Coronavirus. is it possible to be sent to court for the same thing twice on 2 separate occasions? Anyone with any advise would be great.

Edit - some paragraphs put in: hopefully someone with expertise in this area will be able to follow this and give advice.)

Edited by Avant on 02/04/2020 at 15:45

Ford fiesta - Can you be done twice for having no tax - Falkirk Bairn

Go out 3 days in a row = 3 offences = 3 fines

Tax the car & avoid fines - simples.