Breakdown cover - johnnyrev

This has been discussed many times before but I thought it was worth a post to see if anyone had any advice or words of wisdom. It’s renewal time for my breakdown cover, which is for the Logan and the MX5. I’ve been with Autoaid for the last few years, but the renewal price has gone up from £43.31 to £59.99, which seems a bit of a hike.

My car insurance are offering RAC cover for a supposed reduced rate of £109! And compare the market offer an array of companies I’ve never heard of from £42 to £120.

I haven’t had to call out anyone out for a breakdown since my mk1 Fiat Panda frequently refused to start (25 years ago), but I feel better having cover in place but do resent paying more than last year, especially when I haven’t called them out for the last year.

Breakdown cover - gordonbennet

It seemed obvious to me that once Autoaid went from a pay and re-claim service to a free at point of breakdown operation that users would be more flippant than before in making long distance or more regular use of the service...the danger a claim could be refused would mitigate those who take unfair advantage.

I wrote to them at the time pointing this out but have yet to receive a reply.

My renewal with them is up this month, but looking at what else is out there, unless somone can come up wth an alternative i will have to renew, i don't require home service a pure recovery service if can't be fixed at the roadside is all i require.

Like you Rev its been years since i needed assistance but the day i don't have breakdown cover, well you know the rest.

Breakdown cover - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I've been a member of the AA since 1973.Their turn out speed and helpfulness has always been exemplary. My wife and I are covered for any vehicle that we are in. Relay and breakdown cover currently costs £143. Quality not cost cutting for me.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 13/03/2020 at 09:32

Breakdown cover - 72 dudes

I've been with Autonational Rescue for years and pay £105 for 2 cars (you get the second car at 50% off)

Like many others they use local contractors to come out to you but I've always found them excellent.

This price is for Supercover which includes roadside assistance, rescue, onward travel, hotel costs, cover if you break down at home and European cover, so you could probably reduce the price if you want a lower level of cover.

Breakdown cover - Andrew-T

When SWMBO's insurance, which includes multi-vehicle breakdown cover, came up for renewal recently we checked the alternatives and decided to stick with that arrangement. The vehicle in question has never needed it, but (my) satellite cars (the older ones) have called for it once or twice. You need to check the T&C's to find out the restirictions.

Our cover costs £74 with LV for Recovery Don't know whether it varies much with postcode, or how often you make a 'claim'. Conf*sed.com shows basic cover with most quotes, but that is the real entry-level thing.

Edited by Andrew-T on 13/03/2020 at 09:40

Breakdown cover - Doc

Don't forget that Autoaid's U.K-wide Car Breakdown Recovery Service covers you as an individual, whatever car you are legally driving and your spouse.

autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

Good point Doc, i was with Autohome for many years, local company, named vehicles which was a pita.

Though again, being a free at point of delivery service instead of pay and claim is more likely to see indiscrimnate use of the service, i dare say the ast majority of regulars here wouldn't dream of taking advantage but the real world out there is somewhat different to this place.

Breakdown cover - badbusdriver

The thing i'd be very interested in finding out, is how the various breakdown cover providers service is affected if you live, as i do, somewhere less populated. I have tried to find this out before, but with no success. Just looking at the overall performance of the various providers may be fine if you live in a fairly well populated part of the country. But how good would, for example, Auto Aid (as they seem to be mentioned a lot on the forum when breakdown cover is the topic) be for myself in rural Aberdeenshire?. I currently have a Green Flag policy, but it is pretty expensive (can't remember exactly how much but i think it is just shy of £200). I had wondered, given that i am always in the same areas, whether or not i should just do away with the cover and instead get a few numbers for recovery services in the specific areas i work. What do forum menbers think?.

In the 10.5 years i have been cleaning wondows, i have only needed to phone Green Flag once, and that was when the fuel pump on my first van failed.

BTW, i do realise a van is likely to be more expensive, but (currently) it is a Caddy, so no bigger than a normal car, and even fully laden, no heavier than most SUV's (unladen).

Breakdown cover - Steveieb

Just switched from LV Brittania to Autoaid after reading this forum and checking Which. Considered Start who do very well but its the fact that Autoaid offer personal cover which swung it for me. This is a much more expensive option with other companies and is ideal if you have more than one car.

At £200 i'd definately be self insuring BBD with the likely area you cover, no doubt you maintain your vehicle well and carry and are capable of changing a wheel or fixing other minor breakdown issues, and like your one and only breakdown you don't need a roadside mechanic you need the vehicle recovering to someone you know is on the ball because no one is going to have such parts in their back pocket or able to fit at the roadside.

That £200 would buy you a decent compact trolley jack the first year's saving alone, i have seen some made of aluminium so a lot lighter to carry on the van to make wheel changing the matter of minutes.

Cash is probably king for rural recovery rates.

Breakdown cover - catsdad
Both the RAC and AA will attend non-members for breakdowns. They are a bit coy about pricing in their online info but forums suggest it's about £175 for one call out with a year's subsequent cover at £85 per call out.

So if you feel lucky this is potentially a free (if you don't use it) backup but I expect you go to the back of the queue at busy times and the recovery will be pretty basic.

As a natural worrier it wouldn't be for me.
Breakdown cover - Falkirk Bairn

Green Flag £60 ish - the put it up every year BUT I phone and say their new customeer price is £xx cheaper,. I said my wife will take out the new customer price & they immediately cut the £xx off.

Of course, driving mainly Japanese cars for the last 25 years, I have only called them once - 2010 cold spell November to March - that day it was -10 C + it had been standing for 3 days or so - my battery needed help. Battery lasted until I sold the car 2.5 years later..

Breakdown cover - Heidfirst

I have mine through Toyota Roadside Assistance (currently this is supplied via AA) which is £72 pa for the full Recovery /At Home incl. Europe & gets very good reviews from Which? I don't need the Euro cover but if you do it's a very good value package.

Obviously, you need to have a Toyota & the only time that I have actually called them out in 10+ years was one night when I had an offside flat tyre where the wheel was frozen on the hub & I wasn't happy with the safety of the supplied jack in the roadside location (the car was rocking as I thumped the wheel from behind).

Breakdown cover - hla

I too have the Toyota cover for my Yaris. As you say it is excellent value if you only have 1 car. Hyundai offered a similar plan and a years cover was included free with my annual service. Had to use it when I had a flat battery in my old i20 at home and an AA man turned up in 30 mins and got me going.

Mrs Rev has the Toyota cover for her Yaris which comes with her service plan. Although it runs out in August, so she can use my Autoaid cover, should I choose to renew (not that her Yaris will ever break down, its seven years old now and seems indestructible!).

Breakdown cover - Falkirk Bairn

>>not that her Yaris will ever break down

I pay GF £60 & I am not expecting a breakdown as such. Only 1 call out in 25 years

It's the puncture, I have a spare, but I am not able to change the wheel in my drive, far less change a wheel on a motorway / side of the road.

Breakdown cover - Big John

For me I have a Joint Nationwide Flex+ account with a £13 /month fee which gives me a few things:-

Europe wide breadown cover for:-

• A car each for mr + mrs bigjohn covered for anyone driving (my son tested this a few years ago after leaving the lights on!)
  • mr + mrs bigjohn covered in any car

Mobile phone cover (used a couple of times to repair broken screens)

Worldwide travel insurance - and we have some declared pre existing conditions inc the big C (a few years ago now)

Works for me especially as I drive abroad a few times a year (er maybe not this year!)

I should have been touching some wood and keeping fingers and toes crossed since starting thread as today the mx5 refused to start. I assumed it was the battery which has had a hard winter due to a faulty alternator which was replaced a few weeks ago. So I fitted a new battery but to no avail. So I have called Autoaid who say someone will be here within the hour.

I hope everyone is ready for a good laugh....the Mazda is now working. I had left the plastic covers on the battery terminals!

Breakdown cover - KB.

I think you'll be forgiven a small slip such as that. I expect the bloke that AutoAid turned out to you would have have seen it as a bonus to have such an easy fix.

If it makes you feel any better I called the RAC telling them I couldn't turn the ignition key in the lock. When he arrived he wiggled the steering wheell a bit, turned the key and that was that. I simply hadn't carried out that crucial wiggle to release the steering lock.

We can all make a fool of ourselves. Some of us more than others :-)

I think he was relieved that it was a simple job! Although I felt a bit sorry for him after he spent a while manoeuvring his van so the front was parallel to the front of the Mazda. Apparently this was so he could get to the battery, but he hadn’t realised the Mazda battery is in the boot!

And then he wasn’t allowed to remove the plastic covers, I had to do it!

Breakdown cover - Senexdriver

Same thing happened with me with a Mk2 Seat Alhambra. The manufacturer warranty had expired the previous day (!) and I hadn't arranged new breakdown cover. I was far from home and stuck in a car park, unable to turn on the ignition. I knew about waggling the steering wheel, but nothing was going to make the key turn in the ignition.

Eventually I rang the Seat breakdown number. The guy told me that unfortunately the warranty had expired the previous day and I pretended that I was unaware, hoping that they might stretch a point, but no. However, what they could do was sign me up for AA membership there and then and a patrolman would come to my aid. Having no alternative, I coughed up whatever the cost was and within 30 minutes the yellow van showed up. The AA man sat in my driver's seat, gave the steering wheel an almighty yank - far harder than I would have dared - and hey presto, the key turned in the ignition. An easy call-out for him and an expensive lesson for me, but at least I then had AA cover for the further year that I kept the car.

Breakdown cover - Theophilus

"When he arrived he wiggled the steering wheel a bit, turned the key and that was that."

Reminds me of the time (many years ago!) when first arrived in East Africa ... collected a nondescript green Datsun estate car from garage and drove to post office to collect mail.

On crossing the road to return I found I couldn't open the car door, but fortunately passenger door unlocked (bless you SWMBO!) - got in, climbed across to driver's seat and tried to turn key in ignition but failed. Jiggled steering wheel and soon crowd gathered and car became dark as more & more faces peered in at the sight of a "mzungu" unable to start his car.

Eventually one of the onlookers tapped the window, I opened the window and he said (in English, fortunately) "excuse me, but you seem to be sitting in the wrong car"

I had inadvertently broken into his car (to all intents and purposes an identical vehicle) to mine which I had parked 20 yards further along the street!

Breakdown cover - Steveieb

Bought the extra cover from Auto aid which refunds the cost of lost keys etc.

£12 i think. Piece of mind definitely.

Thanks for your recommendation after 25 years with Brittania i am making the move !