BMW X3 - fix/sell or sell a sorn money pit? - pete2000

Hi people,

As I've recently joined and benefited from advice here, I just thought I'd get an opinion that may help a friend of mine.

They have been driving a low usage 2.0 diesel BMW X3 2006 which has a valid MOT for a while but current status is SORN and not on the road.

According to dealer when they last checked it, the quote was

1 aux belt damaged,

2 under tray damaged,

3 rear exhaust heat shield insecure/broken

4 water pump collapsed.

They said 1 and 4 were the essentials (water pump and a serpentine belt) and can be done for 500-600 dependent on original parts or not. The other two aspects would almost double that quote but weren't essential.

Question is, how to get rid of vehicle with maximum value for a non-tech person. Considering tax is around 300, that means dealer repair+ tax is 800-900 which is likely not far off the car value.

option A - Is there a way to get rid of it whilst SORN for a decent amount? (maybe a company exists that can take such items?)

or option B - is it better to tax then repair at a non-dealership and sell? (possibly to those any-car-buying companies?)

Any tips would be great!

BMW X3 - fix/sell or sell a sorn money pit? - edlithgow

IF DIY isn't an option, doesn't sound worth fixing commercially, and if it was an option (as it might be for me), fixing-to-sell doesn't sound very motivating.

Again, with DIY, parting it out might maximise your yield.

I suppose you could do that on a "buyer dismantles" basis but then you'll have a scrapyard on your driveway for a while, and people might knick bits.

Sorry. dunno about the Any Car outfits, but you could always ask.

BMW X3 - fix/sell or sell a sorn money pit? - Maxime.

Put it on Ebay. buyer collects will need to trailer away.

BMW X3 - fix/sell or sell a sorn money pit? - Ian D
As stated above, list on eBay with good photos and an accurate detailed description including details of service history, tyre condition, etc, start the bidding at a £1000 and see what happens. Make it clear the winning bidder must pay and take it away within a few days or maybe a week. There are always people out there that like a small project like your X5

Edited by Ian D on 19/02/2020 at 07:09

Thanks for the recommendations.

I will advise ebay then. Hopefully that'll do the trick although I always am suspicious of those paypal refund scams.

It sounds ideal if people exist that'll wanna have a crack at it.

BMW X3 - fix/sell or sell a sorn money pit? - Andrew-T

It sounds ideal if people exist that'll wanna have a crack at it.

I'm not interested or a BMW person myself, but those problems don't sound horrendous to me, and I'm sure there are some folk who would be happy to reinstate a car which is in otherwise good nick. That's what you have to get across. What would be your realistic valuation of that car in good running order?

Thank you for the response. Not sure about valuation to be honest it isn't my vehicle. But the mileage is in the 70s and such cars seem to be in the 2000 gbp range or more on autotrader. For a hypothetical not in seller's favour let's say it is 1500 gbp

One thing I didn't realise is the tax can be purchased for 6 months so effectively reducing net cost to tax and fix. Also the non dealer prices are around 300 for the 2 essential components meaning a cost of 450 including tax the car would be drivable and more sellable with a likely profit of over 1000.

There may be further costs down the line but having done the calculation I may have answered my own question. Better to fix/sell after replacing the two components.

BMW X3 - fix/sell or sell a sorn money pit? - Chris M

Remember the tax doesn't get sold with the car. Your friend will get the balance (full months) back.

BMW X3 - fix/sell or sell a sorn money pit? - Andrew-T

There may be further costs down the line but having done the calculation I may have answered my own question. Better to fix/sell after replacing the two components.

Clearly you will hit a bigger market on E-bay, but if the car is a nice one it may be worth putting an ad on a BMW enthusiast website ?

Cheers I've noted your points. Thanks again for all the help.