confused by low visibility windscreen? - pete2000

Hello again,

Thanks for the advice about vehicle purchasing in another thread. I purchased a used Honda Civic and am very happy with it.

The car was approved used and spotless having been valeted etc.

My issue is with the windscreen. Apparently the car has been polished and whatnot but my visibility is pretty bad during the rain (which has been relentless as of late).

on every 'return' wipe, there appears to be these foggy blotches on the outside. I've obviously tried various settings from the inside to clear the windscreen and it's definitely not a mist issue. There's no streaks.

Wipers were new as part of the car prep.

During the day with no rain it's totally clear, but when the rain is coming down the visibility is low with these cloudy spots especially at night.

I tried making a vinegar/alcohol solution and gave it a wipe but doesn't seem to have done the trick. Is it some kind of deposit on the outside of the glass, or maybe some weird issue I may have missed.

Is it fixable or should I let the dealer deal with it (no pun intended).

Appreciate any feedback.

confused by low visibility windscreen? - focussed

I had an 07 Civic FN3, the screen is steeply raked which doesn't help visibility, if it developed the greasy patches I used to use glass polish which cleans all the traffic grime and grease off. Best to use it before or during washing the car so it can be rinsed off, it dries to a very fine white dust. I think it was Turtle Wax brand, Autoglym also have it.

Edited by focussed on 24/02/2020 at 23:50

confused by low visibility windscreen? - JoeB

I recommend the 'All Shine' clay bar. Available from a well known online seller..."Easy Paint & Glass contamination Remover For Industrial Fallout, Over-spray & Rail Dust".. Worked very well for me and only £7.50. Just use with a little soapy water to lift off the contaminants and then finish off with normal car glass cleaner.

Obviously you could go back to the dealer but it just may be a lot less hassle to sort it out yourself.

confused by low visibility windscreen? - catsdad
It may well be that the presales valet of the paint has led to overspray of some polish product. In which case I'd second the suggestions made.

I am a recent convert to clay barring as Joe suggests and have just done my screen with a clay mitt. This seems more effective than other screen cleaning products I have used, particularly in how few passes are needed to get it clean. However exercise care as over enthusiastic use or insufficient lubrication may itself lead to marks. Online opinion is divided as to how much risk there is but just go easy.

Finally are you certain they did change the wipers? I had a Civic with perfect looking wipers and nothing I used would achieve a fully clean screen. As a last resort I changed them and the difference was amazing.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will inspect the wipers but according to them they replaced front and rear and as it was approved used they have done a lot of things on the car (new tyres, servicing, alloys etc) so it would be weird to say they changed the wipers of all things and not do it.

I will try this clay bar. I don't want to be stuck in a scenario of having to spend tens of pounds on different products (to find something that works) to clean something that the dealer should've made sure was fine, especially as it is interrupting visibility.

So from the description of the issue (only appearing during wet weather, no streaks just cloudy blotched) it shouldn't be a fault with the glass itself and likely an outside contaminant.

confused by low visibility windscreen? - Steveieb
Just as a matter of interest is the screen an OE which would be marked Pilkington or Saint Gobain or one of the pattern screens fitted by the windscreen replacement people ?
confused by low visibility windscreen? - catsdad
Pete much as I recommend Approved used schemes it's the motor trade you're dealing with!

My approved used Civic was handed over with a magic seat that wouldn't stay up, faulty seat belt warning lights and transit film damage to the bonnet clear-coat. My approved Golf was handed over with several inches of water in the spare wheel well.

So if the existing wipers looked OK they might well have "forgotten" to replace them.

Having said that my money is still on polish overspray.

Edited by catsdad on 25/02/2020 at 08:58

Pete much as I recommend Approved used schemes it's the motor trade you're dealing with! My approved used Civic was handed over with a magic seat that wouldn't stay up, faulty seat belt warning lights and transit film damage to the bonnet clear-coat. My approved Golf was handed over with several inches of water in the spare wheel well. So if the existing wipers looked OK they might well have "forgotten" to replace them. Having said that my money is still on polish overspray.

Good grief!

confused by low visibility windscreen? - bazza

I have a Civic and have the same windscreen smeariness. I have found that warm sugar soap solution applied with a clean microfibre cloth works the best for me. I might try the clay bar technique too, and also look at traffic film remover. A change of wipers helped but didn't completely eradicate. It's something to do with the glass surface, it varies depending on the weather, outside temperature etc, humidity etc.

confused by low visibility windscreen? - Steveieb
Just as a matter of interest is the screen an OE type such as Pilkington or Saint Gobain of one of the pattern Chinese screens fitted by the windscreen replacement companies to older cars ?
confused by low visibility windscreen? - joegrundy

I'd try the very low-cost option first - the 'magic eraser' white sponge things sold in cheapo shops for about £1 for four.

Can be used with just water, bit of detergent, window cleaner, etc. and will remove a lot of detritus without scratching. Also effective if it is polish overspray (I wonder if it could be a 'detailing spray' like Demon Shine) is a 10-20% IPA solution.

Worth cleaning the wipers with window cleaner or similar while you're at it.

Edited by joegrundy on 25/02/2020 at 10:54

confused by low visibility windscreen? - Manatee

It just has to be clean and it's probably silicone causing the problem. It's hard to remove the film completely because it gets right into the surface and solvents alone are hard work because you need to repeat and repeat as the solvent dissolves (obviously) the pollutant and spreads it around again. That's why it's essential to dry off with lots of clean paper towels or cloths rather than letting the solvent evaporate. A glass cleaner that leaves a powdery deposit might work better, I assume the residues are supposed to end up in the powder.

Regardless of whether they are new, you'll also probably have to replace the wipers as they will be contaminated. You can try cleaning them first, the same applies it will take a lot of getting rid of.

confused by low visibility windscreen? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I'll bet it is something like Rainex. A product which I've tried but produces an effect like viewing the outside world through net curtains.

Not for me, but other people like it.

Mine was cleaned off with meths and Autoglym glass cleaner.

confused by low visibility windscreen? - Bromptonaut

I'll bet it is something like Rainex. A product which I've tried but produces an effect like viewing the outside world through

Rain X is excellent on side windows but an absolute menace on glass swept by wipers.

Thank you all for the responses. I responded earlier but I must've not clicked send.

In answer to some of the questions

- the windshield says pilkington honda on it.

- I've informed the dealer as they should really deal with it, am not too comfortable at this visibility.

- I may well try a low cost option just to see. Already tried wiping vigorously with a cleaner.

- The wipers look and seem new, but if it is having this smeary effect then maybe they are somehow contributing.

Essentially when the wipers work, it's like the effect left when you are wiping a window or mirror with a damp cloth where there's residual smear or dots that tend to fade after a few seconds, although obviously with the wipers working constantly in heavy rain it is constant visibility interference in your face. When I actually wipe the windscreen with a cloth it is the same effect.

The screen feels smooth to the touch so not sure if that's an indicator that there isn't anything on the screen. Will try to buy a cheap product like the eraser or something described above but looking at the clay and various other things that may be needed (up to and including wipers) it can build up in cost without a potential solution.

Really hope it's not the nature of the car as described above as it currently meets all my spec. Pot luck to see how the dealer responds especially as they're over an hour away from me.

Thanks again

Hi there,

Just for completion purposes as it seems to have been fixed, the dealer used some kind of degreasing treatment which cleared it and put a rain repellent treatment on it (which I didn't want as from feedback it seems to cause such issues) but at least the windscreen is clear now.

I'm not sure what a degreasing treatment is, but if it helps point someone in the right direction hopefully it'll be useful.

Thanks for all the responses.

confused by low visibility windscreen? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I just hope it's OK the next time it rains. Rainex water repellant can cause the symptom you complained of.

confused by low visibility windscreen? - grumpyscot

I use Holts Mixra screen cleaner, with a magic eraser. Spray on to the glass, leave for a few minutes then rub vigorously with the magic eraser. Rinse off and then do the same with wiper blades. And do it early morning or late evening when it's not too hot, so that the soap doesn't dry before you "erase" it.