Citroen C3 2014 1.2VTI cambelt change - DieselMan1966

Hi

Quick and hopefully easy question as my car is nearing 50k, I would be thinking of renewing the cam belt, tensioners and water pump at around 80k on the basis that once you're in there change everything that could fail.

I know the interval times are 112k, having seen the damage a snapped belt can cause, I would like to know the repair times and is it a major job and rough costs involved

Citroen C3 2014 1.2VTI cambelt change - elekie&a/c doctor

If you have the 3 cylinder pure tec engine, this looks like a fairly complicated operation. Special camshaft and crank lock up tools needed. Plenty of videos on You-tube for more info.

Citroen C3 2014 1.2VTI cambelt change - John F

The cam belt design for this engine was intended to last its life. Even the six figure mileage advisory change is probably unnecessary unless you are unfortunate enough to have one of the batch of crumbly belts which plagued a few early engines. If it works, don't mend it!

Citroen C3 2014 1.2VTI cambelt change - thunderbird

The cam belt design for this engine was intended to last its life.

How can you say that. The OP states that the manufacturers service interval is 112,000 miles (probably a conversion form 180,000 km) and I am pretty sure they know a thing or two about the engines they manufacture.

To the OP. Manufacturers normally give a time and distance interval for service, what is the time limit on the belt? The car is 6 years old and most do not give an interval much longer although on oor Focus's it was 10 years.

Personally I would leave it alone until you reach the manufacturers recomendations. With the reduced mileage we are all doing that could be years away if its 10 year belt.

Citroen C3 2014 1.2VTI cambelt change - Andrew-T

<< The OP states that the manufacturers service interval is 112,000 miles (probably a conversion form 180,000 km) and I am pretty sure they know a thing or two about the engines they manufacture. >>

The durability of belt materials must be pretty well known by now, but when a new engine is designed I doubt that many prototypes will have been tested to belt destruction. The working life of a belt must depend on several factors, such as the amount of flexing per revolution (which will vary with number of pulleys etc) and the vigour of every snatch with starting and gear changes - i.e.the kind of life the car has led (stop-start may contribute here).

The safest way to avoid serious belt damage is a non-interference design of engine. I guess the makers assume a service life for a car of 10 years, so a decent belt may well last that long.

How can you say that.

I read it somewhere fairly reputable. Seems reasonable.

I guess the makers assume a service life for a car of 10 years, so a decent belt may well last that long.

Cars and belts last longer than that these days. Our 2000 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec belt had a design life of at least 150,000 miles. At nearly 20yrs old and 146,000 miles its original belt and its tensioner pulley are still going strong - arguably the life of the average miler car. Twenty years on, cambelts should be at least as good.

Citroen C3 2014 1.2VTI cambelt change - Andrew-T

<< At nearly 20yrs old and 146,000 miles its original belt and its tensioner pulley are still going strong >>

Then I guess it may well be on borrowed time, and perhaps you drive it with a few crossed fingers .... ?

<< At nearly 20yrs old and 146,000 miles its original belt and its tensioner pulley are still going strong >>

Then I guess it may well be on borrowed time, and perhaps you drive it with a few crossed fingers .... ?

Its well cared for life with us is over - it belongs to my son now who will (ab)use it till it dies. The MoT lasts till April next year so he is grateful for up to a year's free motoring. Perhaps longer if the rust isn't economically terminal after another winter. He doesn't do many miles.