If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - Avant

....it's worth checking in advance that the dealer will have the car charged.

You'd think that would be obvious - but not to the salesman I met this morning at a BMW dealer just outside Bristol (I won't name them but you could call the name slightly unfortunate).

They had a BMW 225xe available (most dealers don't), and as I like to start a short-list a year or so in advance I arranged a test-drive - only to find that it wouldn't run on electric power. Battery low, according to the screen.

I've generally been lucky with car salespeople in the past: this one was keen and friendly but was new to the job and had no product knowledge of hybrids. I spoke to his manager afterwards and apparently they go on training courses only when there's a new model. Otherwise they have to teach themselves - plainly absurd when there is so much 'tech' in modern cars.

I might try again with a different dealer when the X1 PHEV comes out in the summer.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - craig-pd130

That's very poor, considering every BMW dealer I've visited has multiple fast-charging points.

Mind you, the 225xe that I test-drove before ordering one was uncharged, too, but I did have it for the weekend so I got the chance to drive it in electric-only mode.

BMW recently upgraded the battery on the 225 to 10KW (from 7.5KW) which means the electric-only range is now a genuine 20+ miles even in winter, according to a couple of people on the EV forums.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - Sulphur Man

Its a perennial wonder why dealers, of nearly every flavour, put staff on the shopfloor with limited product knowledge and, often, lacking simple professionalism.

For many potential customers, this is the first point of real contact with a dealer. Making an advance appointment by phone might be a slick process, but the end result is often wildly different.

The other explanation is that dealers arent bothering being new car point of sale anymore, due to the power of online car brokers. They put their efforts into servicing and used sales.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 14/02/2020 at 12:20

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - oldroverboy.

Having just ordered a new KIA Sportage, the Kia salesman knew his stuff, but there again, a not so grizzled approaching mddle age.. not some spotty wonder just out of short pants.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - concrete

A late friend of mine back in North Yorkshire was the local sales manager for a garage group that had Jaguar Land Rover, Audi, Citroen etc. They were directly opposite the BMW dealership. He always reckoned that the high handed attitude displayed by the average BMW salesman created lots of sales for them. He said he would often witness a customer leave the BMW showroom and come over to them. After tea/coffee and a talk it often emerged that the BMW people were very snooty and sniffy which put a lot off their products. I suppose that could be down to the individual dealership and I cannot see a business lasting the course if they kept that up. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. recently been in the market and visiting various dealers the level of knowledge combined with common sense is variable to say the least. Nothing against youth, but when combined with ignorance and few social graces it is very unattractive. Cheers Concrete

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - gordonbennet

He always reckoned that the high handed attitude displayed by the average BMW salesman created lots of sales for them.

Not just Nth Yorkshire, good few years ago chap i know thought about buying a BMW, he parked his Focus outside the dealership and wandered in, in short order he was invited to come back when he could afford one...had said clown looked at the (his) professional reg on his Focus he might have realised the chap could probably have bought the dealership, and no he didn't go back.

There are some amazingly stupid people walking about in sharp suits.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - Will deBeast

He said he would often witness a customer leave the BMW showroom and come over to them. After tea/coffee and a talk it often emerged that the BMW people were very snooty and sniffy which put a lot off their products. I suppose that could be down to the individual dealership and I cannot see a business lasting the course if they kept that up. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. recently been in the market and visiting various dealers the level of knowledge combined with common sense is variable to say the least. Nothing against youth, but when combined with ignorance and few social graces it is very unattractive. Cheers Concrete

Yep. Four years ago, I went to the VW dealer to buy a Tiguan or Touareg. I walked out rather than lose my temper and bought a Kia Sorento instead.

The Kia has been fabulous.

I may have told a few people about the experience I received.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - Engineer Andy

Very good point Avant. There was a similar comment on another thread recently about the availibility of power of the 'uprated' ('sportified') Toyota Corolla in 2.0 hybrid form - I mean, what happens when the hybrid battery has completely discharged?

Is it just a lower-powered 2.0 petrol with some heavy batteries to drag around, rather than a 180PS+ car which is actually quite nippy? I presume with a standard hybrid, you'd have to wait some time for the engine on ICE only mode to charge up the hybrid battery, meaning power/torque available would be significantly lower than usual, and probably a lot less than even a non-hybrid ICE car with the same size engine.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - Terry W

Perhaps BMW expect and train their salesmen to behave as their customers often drive - arrogant, get out of my way, I want to be first away from the lights, intolerant etc etc.

Courtesy, restraint, patience are qualities usually found lacking in BMW afficionados - BMW driving members of this forum are obviously exceptions to the general rule!

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - Falkirk Bairn

I popped into what was a Honda garage in my then ageing, but still immaculate, Mazda Xedos - bought it at 2k miles and was the best car I have ever had reliability wise.

A salesman stopped me on going to park my car and without prompting told me the clearance cars were "round the side".

I bought my Honda CRV within 6 months but not from that outlet. Within 18 months it closed and last year the entire "mini chain" had closed for good - they had had 4 Honda site, KIa, Mitsubishi, Suzuki............probably 10 sites in total.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - craig-pd130

Very good point Avant. There was a similar comment on another thread recently about the availibility of power of the 'uprated' ('sportified') Toyota Corolla in 2.0 hybrid form - I mean, what happens when the hybrid battery has completely discharged?

I can't speak for the Toyota, but my 225 never lets the hybrid battery get completely discharged. It always retains 3 to 4% charge in the traction battery as a minimum, so that the full combined output of the petrol and electric motors is available for acceleration etc on demand. It just means that the car won't drive for any significant distance in electric-only mode.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - Heidfirst

Is it just a lower-powered 2.0 petrol with some heavy batteries to drag around, rather than a 180PS+ car which is actually quite nippy? I presume with a standard hybrid, you'd have to wait some time for the engine on ICE only mode to charge up the hybrid battery, meaning power/torque available would be significantly lower than usual, and probably a lot less than even a non-hybrid ICE car with the same size engine.

It's highly unlikely that you would ever see that unless the car has a major fault, letting the battery run that low regularly is bad for it's longevity (& Toyota will warranty the traction battery for upto 15 years subject to a few caveats). The engine in the 2.0l hybrid puts out ~140bhp on it's own (remember that it runs a cycle similar to Atkinson so it follows a higher efficiency rather than higher power approach).

It's highly unlikely that you would ever see that unless the car has a major fault, letting the battery run that low regularly is bad for it's longevity (& Toyota will warranty the traction battery for upto 15 years subject to a few caveats). The engine in the 2.0l hybrid puts out ~140bhp on it's own (remember that it runs a cycle similar to Atkinson so it follows a higher efficiency rather than higher power approach).

But a car on a lot that's been sitting around doing nothing will have a depleted (not necessarily flat) battery, and when it's not in action, the ICE engine will use part of its 140PS to charge up that bettery and to haul its extra weight over a purely ICE car, and as it is tuned for efficiency (more so than a normal ICE car, but less than the 1.8), I'd bet that on ICE-only mode it won't perform like a standard ICE car of the same size with a 2.0 N/A petrol engine.

But a car on a lot that's been sitting around doing nothing will have a depleted (not necessarily flat) battery, and when it's not in action, the ICE engine will use part of its 140PS to charge up that bettery and to haul its extra weight over a purely ICE car,

Yes, the car will use part of it's potential ~140bhp output to recharge a depleted traction battery but cars rarely need to use all of their potential max output purely to provide momentum (do you drive around with your car permanently running at it's max. power rpms?) & a good chunk of the recharge comes from brake regen.

and as it is tuned for efficiency (more so than a normal ICE car, but less than the 1.8), I'd bet that on ICE-only mode it won't perform like a standard ICE car of the same size with a 2.0 N/A petrol engine.

Actually the 2.0 is a fractionally more thermally efficient engine than the 1.8. The car will perform equal to or better (because it will have some electric assistance) than a standard ICE car with an engine that produces 140bhp mated with the same gearbox. For comparison a current BMW 320i produces 184bhp but my old 8 valve Vauxhall 2.0is used to produce under 140bhp.

On the other hand the hybrid will be nicer to drive in stop/start traffic than the NA ICE+stop/start system.

P.S. If you are interested in a sporty Corolla supposedly there is a non-hybrid coming out next year with ~250bhp under the Gazoo Racing badge. Engine is supposed to be a 1.6 turbo.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - bathtub tom
a good chunk of the recharge comes from brake regen.

I find that hard to believe. The amount of time I spend on the brakes is minimal. Do you have sources to support it?

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - Bromptonaut

I find that hard to believe. The amount of time I spend on the brakes is minimal. Do you have sources to support it?

Do you actually need to be 'on the brakes' for regen to occur?

I suspect the EV equivalent of engine braking = regen.

I'm pretty sure that's right, Bromp. Most EVs have adjustable levels of deceleration (and regeneration): if it's set to maximum I'm told that you hardly need to use the brakes in normal driving.

But I don't think it's enough to prolong the range by a huge amount.

e.g. www.thoughtco.com/how-does-regenerative-braking-wo...5

N.B. you don't actually need to be "on" the brakes for regen to occur.

e.g. www.thoughtco.com/how-does-regenerative-braking-wo...5

N.B. you don't actually need to be "on" the brakes for regen to occur.

That does mean the car either loses speed and needs more throttle input or cannot coast at a constant speed. Handy though on a downslope.

Handy though on a downslope.

Toyota hybrids actually have a "B" (for Braking) setting on the transmission for long, steep declines.This increases energy harvesting from the brake system thereby simulating engine braking

Edited by Heidfirst on 16/02/2020 at 14:48

Toyota hybrids actually have a "B" (for Braking) setting on the transmission for long, steep declines.This increases energy harvesting from the brake system thereby simulating engine braking

Can it be switched off, e.g. on less steep declines so that you can coast at a steady speed? Or is it all automatic with some sensor to determine when it's needed and not?

Yes - you just don't set the lever to B.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - gordonbennet

Toyota do make a decent job of things, that's not dissimilar to the auxilliary brake (eg exhaust brake or jake brake or other retarder) as fitted to trucks and coaches, except up to now there's no viable weight wise way to harvest that energy and it's purely to assist with or as alternative to braking.

But a car on a lot that's been sitting around doing nothing will have a depleted (not necessarily flat) battery, and when it's not in action, the ICE engine will use part of its 140PS to charge up that bettery and to haul its extra weight over a purely ICE car,

Yes, the car will use part of it's potential ~140bhp output to recharge a depleted traction battery but cars rarely need to use all of their potential max output purely to provide momentum (do you drive around with your car permanently running at it's max. power rpms?) & a good chunk of the recharge comes from brake regen.

Only if you're using the brakes often, which is essentially urban driving, otherwise it won't add as much charge to the battery. I get your point though - I just think Toyota are marketing the car as a bit more 'sport' when in reality there'll be little chance to use that 2-3 sec reduction in 0-60 time for extended periods if you mainly drive out of town.

P.S. If you are interested in a sporty Corolla supposedly there is a non-hybrid coming out next year with ~250bhp under the Gazoo Racing badge. Engine is supposed to be a 1.6 turbo.

Really? Didn't they just get rid of the 1.2T, presumably because they wanted to reduce their EU corporate CO2 figure to get less fines per car for going over the 'limit'? Rather like why Mazda didn't introduce the 2.5L N/A petrol engine to the Mazda3 in the UK (they also have a stonking 2.5T on their larger cars in North America and Down Under).

Well, if it does reach our shores, then I wouldn't be surprised that it does so in very limited numbers, rather like the Yaris equivalent. And I suspect that the ride will be as hard as nails, never mind the price (the 2.0 hybrid already as a RRP of £27k). I'd probably stick to the 2.0 if I was to go with any of them as 180PS is fine, though I'd rather have it on tap all the time.

Really? Didn't they just get rid of the 1.2T, presumably because they wanted to reduce their EU corporate CO2 figure to get less fines per car for going over the 'limit'? Rather like why Mazda didn't introduce the 2.5L N/A petrol engine to the Mazda3 in the UK (they also have a stonking 2.5T on their larger cars in North America and Down Under).

Well, if it does reach our shores, then I wouldn't be surprised that it does so in very limited numbers, rather like the Yaris equivalent. And I suspect that the ride will be as hard as nails, never mind the price (the 2.0 hybrid already as a RRP of £27k). I'd probably stick to the 2.0 if I was to go with any of them as 180PS is fine, though I'd rather have it on tap all the time.

Yes, supposedly will use the same engine as in the forthcoming new Yaris GR although it's not clear if the Corolla will also get the 4WD of the Yaris GR.

I think planned as very much a halo vehicle & therefore very limited nos. & impact on fleet emission targets (similar to Supra). Also don't expect to be cheap compared to e.g. Focus ST, Civic R or Golf R.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - Falkirk Bairn

There were problems with the BMW charging electronics - hence cars used as demos were left uncharged.

BMW needed the spare parts for failed customer cars rather than repairing demo cars.

I understand that the cars were upgraded under warranty but it took ages to get the parts.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - catsdad
Avant your reference to the name made me smile. If I am right with my identification, we used to go past one of their sites when the kids were young. They used to love calling out the first name as a question with the surname as an answer.

If you're going to test-drive an EV or PHEV.... - thunderbird

And that is possibly why traditional Hybrids gets such poor economy when used mostly on the motorways compared to those used in town. I went up to Leeds/Bradford yesterday, about a 150 mile round trip mostly on motorways. I hardly ever braked, I still use the art of anticipation even though cruise is set. A hybrid would have probably done me no favours at all. other than making me feel all warm and cuddly because I was being "green". But if you really want to be green ride a push bike, walk or stay at home (with the heating off wearing extra jumpers)

And that is possibly why traditional Hybrids gets such poor economy when used mostly on the motorways compared to those used in town

They are not the optimal solution for high mileage, high speed motorway munching where a turbodiesel is probably still the best solution. The reverse is probably true for mostly urban work though so it's all about choosing the right solution for your predicted needs.