Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - Lrac

Question is in the title. At the moment it would be very easy to get my wife's car mot'd. The mot runs out at the end of May. The way things are going nobody can say what the situation will be by then. When I look on line I simply find references stating that you can mot up to 28 days early but I wonder if this is simply to preserve the expiry date.

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - badbusdriver

From the GOV website,

Earliest date you can get an MOT

An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on your current MOT pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Example If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed its MOT.

Example Your MOT is due to run out on 15 May, so the earliest you can get it done is 16 April. However, you take your vehicle for its MOT on 14 April and it passes. This means that the MOT expiry date changes to 13 April the following year.

So, simple answer is no, you can't get an MOT 2 months early.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed

So, simple answer is no, you can't get an MOT 2 months early.

Even more confused now

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - Andrew-T

<< Even more confused now >>

As has been said, you can get an MoT whenever you want, and it will expire 12 months later. However the system gives you a month's grace - you keep the same anniversary date - if you arrange a new test less than a month before it comes due.

I once worked with a paranoid chap who had his Renault 5 MoT'd every 6 months, just to be sure ....

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - Falkirk Bairn

If you MoT it today it will expire 23 March 2021

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - Will deBeast

You can get an MOT every day if you really want to.

No problem putting it in early. As long as you recognise that it will only be valid for a year from the test date.

Lots of car dealers will put a new MOT on a car they're selling, even if it's not due.

Excellent shall get it out of the way as soon as possible thank you.

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - sajid

www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-owners-to-be-gr...s

Here a link to the gov site which says that cars will gave a 6 month extension to their mot

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - Will deBeast

"Due to the unfolding COVID-19 situation, cars and vans and motorcycles due their MOT from 30 March 2020 will have their MOT extended by 6 months.

This will continue until confirmed otherwise.

This will allow vehicle owners to continue to be able to get to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home or do essential shopping.

Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition and drivers can be prosecuted if they drive an unsafe vehicle."

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - dadbif
I checked yesterday and was told the situation was under review, passed MOT 3 weeks early this morning, nothing lost, just annoying, they deferred HGV’s and PSV’s last week, why delay the decision on cars?

Will now wait till nearer the expiry date as usual place and one next to it are now closed.

Edited by Lrac on 25/03/2020 at 14:32

Collected my 306 this afternoon and asked why they had decided to close on Friday, despite being a MoT test station. They chose to go along with guidelines as they would not be asked for many tests with the 6-month extension in force.

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - 57Rebel

If you are able, and can find an MOT test station still trading, I would strongly advise getting it done on time and not taking up the 6 month extension.

It could potentially enhance your cars future resale value with a regular unbroken document history.

If you take up the 6 month extension, as most probably will, bare in mind that in future years MOT stations are going to be twiddling their thumbs for six months and then have to do a whole years work at exactly the time that your MOT will need to be done.

Can I get an MOT 2 months early?. - jc2

If you read the Gov.UK.website,it states that it will automatically give a six month extension to the current expiry date ie.an MOT for 18 months not 12,so the renewals will still be scattered not all at once.

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - nellyjak

If you are able, and can find an MOT test station still trading, I would strongly advise getting it done on time and not taking up the 6 month extension.

It could potentially enhance your cars future resale value with a regular unbroken document history.

I really can't see that being an issue when the reason for a "broken" MOT history would be so obvious and verifiable...it merely extends the validity of the current MOT surely.?

<< I really can't see that being an issue when the reason for a "broken" MOT history would be so obvious and verifiable...it merely extends the validity of the current MOT surely.? >>

As the purpose of the annual MoT is a regular roadworthiness check, and the car is being little used during that 6-month extension, the delay may matter very little. But some vehicles like taxis will be running much as usual, and some may need servicing.every few months - but the MoT record on those is probably of small importance later.

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - FP

Edited by FP on 27/03/2020 at 08:46

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - barney100

MOTs extended six months, need to check you qualify for the dates.

Can I get an MOT 2 months early? - HGV ~ P Valentine

No. On the last one it tells you the earliest you can put it in for a new one.

No. On the last one it tells you the earliest you can put it in for a new one.

To reiterate - it's been explained above - you can have an MoT whenever you like. The 'earliest date' on the certificate shows the month's grace which allows you to keep the anniversary unchanged. Otherwise it moves earlier.