- GingerTom
Re online service history: When I bought my used Mazda (who also store it all online) my non-Mazda dealer logged in and printed off the service history for me. I then bought a generic service book off Ebay for subsequent services. When I come to sell and I can present all this info as evidence of service history. My advice is don't buy the car unless the dealer is willing to print off the service history first.
- Scot5
Contradiction in advice between Little Better and Connective Issue.

HJ - I asked this before but perhaps I missed your reply. You've stated not so long ago that cambelt changes on VW engines are now 40K miles ( you may also have said or every 4yrs whichever comes first ). This is something I wasn't aware of.

In your answer to Little Better in part 1, you said 1.0TSI requires a change every 40K. In answer to Connective Issue above, you say the 1.0TSI is every 5yr.

I'm confused.

Is it not the case the 4yr interval applies only to pre-2009 cars? The VW UP wasn't introduced until 2011.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - Scot5

Confusion throughout VW Group always an issue, especially when it comes to servicing. Appreciate taking the time to reply, thanks.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - stojom

Quite right, surely all dealers have printers. As mr. Gorbachev said, trust, but verify!

- hissingsid
At every annual service by the supplying Mazda dealership, I am provided with a full printout without having to ask for it. When the time comes to sell, the car will have a full written service history.

Too many people listen to bad advice to "go paperless". It is just a ruse by the supplier to save money.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - Marcus T.

Agree. Every Mazda we have had ( 6,3,5 and a 2) when serviced, has had a full print out of the service done. I have kept these in a folder and given them to the new owner when i have sold them.

- jaraab67
French speed limits are clearly shown in all towns and villages. The regulations allow you to exceed limits by 5% (10% if checked by a mobile radar) (5 kph & 10 kph up to 100kph) within which you will not be prosecuted.
Exceed these limits and expect to be prosecuted whatever your nationality.
Simples.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - Patrickbzh
French speed limits are clearly shown in all towns and villages. The regulations allow you to exceed limits by 5% (10% if checked by a mobile radar) (5 kph & 10 kph up to 100kph) within which you will not be prosecuted. Exceed these limits and expect to be prosecuted whatever your nationality. Simples.

Speed limits in towns and villages were reduced many years ago from 60 kmh to 50 kmh. Ratherthan replacing all the "60" signs with "50", the pragmatic decision was to change the law so that the sign showing the name of the town or village also signified the start of the 50 limit; the sign with a bar through, meaning leaving the town or village, signifies the end of the 50 limit. Consequently, there is generally no sign showing a 50 limit in a town or village. Ignorance of the law is not considered a valid defence.

- stojom
Toyota do the same with their services plus You can verify all work done by registering with the my TOYOTA website.
- glidermania
People, especially women, continue to buy what I call these fashion accessory cars such as Audi A1s, purely on brand association. There are plenty of better competitor cars for the A1 that offer greater reliability, dealer maintenance and do not cost anover inflated amount..
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - sammy1

I cannot work out what part of the column your reply refers to? As for the A1 there has been nothing wrong with our A1, it is in my opinion a Quality car compared with most on offer and if reflected in the after sales prices. It also has the DSG auto with drive select and the box is a pleasure to use has have other DSGs I have had in golfs including GTI. Dealer servicing is no different from any other. As regards the comments in other parts of the column regarding stamped records I always keep and file the dealer INVOICE which gives a comprehensive record of exactly what has been done including the parts and fluids used.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - misar

I think the A1 comment was really about Audi value for money. Out of curiosity I looked at the two most recent A1 road tests on this website. Dan Powell's concluding remarks were:

But as a value proposition, there are much better ways to spend £22,000.

and

But there will be many who feel more than a little short changed by the disappointing cabin quality and high list price.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - lordwoody

HJ is anti-VW/Audi and Golfs in particular. He also thinks bullfighting is a great sport, so draw your own conclusions.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - David593

Or draw your conclusions from the way the company does business. Obviously you have missed all the issues with VAG? Emissions scandal anyone? Failing engines due to substandard parts?

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - daveyjp

Agreed. A quick call to any main dealer and service history and warranty claims can be checked. Never believe what a salesman tells you.

I suspect this was bought from a general dealer and was outside of main dealer network due to the unknown history.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - SLO76
The vast bulk of low mileage examples like this are returned to main dealers post lease or PCP or snapped up via ex fleet sales. The only way a smaller non-franchise dealer will have it is if there’s something wrong that excluded it from meeting approved used standards. Often it’s poor paint repairs but missing or ignored service histories are very commonplace.

I know loads of people who run cars on permanent lease or PCP and I’d say as many as half don’t service the things in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines. I used to believe dealers would fine them heavily for missing out servicing but a friend who returned a Ford recently and was initially charged £1,000 for paint damage and never having serviced it had this reduced to £300 after a sob story was given.

Anyone spending £46k on a used Range Rover would be ill advised to buy from anyone other than a main dealer.
- Peter Hobbs
With reference to HJ info on Ford powershift transmissions? We have a 2015 Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost, 30000 miles with this transmission, no problems so far. I wonder what percentage of all fiestas sold with the dry clutch powershifts have been recorded with faults. In the USA there appears to be a lot of faulty vehicles, but are the European ones made in Cologne more reliable? I am hoping so, as in every other respect the car is excellent.
Chequered Past - Dag Hammar

Re : chequered past. As soon as I started reading this tale of woe I wondered if the car had come from Chelmsford, sure enough, it had. Now the OP has not said where he bought the car from but if it was Saxton 4 x 4 then he may be aided by the following.

They were successfully taken to court by Trading Standards and fined £27,375 plus costs of £37,375 in Oct/Nov 2019. All of this info is in the public domain and the case was widely reported in Essex newspapers and a Suffolk newspaper.

Edited by Dag Hammar on 22/02/2020 at 16:58

- stojom
That’s the trouble buying a car from a dealer miles away especially if it’s non franchised and you can’t even appeal to the manufacturers. Would rather pay a bit more at franchise dealer than a second hand garage for piece of mind, hopefully.
Regarding ford power shifts complaints to hj are all from European owners I believe, still time!
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - Dorset123

Quite right about buying a car from someone miles away, The best way to buy a car is to buy it from a local dealer who you know is trustworthy. The reason why people search the internet to find the cheapest price is that they can't really afford what they are looking for. A much better way of buying a car is to see what the local dealer has for the money you can afford and buy it from them.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - groaver

Quite right about buying a car from someone miles away, The best way to buy a car is to buy it from a local dealer who you know is trustworthy. The reason why people search the internet to find the cheapest price is that they can't really afford what they are looking for. A much better way of buying a car is to see what the local dealer has for the money you can afford and buy it from them.

I'm sorry but that's wrong on many counts.

Still, if you keep buying local, I'll be able to source the most competively priced car of they type I'm looking for and not end up paying over the odds and still have peace of mind.

- SLO76
“ have a Honda Jazz coming up to 4 years old with 25,000 miles. It’s mainly used for going to the Golf Club (a 10 mile round trip) and around town, with the odd 150 mile journey now and again. We have a Mazda CX-5 for the long trips. I think it would be good to be environmentally friendly, so thought I might go electric. But don't know where to start looking. I like the Jazz because the golf clubs can stand in the rear footwell as the seat swab folds up. Where would you recommend I start?”

Keep the Jazz. It’s utterly reliable, it fits its brief as a practical second car that covers a low mileage perfectly and will still be delivering reliable service in a decade or more if looked after. Switching to an electric supermini would save less than £500 a year in fuel U to which doesn’t come close to adding up financially.

An electric city car starts at £17k upwards plus the battery packs need replaced at huge cost at 7-8yrs if you want any worthwhile range. This impacts depreciation severely which will more than wipe out the above fuel saving.

For the low mileage use a much more costly hybrid doesn’t add up either. I’m always amazed at the number of Yaris and Jazz hybrids I see for sale with peanut mileages up. Who bought them? They will have cost the first owner substantially more than a much cheaper straightforward petrol model.

Electric cars are much more costly to the environment to built too and generate emissions via the power stations that power it. I’d say that you would better serve the environment by keeping your current car much longer. This save the need for another car being built.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - MoDo613

You assume it was either no replacement car or an electric car. But it sounds as if the car will be replaced anyway. Far better to replace it with something that doesn't poison those who live in the vicinity it is driven. Wouldn't worry about the power stations. 50% of our power is already renewable and increasing daily. No fuel car will benefit from this increase in renewable energy. Besides filtration in a static dedicated sealed system is infinitely better than a regularly cold-starting variably efficient engine. Finally please stop peddling the myth about batteries requiring replacement. Find me an engine that has a 100,000 mile, 8 year warranty -that ought to indicate just how reliable and long lasting EV batteries actually are.

- stojom
Groaver
If you buy a second hand car which is out of manufacturers warranty from a dealer miles away you will have to deal with them if things go badly wrong and require frequent trips. Who would want that hassle.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - groaver
Groaver If you buy a second hand car which is out of manufacturers warranty from a dealer miles away you will have to deal with them if things go badly wrong and require frequent trips. Who would want that hassle.

Mine don't tend to be out of warranty when purchased.

But research goes a long way.

- hissingsid
There is always the option of taking out an after market insurance based warranty which enables you to have any necessary repairs carried out by your local trusted garage. I have done this in the past and it worked for me.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - galileo
There is always the option of taking out an after market insurance based warranty which enables you to have any necessary repairs carried out by your local trusted garage. I have done this in the past and it worked for me.

May work as long as you have carefully read the small print about exclusions before buying and nothing goes wrong that is on the list of exclusions.

There have been several stories of disappointment and distress when the "warranty" won't cover the problem.

- stojom
Sad to say honestjohn.co.uk in administration really hope it can be saved. It’s a public service
Sad to say honestjohn.co.uk in administration really hope it can be saved. It’s a public service

Apparently it has been bought by Heycar an online car selling company who say it will continue as an independent voice. Hope that’s true seeing who their backers are ( a well known German car company)

Edited by stojom on 01/03/2020 at 11:17

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 22-02-2020 Part 2 - Engineer Andy

Yes, we know and was discussed a while ago on the following Backroom thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/133996/n-a---futur...f

removed by poster.

Edited by stojom on 01/03/2020 at 12:47

- stojom
Yes I put it here as many might not read the back room. I normally don’t.